The Wild Eric

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

52 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

The question is why were Disney so confident in both Elemental and Indy? This is like Eternals all over again where Disney thought they had something truly good on their hands.

I think the situations are different.

I think Disney was confident in Indy and wanted to overshadow MI7 and get everyone in buying and buzzing 1st, since it's a huge overlapping audience...but was throwing a hail mary on Elemental to just try anything to build buzz.

Neither decision worked out.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KP1025 said:

The question is why were Disney so confident in both Elemental and Indy? This is like Eternals all over again where Disney thought they had something truly good on their hands.

IDK, what's the alternative to Cannes?

For my anxiety's sake I'm glad they ripped the band aid off earlier. It certainly would've been a good idea if it was in fact a great movie.

In hindsight, I think everyone involved in the movie may have mistakenly assumed that all their technical prowess and topical racism themes would be enough to earn the movie public approval, and neglected to focus on narrative cohesion and depth.

Edited by AniNate

Speaking of budgets, Disney also had a time when its movies cost way too much

Like Treasure Planet costing $140 million or Home on the Range costing $110 million.

Disney seemed to "solve" this problem by keeping costs from rising faster (except for Tangled though)

I also think that we (myself included) expect way too much from Pixar, except for the Cars franchise. If Brave, Onward, or Turning Red, to give some examples, were released by Disney Animation, Illumination or DreamWorks they would not be considered mediocre or bland to some people. With this I am not saying that those movies aren't great or that the other studios don't have excellent movies (I think the HTTYD trilogy, Zootopia or the first Despicable Me are excellent movies) but it's like expecting every DreamWorks movie to be another Puss in Boots 2 or Shrek 2 type of critical success.

Of couse I am not implying that Pixar (nor the other studios tbh) should release movies on the level of The Boss Baby, Pets 2 or Strange World which IMO were awful but more like we can't expect every single Pixar movie to be another Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Ratatouille, Inside Out or Soul. 

Edited by AN9815

19 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I also think that we (myself included) expect way too much from Pixar, except for the Cars franchise.

I was never really a Pixar loonie until Turning Red came out. I acknowledged they had good/great stuff in the 90s and 00s but I wasn't like, a stan.

Zootopia used to be my main jam and that's a WDAS movie.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I was never really a Pixar loonie until Turning Red came out. I acknowledged they had good/great stuff in the 90s and 00s but I wasn't like, a stan.

Zootopia used to be my main jam and that's a WDAS movie.

Zootopia is probably the best WDAS movie of the 2000s. Turning Red is pretty good but I myself prefer Luca or Soul, which I think are amazing, over Turning Red. It is so sad that all three movies went directly to Disney+

5 hours ago, AN9815 said:

I also think that we (myself included) expect way too much from Pixar, except for the Cars franchise. If Brave, Onward, or Turning Red, to give some examples, were released by Disney Animation, Illumination or DreamWorks they would not be considered mediocre or bland to some people. With this I am not saying that those movies aren't great or that the other studios don't have excellent movies (I think the HTTYD trilogy, Zootopia or the first Despicable Me are excellent movies) but it's like expecting every DreamWorks movie to be another Puss in Boots 2 or Shrek 2 type of critical success.

Of couse I am not implying that Pixar (nor the other studios tbh) should release movies on the level of The Boss Baby, Pets 2 or Strange World which IMO were awful but more like we can't expect every single Pixar movie to be another Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Ratatouille, Inside Out or Soul. 

Well Pixar kinda set themselves up here hyping up how technically innovative it is and giving it a Cannes bout. 

Call it "unrealistic expectations" I guess but Pixar movies are some of the few that come out every year that I really get excited for, and it's because of that combo of technical innovation and feel good but deeply moving narratives that they built their rep on. This had the added narrative for me of hoping Sohn would fare much better both with critics and paying audiences with his own idea and passion project. 

Edited by AniNate

3 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

So, how many more flops before we should start the conversation as to whether Disney needs to replace Pete Docter? Seems he is a competent director but completely clueless when it comes to being a creative head.

I think there may start to be some questioning if Elio meets the same fate.