Eric the Minion

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

18 minutes ago, T-ReXXR said:

Hmm. That would already be 3.5x with a lot of competition coming. Call me skeptical (that it goes way over, not that it can't match). 

How has skepticisim worked out so far regarding Top Gun: Maverick?

• Like 2

OT: But since someone brought up streaming, HBO Max apparently dropped FB3, so that one has no shot at $100M DOM anymore, I don't think...

What a weird trilogy.  It felt like the recent Star Wars trilogy.  If you try to put the movies together into a sensible trilogy, you're like WTF.  As for this movie, it felt like it should have followed the 1st one, except you know there would have been a few plot problems.  But then again, this one had plot problems, and other problems.

So, I see why it's BO sucked.  It's better in some ways than the 2nd, but worse in other ways.  I think I liked it better than #2, but still not as much as #1 (and why was a headline character sidelined into cameo status when that made literally no sense for the character?).  Anyway...enjoy it if you have Max and you've already seen Top Gun M in theaters!

• Like 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

It's gonna win the summer DOM.  Heck, it may win the damn year DOM, but I forget what's coming out in the fall/winter...

Marvel and James Cameron are feeling so left out right now.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Marvel and James Cameron are feeling so left out right now.

See, I know they shuffled so much stuff in the fall/winter to next year - I'm not sold on Avatar 2 above $450M yet...but is there still a Black Panther 2 that won't kick...that would be worrying:)...

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, I know they shuffled so much stuff in the fall/winter to next year - I'm not sold on Avatar 2 above $450M yet...but is there still a Black Panther 2 that won't kick...that would be worrying:)...

BP2 is releasing in November. 

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

BP2 is releasing in November. 

Thanks, I owe you a like:)!  Is it finished and really releasing then (knowing the issues they've had with the cast), b/c I'm surprised they wouldn't go for the Feb angle again...why change a date that worked so well the 1st time.

PS - If there ever is a Top Gun 3, and I'm not sure there should be...it should obviously stay on Memorial Day weekend and dare someone to release around it...

EDIT TO ADD: And I see it's Veteran's Day down the page - that's a weird date to release a superhero movie...they usually take the 1st Nov weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I don't want to go too over the top based on one night, but the next 8-10 days should be really fun.  I think all the factors are there to see some monster legs and a ridiculous hold next weekend.  

It isn't going to lose a single screen or showtime.  The only thing coming out is Hustle (Netflix) and Crimes of the Future (Netflix), which will both mean absolutely nothing.  The WOM is already off the charts and I believe is actually growing at an absurd rate that we haven't seen in a very long time. 

Sounds crazy, but wouldn't be totally shocked if a $75m second weekend happens.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't want to go too over the top based on one night, but the next 8-10 days should be really fun.  I think all the factors are there to see some monster legs and a ridiculous hold next weekend.  

It isn't going to lose a single screen or showtime.  The only thing coming out is Hustle (Netflix) and Crimes of the Future (Netflix), which will both mean absolutely nothing.  The WOM is already off the charts and I believe is actually growing at an absurd rate that we haven't seen in a very long time. 

Sounds crazy, but wouldn't be totally shocked if a $75m second weekend happens.  

Anecdotally I'm on vacation and have overhead at least 5 people talk about it every day. It's a beast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Thanks, I owe you a like:)!  Is it finished and really releasing then (knowing the issues they've had with the cast), b/c I'm surprised they wouldn't go for the Feb angle again...why change a date that worked so well the 1st time.

PS - If there ever is a Top Gun 3, and I'm not sure there should be...it should obviously stay on Memorial Day weekend and dare someone to release around it...

EDIT TO ADD: And I see it's Veteran's Day down the page - that's a weird date to release a superhero movie...they usually take the 1st Nov weekend...

It's for sure releasing. As for the date, I guess they just don't want to delay it any more than necessary. Anyway this one will be more of an OW player than the first. 

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Just to clarify. It's Neon. Limited release this weekend and wide release next weekend.

It's actually going fairly wide now. Might as well take advantage of an empty weekend and make a few pennies from its niche audience before falling off the face of the Earth.

• Like 1

IFC/Shudder's Watcher seems to be going pretty wide too, no? Seeing a bunch of theaters booking that one that normally wouldn't book something at the 500/600 level.

Not that anything coming this weekend will get in TG's way regardless.

5 minutes ago, datpepper said:

IFC/Shudder's Watcher seems to be going pretty wide too, no? Seeing a bunch of theaters booking that one that normally wouldn't book something at the 500/600 level.

Not that anything coming this weekend will get in TG's way regardless.

Maybe it'll be able to beat Downton Abbey/The Bad Guys.