EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's insane.  Don't ever forget that weeks before TG2 was released, some people at Paramount put out a hit piece on Tom Cruise trying to get him to relent to putting TG2 and MI7 &  MI8 on Paramount+ after 45 days and to stop asking for additionl budget on the final MI movies.  

Cruise, in his infinite wisdom, refused.  If he didn't refuse and caved, then TG2 likely makes $300m less WW and same with  MI:7 and MI:8.  It was nearly a $1b mistake.  

Having long, sustained and adjustable windows for theatrical is the best way forward.  Anyone who can't see that at these studios by now needs to get shit canned. 

Stupid ass studio, trying to make the biggest star in the world kneel. Show them hell Tom. 300M budget for MI8. 120 day window for all 3 movies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Best second Saturdays of all time. That's some elite company to be in:

1. Avengers: Endgame - 61.53M (-43.7%) 
2. Star Wars: TFA - 56.73M (-16.9%) 
3. Black Panther - 47.53M (-27.9%) 
4. Avengers: Infinity War - 46.68M (-43.2%) 
5. The Avengers - 42.91M (-38.3%) 
6. Jurassic World - 39.11M (-43.8%) 
7. Beauty and the Beast- 38.29M (-38.9%) 
8. Top Gun: Maverick - 35.9M (-5.6%) 
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 33.84M (-40.1%) 
10. Frozen 2 - 32.36M (-35.3%)

Edited by Tokugennumataka
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's insane.  Don't ever forget that weeks before TG2 was released, some people at Paramount put out a hit piece on Tom Cruise trying to get him to relent to putting TG2 and MI7 &  MI8 on Paramount+ after 45 days and to stop asking for additionl budget on the final MI movies.  

Cruise, in his infinite wisdom, refused.  If he didn't refuse and caved, then TG2 likely makes $300m less WW and same with  MI:7 and MI:8.  It was nearly a $1b mistake.  

Having long, sustained and adjustable windows for theatrical is the best way forward.  Anyone who can't see that at these studios by now needs to get shit canned. 

This year has proven now numerous times - with Top Gun beeing the best example - why the theatrical-only release can still very much work while day-and-date streaming releases collapsed regulary.

I mean its simple, isnt it: Give your movie (especially your tentpole movies) a long theatralic window, make a ton of money and then release it on streaming later and make more money. That way you have the best of both worlds: A short period of time where your movie can be a true event and then the streaming revenue which you would get in any case.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Seeing some num 35.75 may be 

That would be a 43% increase from Friday, a 6% Saturday-to-Saturday drop, and a $90M second weekend is in play (will probably be a photo Monday finish).

Absolutely incredible.

13 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I recall Alex Kurtzman's team put out similar hit pieces. Trying to blame The Mummy all on Cruise instead of his incompetent ass.

I think The Mummy would be even worse without Cruise.

14 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I recall Alex Kurtzman's team put out similar hit pieces. Trying to blame The Mummy all on Cruise instead of his incompetent ass.

#NeverForget

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

TGM showcase a reminder that why leg matters, and we should all preserve a leggy run to protect a true word-of-mouth driven movie, instead of letting every movie go fast burn like in Russia, India and many parts of Asia.

Speaking of leg, I am still baffled by how DS2 missed out $1bn worldwide when its opening was already as huge as $450m. Personally I love the movie and don't understand the hate. 

It was convoluted, disjointed, too long and, again for a Marvel film, it was much ado about nothing. Nothing of consequence happened: in the multiverse setting, NOTHING is of consequence. Every death or serious development has no weight because you might live or get what  you want in another universe. Completely forgettable.

Edited by Xavier
spelling mistake
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I love it as well (Top 5 Marvel movies for me), but i love many things about it that i could cite as reasons why the legs arent that good, for example its light horror aspects, Wandas role or the use of certain cameos.

The cameos are a reason why people felt $1B+ was on the table though.... 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

The cameos are a reason why people felt $1B+ was on the table though.... 

Yes but DS2 also would have easily crossed that 1B if it had a bit better legs. And people beeing disappointed with the kind of cameos they got played a small factor there imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Speaking of leg, I am still baffled by how DS2 missed out $1bn worldwide when its opening was already as huge as $450m. Personally I love the movie and don't understand the hate. 

I blame the Marvel marketing machine for overhyping that movie to hell and back. They advertised it as another No Way Home-level mega event when in reality it is squarely a Doctor Strange story. The constant rumours also didn't help at all. Audiences expected a big event and didn't quite get one, hence the B+ CinemaScore which is pretty bad for capefilms. People are disappointed now, but in time (and the further we get away from No Way Home) I think it'll find an audience.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yes but DS2 also would have easily crossed that 1B if it had a bit better legs. And people beeing disappointed with the kind of cameos they got played a small factor there imo.

Lets not pretend that not having China, Russia and various Middle East didn’t hurt its chances at 1 billion. If it had released in Russia and China alone, it would have made it past the billion (and then some probably)

• Like 7

DS2 is missing a billion because it wasn’t the big event people wanted, but also because the execution of what it was instead was poor. If you had delivered a better small movie that would have led to good enough legs.   

A 45 day window wouldn’t cut anywhere close to 300M off of any movie except maybe Avatar 2, cmon now.     

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Lets not pretend that not having China, Russia and various Middle East didn’t hurt its chances at 1 billion. If it had released in Russia and China alone, it would have made it past the billion (and then some probably)

Im not arguing against that. With China/Russia/Ukraine, 1B would have been a done deal. Im just saying that its short legs for Marvel standards can be attributed to certain elements of the movie.

2 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

DS2 is missing a billion because it wasn’t the big event people wanted, but also because the execution of what it was instead was poor. If you had delivered a better small movie that would have led to good enough legs.   

A 45 day window wouldn’t cut anywhere close to 300M off of any movie except maybe Avatar 2, cmon now.     

You make it like there are a lot of 300m grossers to begin with. 

Just saw The Bad Guys, pretty fun. Funny that the 5 promising weeks in a row from March April are ending up:  

Lost City hit 100M

Morbius miss

Sonic hit

Dumbledore miss (barring shenanigans)

Bad Guys hit 

52 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The new South Park Paramount+ special has a rant about the people working behind the scenes of these subscription services. It was pretty funny.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

You make it like there are a lot of 300m grossers to begin with. 

Worldwide.   

Realistically let’s say this is a 1B movie, a 45 day window cuts off maybe… 60M? A 75 day window like 10M ballpark. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Yeah . But let us not forget it opened to 460m ,even with meh legs it would have made it to 1 billion.

Let's not act like sub civil war legs was the best it could ever reached. 

Did it make a good amount OS-china , definitely but it had way more potential and that money was left on the table.

This should have  gotten to 1.1bn OS-china (2.42)quite well.

This will end close to BVS (2.08*) multiplier global opening.

• Like 2