Eric Quinn

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

Just finished JWD and my worst fears were realised. This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Granted, I fell asleep a couple of times somewhere in the middle, but I saw enough to seriously wonder what the hell they were thinking. How did they manage to make dinosaurs an afterthought, all the callbacks so tedious and forced (Nedry's canister? REALLY??) and the OG cast so charmless and redundant (Poor Sam Neill, he must be so embarrassed after this and also they tried to make Ian Malcolm an action hero (?)).

Where has all of Chris Pratt's charm gone? I guess he is just the most boring white str8 male protagonist ever now? 

How can they have ten (TEN!) people trying to get away at the end? Who were we supposed to identify and care for more? Why was the acting so wooden, the pacing so off and the direction so lacking? Is there a new trope about strong black lesbians in blockbusters nowadays? Do they think that's LGBTQI representation?

Jurassic Park was one of the first movies I saw in cinemas and the experience has been very precious to me. Of course this new, hopefully last, sequel is not enough to ruin my childhood or anything, but it is so sad to see that magnificent idea devolve into this. It doesn't deserve to do well at the box office,  and I hope it plummets.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 2

52-53m for Top Gun. Could pass Last Jedi for 9th all-time 3rd weekend. 

Looking at top 10 4th weekend:

American Sniper- 89.2m (wide expansion)

Force Awakens- 42.3m

Black Panther- 40.8m

The Avengers- 36.6m

No Way Home- 32.6m

The Revenant-31.7m (2nd week of wide expansion)

Endgame- 29.9m

Infinity War- 29.4m

Jurassic World- 29.2m

(Not counting the expansions 9 and 10 are:

Titanic- 28.7m

Spiderman- 28.5m)

Ironically, Black Hawk Down expanded wide for 28.6m

Top Gun should at least target 30m ahead of Endgame, Infinity War, Jurassic World

• Like 1

Top Gun going past estimates with a good 3M doesnt necessarily mean that Dominion increases as well. Clearly, Top Gun is powered by amazing WOM, while the same cant really be said about Dominion.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Just finished JWD and my worst fears were realised. This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Granted, I fell asleep a couple of times somewhere in the middle, but I saw enough to seriously wonder what the hell they were thinking. How did they manage to make dinosaurs an afterthought, all the callbacks so tedious and forced (Nedry's canister? REALLY??) and the OG cast so charmless and redundant (Poor Sam Neill, he must be so embarrassed after this and also they tried to make Ian Malcolm an action hero (?)).

Where has all of Chris Pratt's charm gone? I guess he is just the most boring white str8 male protagonist ever now? 

How can they have ten (TEN!) people trying to get away at the end? Who were we supposed to identify and care for more? Why was the acting so wooden, the pacing so off and the direction so lacking? Is there a new trope about strong black lesbians in blockbusters nowadays? Do they think that's LGBTQI representation?

Jurassic Park was one of the first movies I saw in cinemas and the experience has been very precious to me. Of course this new, hopefully last, sequel is not enough to ruin my childhood or anything, but it is so sad to see that magnificent idea devolve into this. It doesn't deserve to do well at the box office,  and I hope it plummets.

Sorry for the rant.

Specifying this bit feels....weird to say the least.

• Like 8

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Top Gun going past estimates with a good 3M doesnt necessarily mean that Dominion increases as well. Clearly, Top Gun is powered by amazing WOM, while the same cant really be said about Dominion.

For sure. TGM has a much better chance of getting to $600m than it did on Thursday. Rooting for your movie JWD to do well even though WOM is modest at best based on PostTrak and IMDB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

FK did a bigger number (Even if slight) in Incredibles 2's 2nd weekend vs TG:M's 3rd. I've defended Dominion's number here before, but we can't make excuses either. This absolutely could've (and honestly should've) done at least past 150.

EDIT: And Incredibles 2 opened to 180 vs Top Gun's 127.

Honestly I had it around 155-165 range.   So 143 isn't too bad for me.  I knew it was coming under Strange because of the competition.   Again TGM attracts teens to adults which would also see "Jurassic" was well.   TGM has great WOM too so people did see it for the first time this weekend who missed out the last few weeks.  I think that this is actually a sign that the Box Office is getting a little more healthier but I guess we still have a ways to go.   Here's the full Adjusted and Unadjusted for "Jurassic Saga".   They clearly peaked with "Jurassic World" looking back.   That had the right gap (14 years) and people really missed the Franchise.    "Fallen Kingdom" doing 1.3 Billion was still strong too.    But it seems the Jurassic Saga follows a clear pattern:

Part 1: Explode (Jurassic Park, Jurassic World)

Part 2: Drop but still strong (The Lost World, Fallen Kingdom)

Part 3. Drop and lowest of the Trilogy (JPIII, Dominion)

Just now, filmscholar said:

Honestly I had it around 155-165 range.   So 143 isn't too bad for me.  I knew it was coming under Strange because of the competition.   Again TGM attracts teens to adults which would also see "Jurassic" was well.   TGM has great WOM too so people did see it for the first time this weekend who missed out the last few weeks.  I think that this is actually a sign that the Box Office is getting a little more healthier but I guess we still have a ways to go.   Here's the full Adjusted and Unadjusted for "Jurassic Saga".   They clearly peaked with "Jurassic World" looking back.   That had the right gap (14 years) and people really missed the Franchise.    "Fallen Kingdom" doing 1.3 Billion was still strong too.    But it seems the Jurassic Saga follows a clear pattern:

Yeah it's a trend, but it's not a good one and its one JW really should've broken. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Proportinally speaking, Dominion will be far more succesfull than Jurassic Park 3 though (and thank the box office gods for that lol).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

If Thor 4, Black Adam, and Black Panther 2 makes over 350m then possibly six live action superhero movies in a row would've made over 350m.

That would be insane. 

But I'm not sure Black Adam can do it. The trailer looked good though.

I forgot the biggest cultural phenomenon of all time.

Morbius. :sparta:

Just now, CJohn said:

@Brainbug the Dinosaur I really wanted to like it. But take out the original trio, which is AMAZING every time they are on screen, nothing really stood out. The setpiece game is a huge step down from escaping the island and the mansion from FK.

I can really understand anyone who doesnt like the movie. I would personally disagree with the setpieces, while they are nothing really special, they work for me. Its a film that has so many elements where people will either just go along with it or probably instantly dislike it. So sad to her that you didnt really enjoy it, but at least the original trio worked for you, thats good to hear! They are great in this.

22 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I can really understand anyone who doesnt like the movie. I would personally disagree with the setpieces, while they are nothing really special, they work for me. Its a film that has so many elements where people will either just go along with it or probably instantly dislike it. So sad to her that you didnt really enjoy it, but at least the original trio worked for you, thats good to hear! They are great in this.

Now that I am a bit more calm, I did enjoy a few things (Malta sequence and every time Dern, Neill or Goldblum were on screen, it is crazy how much carisma they have) but the whole package is just... so underwhelming. It doesn't help that the marketing does sell World War Dinosaur and instead the main plot point are giant locusts.

39 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

52-53m for Top Gun. Could pass Last Jedi for 9th all-time 3rd weekend. 

Looking at top 10 4th weekend:

American Sniper- 89.2m (wide expansion)

Force Awakens- 42.3m

Black Panther- 40.8m

The Avengers- 36.6m

No Way Home- 32.6m

The Revenant-31.7m (2nd week of wide expansion)

Endgame- 29.9m

Infinity War- 29.4m

Jurassic World- 29.2m

(Not counting the expansions 9 and 10 are:

Titanic- 28.7m

Spiderman- 28.5m)

Ironically, Black Hawk Down expanded wide for 28.6m

Top Gun should at least target 30m ahead of Endgame, Infinity War, Jurassic World

With Father's Day Sunday and Juneteenth being observed the following day, I'd be surprised if TGM doesn't make 40M+ next weekend. I think it has an outside shot at passing TFA on that list actually.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Watched Skull Island, Godzilla v. Kong and, even, Fallen Kingdom to cleanse the palate after seeing Dominion. Dominion actually gave me a new found appreciation for Fallen Kingdom. 

Legit feel the same way. Fallen Kingdom has two very clearly distinct places where action takes place and some really great setpieces in both of them. It is also a beautiful movie to look at. Dominion has Neill, Dern and Goldblum. That is it. A big IT but still.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

38 & 17 IMO

That would be good news for Dominion, 144M OW it is then.

17M would still be great for Top Gun, but not as amazing as 18M.

• Like 1