Eric S'ennui

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I got a question for everyone. Do you like early Thursday previews or did you prefer it when it was only midnight screenings?

Thursday previews, as far as theater owners and employees go, are a billion times better than midnights. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I got a question for everyone. Do you like early Thursday previews or did you prefer it when it was only midnight screenings?

If the theaterical window isn’t as short as 45 days, I would prefer something late-to-midnight. But the early hour preview was actually a way to “cheat” extra one day theatrical exclusive window as studio seem exclude preview day from the window period. 

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

The culture of going to midnight screenings was fun. I think now the only thing comparable is seeing an MCU film Thursday night but waiting in line and the anticipation was an experience. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

We still have midnights here in the UK, way better vibes at midnight, the people that are there are the people most excited for the movie as they've had to make some form of sacrifice for the next day

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Even a 160.5m 4 days weekend box office giant can't get this thread 100 pages.....

Covid killed the momentum of following box office for many posters here as well.

12 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

While admittedly you lose something when moving away from midnight, both in that the late hour self-selects only the "hardcore" fans who then get to watch all at the exact same time, really don't mind the larger preview day

Similar to how TV viewing used to be appointment viewing, but now with streaming, people are watching within same general window, but at own time/pace

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Where do you think Top Gun: Maverick will end at the worldwide box office, in terms of movies released on Memorial Day Weekend?

$800-850m range

behind pirates awe and alladdin

Edited by BruiseCruise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

$800-850m range

behind pirates awe and alladdin

So third place then. Conservative guess, eh?

Guess Aladdin will probably remain the worldwide box office king of Memorial Day Weekend blockbusters for years to come.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Thursday previews, as far as theater owners and employees go, are a billion times better than midnights. 

Wait, you're telling me babysitting $20-$43.5M worth of Potter/Twilight teens to see a midnight only screening in 2009-2012 wasn't "fun"?

stressed bill murray GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Now that Joseph Kosinski has a big hit under his belt hope he can use that clout to get Tron 3 made!

He really does deserve it. I think he's a fantastic director, really want to see more of his work. 

30 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Even a 160.5m 4 days weekend box office giant can't get this thread 100 pages.....

Half the forum is gone from what it was pre-covid. 

Does anybody know where I can go to see the all-time domestic chart as it existed on specific dates in the past? For example, if I wanted to see what the chart looked like on April 1st, 2002? I swear that I remember seeing such a resource in the past. Thanks in advance!

36 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

7pm shows are fine but earlier than that seems like cheating by adding an extra day.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

7pm shows are fine but earlier than that seems like cheating by adding an extra day.

Yeah, 7/8pm previews were okish, but now its like movies are just straight up releasing on Thursday.

• Like 1