Eric is Anxious

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Population increased by 10.5% in that decade and the CROI was 29.2% are you taking these factors into account too? 

The question was about adjusting for ticket price inflation or estimated attendance... Average ticket price is the relevant stat for that, because we're strictly looking at, well, ticket prices and attendance.

Crafting a broader formula to judge, say, relative popularity or cultural impact might employ the stats you mention. That would be really interesting to do... But "Adjusting for Ticket Price Inflation" or "Estimated Attendance" has always been a simple calculation.

By the way, is anyone here on Clubhouse? Founded the Box Office Revival there, and it would be great to talk movies and box office with you all there as well:

https://www.clubhouse.com/club/box-office-revival?utm_medium=ch_club&utm_campaign=s3vlLDZN_FfUEl3Lyb1m-g-216921

That's my main social media outlet. I just like doing what amounts to a "live podcast" and audio discussion (can only stare at a screen for so long).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Nah, the scientology thing was a pretty big deal. It was literally parodied in South Park. And there's been the rise of scientology documentaries. He certainly rebuilt his brand and image since then but it was a rough stretch that dimmed his star post War of Worlds. 

The Church of Scientology is gonna be building statues of the man soon.

BRHlcpJ.png

dR0i8Kh.png

UBu0V7A.png

uAxwQnO.png

D9A5lad.png

• Like 3
  • Astonished 3

2 hours ago, Show Me The Legion said:

I was with you up until here but this is just crazy talk. This is a far less impressive debut than AWE, come on. AWE Mon cume was above the contemporaneous OW record, this is less than half. It’s not even a similar ballpark of strength.

I completely disagree with you.  

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Belcher said:

I disagree with everybody. Including myself!

I disagree with that. I do agree though that i disagree with everybody. I can not disagree though to agree with myself.

8 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I got a question for everyone. Do you like early Thursday previews or did you prefer it when it was only midnight screenings?

8 hours ago, AdrianL said:

The culture of going to midnight screenings was fun. I think now the only thing comparable is seeing an MCU film Thursday night but waiting in line and the anticipation was an experience. 

8 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

We still have midnights here in the UK, way better vibes at midnight, the people that are there are the people most excited for the movie as they've had to make some form of sacrifice for the next day

As a fan, the decline in energy from midnights to 7 PM "previews", in my opinion, absolutely sucks. The atmosphere at midnights was utterly electric. It reminds me of home playoff games for big sports team - everyone there is fully invested. The atmosphere at 7 PMs is more akin a sport bar that just happens to have a game on. 

As someone who has been a closet movie geek my entire life, some of my absolute most favorite memories of high school, college, and young adulthood were pregames and then midnight screenings of major event films. Pirates 2, The Dark Knight, The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises - their midnight screenings were incredible experiences. Everyone leaving the theater at 3 AM so amped- pretty sure the theater would have caught fire if someone lit a match after THE DARK KNIGHT or AVENGERS. Even with properties that I was more a casual fan of whose midnights I attended- the Matrix Reloaded, Sith, Transformers 2, Potter 8 - the enthusiasm at those things was beyond contagious. 

Midnight screenings felt like going to a home team playoff game just $10 + food. Totally understand the producers view of 7 PMs and the huge increase in accessibility. But I completely miss the incredible enthusiasm levels that midnight showings used to have. 7 PMers aren't even close to the same.

6 hours ago, Brandon Gray said:

Glad that Top Gun: Maverick pushed the grosses even further, just like Maverick would... 

But the issue is far from moot:

- Preview grosses should be separated from the weekend grosses for every movie.

- Words have meaning: The weekend is defined as Friday, Saturday, Sunday... You don't get to fake reality and pretend that money made on a different day was made on Friday... It is a total joke that we have to have such a term as "True Friday."

- The place for those preview grosses is in the Total Gross.

- You want to count Thursday previews as Day 0 and let it rank on the Thursday chart? That's fine... These preview movies take showtimes from holdovers and are often No. 1 on their preview days, so they should chart to better reflect reality.

- All charts that fold in preview grosses should have those preview grosses sifted out to reflect reality, thus enabling better apples-to-apples comparisons.

Absent a true commitment to accuracy/reality, at least pick a side and be consistent... If new movies get to count preview grosses, then all older movies get to as well.

If Top Gun: Maverick gets to sit on top listed as $160.5 million (instead of ~$141.2 million), then Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End should be listed as $153 million below it, not $139.8 million.

(Then, of course, there's the issue of ticket-price inflation. Estimating tickets sold, etc. is not precise, but it gives a better sense of a movie's popularity. Charts should have that feature as well, because it's not accurate to say Top Gun: Maverick had the "Best" or "Biggest" Memorial weekend ever either... Just saying things like "Top" or "Best" or "Biggest" without qualification implies that a movie was the most popular, when it usually wasn't: in this case, At World's End had much higher attendance out-of-the-gate than Maverick did.) 

Even without taking a side, the inconsistency with reporting is irritating. It is all easily verifiable on BOM.

BATMAN

BATMAN RETURNS

INDEPENDENCE DAY

LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK

MEN IN BLACK

MATRIX RELOADED

PIRATES 3

TRANSFORMERS

IRON MAN

MAN OF STEEL

All of those films bizarrely have their 10 PM previews listed out separately. There needs to be one method. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

There was no doubt during mid noughties(2005/6) timeframe, things went south for cruise. War of the Worlds disappointed relative to expectations back then. Supposedly he had a fallout with Spielberg as well. But next year MI3 despite very good reviews had shockingly low OW(47m) despite opening 6 years after MI2. He had then flops like Lion of the Lambs. His come back of sorts was small role in Tropical Thunder. MI sequels since then cemented his BO status though movies like Knight and day, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion, Jack Reacher movies and The Mummy all disappointed big time. 

This mega success should hopefully start a new resurgence and MI 7/8 benefit from it as well. 

Cruise, like Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears, etc was just way too overexposed by the crazy tabloid culture. People got beyond sick of him during his Katie Holmes relationship bit. Some of them absolutely brought up on themselves in one or another, but being famous in 2004 was 100x worse than being famous in 1994. It is no wonder some of the biggest young stars of the 2000s intentionally took steps back to focus on themselves - something virtually unheard of in 1984 or 1994.

Edited by excel1

7 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

AWE's opening was a relative disappointment at the time. TG2 has blown past all expectations. I guess in that sense you can find the latter more impressive.

Yeah, it's like if Endgame opened to 220 or something. Numerically impressive, but compared to its predecessor...

• Like 1

Did a double feature today. I fucking loved Top Gun Maverick, easily the best blockbuster since Into The Spider Verse. Cruise went bananas and it paid off. I may be tempted to see it again.

Bob’s Burgers was also good fun. The Belchers are the best adult animated family because they feel like an actual family. They’re not bastardized to tell jokes like Rick and Morty or Family Guy, not as bland as whatever family sitcom Fox limps through the barn with for three seasons and they don’t shill product like The Simpsons do now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I completely disagree with you.  

I guess you're free to think whatever you want but thinking that this medium size weekend is somehow more impressive than AWE's massive one is just incredibly weird.

Edited by Show Me The Legion
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Show Me The Legion said:

I guess you're free to think whatever you want but thinking that this medium size weekend is somehow more impressive than AWE's massive one is just incredibly weird.

First, the AWE opening was largely seen as a disappointment and the film sucked.  Second, I think TG2 is far more impressive because it had a lot more to deal with as far as competition from streaming and other entertaiment, the tail end of a pandemic, and having no recent sequel or finale factor to boost it.  

TG2 just blew the doors off after 36 years since the last movie, opening on the same week as Stranger Things and Obi Wan, had to draw out old people from their covid slumber and was a kick ass movie.  

It's far, far more impressive given all the factors.  

• Like 6