Eric the Minion

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Saw this earlier today.

If kids get excited watching this one, it's probably because of the jaw-dropping animation and the beautiful world Pixar has built. I don't think it's as funny as I thought it would be.

I was surprised by how mature the themes were. I don't think kids will understand most of the subtleties, and they might get bored a little bit at certain parts. I feel like adults would love it more.

There's a lot of social commentary here that I really liked. The story was definitely familiar, but how it was done here was fresh. I didn't care much about the romance stuff. It's just not for me 😅, but I feel a lot of people would like it.

And again the animation was incredible. Just incredible, especially the water and its effects and the details of the world itself. The fire effects also looked different from the rest of the world. I just think Pixar is in a league of its own when it comes to this aspect.

Overall, I enjoyed this.

Also, I thought Carl's Date was just okay.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Elemental ends up at number 1 in its second week.

For all the doom and gloom about this film and Pixar in general, it's good that they've produced another quality film.

No chance it's #1 next week unless The Flash suffers catastrophic drop like 75%+.

2 hours ago, Grebacio said:

As I said on Ruby Gillman's thread, i wouldn't be surprised if this has a laucklaster OW, but ends up with a respectable gross due to great legs, since there are no family films opening on July.

Still a limit like, with a 30m OW it gets to only an 122m domestic total if it has legs similar to Super Pets which had a 4x multiple.

This was actually really good. First act takes a while to get going, and the initial “story/problem” that kicks off the plot is honestly pretty lame/generic. But man the second two acts kind of rule. Characters are very well fleshed out, and the world feels a lot more lived-in as the film goes on.

Social commentary is nicely handled. This feels like Pixar’s most personal film in years (it very much feels like a writer/director telling a personal story rather than a corporate movie). There are some issues that really hold it back from being top-tier Pixar, mostly script-wise, but I’m not kidding when I say that this is 1-2 drafts away from being nearly Inside Out level. By this I mean there are problems, but they are “obvious” and “fixable” enough that I think the film could have gotten there with a few more rewrites.

Overall very surprised. Sadly I think this will open low, but I think WOM/legs will be great. It will also be a Disney+ monster in the vein of Encanto I think; it’s going to be a very special movie for many specific demographics that I think it will catch on culturally over time.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This was actually really good. First act takes a while to get going, and the initial “story/problem” that kicks off the plot is honestly pretty lame/generic. But man the second two acts kind of rule. Characters are very well fleshed out, and the world feels a lot more lived-in as the film goes on.

Social commentary is nicely handled. This feels like Pixar’s most personal film in years (it very much feels like a writer/director telling a personal story rather than a corporate movie). There are some issues that really hold it back from being top-tier Pixar, mostly script-wise, but I’m not kidding when I say that this is 1-2 drafts away from being nearly Inside Out level. By this I mean there are problems, but they are “obvious” and “fixable” enough that I think the film could have gotten there with a few more rewrites.

Overall very surprised. Sadly I think this will open low, but I think WOM/legs will be great. It will also be a Disney+ monster in the vein of Encanto I think; it’s going to be a very special movie for many specific demographics that I think it will catch on culturally over time.

A lot like Turning Red? In the sense that the director tells a very personal story through the movie and people, who have experienced a similar situation will absolutely love it. (Other people mostly still really liked Turning Red, so I hope that's the case here as well)

(Haven't seen it yet, since it doesn't come out for another week, here in Germany)

• Like 1

TBH I have a feeling this could end up being something closer to Luca than TGD/Lightyear in that, while taking a familiar story, has good vibes and lovable, relatable characters and that's ultimately what drives the WOM. Even a mid-30s OW should be able to get it past the latter two.

5 hours ago, Youngstar said:

A lot like Turning Red? In the sense that the director tells a very personal story through the movie and people, who have experienced a similar situation will absolutely love it. (Other people mostly still really liked Turning Red, so I hope that's the case here as well)

(Haven't seen it yet, since it doesn't come out for another week, here in Germany)

Yes. The people who love it will REALLY love it.

• Thanks 1