Eric the IF

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

55 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Just finished JWD and my worst fears were realised. This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Granted, I fell asleep a couple of times somewhere in the middle, but I saw enough to seriously wonder what the hell they were thinking. How did they manage to make dinosaurs an afterthought, all the callbacks so tedious and forced (Nedry's canister? REALLY??) and the OG cast so charmless and redundant (Poor Sam Neill, he must be so embarrassed after this and also they tried to make Ian Malcolm an action hero (?)).

Where has all of Chris Pratt's charm gone? I guess he is just the most boring white str8 male protagonist ever now? 

How can they have ten (TEN!) people trying to get away at the end? Who were we supposed to identify and care for more? Why was the acting so wooden, the pacing so off and the direction so lacking? Is there a new trope about strong black lesbians in blockbusters nowadays? Do they think that's LGBTQI representation?

Jurassic Park was one of the first movies I saw in cinemas and the experience has been very precious to me. Of course this new, hopefully last, sequel is not enough to ruin my childhood or anything, but it is so sad to see that magnificent idea devolve into this. It doesn't deserve to do well at the box office,  and I hope it plummets.

Sorry for the rant.

I think the answer to most of your questions is that you, along with millions of other people around the world, keep buying tickets and it will gross well over 1b worldwide. People don't hold lazy/shitty filmmaking accountable if there are dinosaurs. They know this, so might as well try to appeal to the lowest common denominator and throw shit at the wall.

• Thanks 1

As you guys know I'm a huge movie buff and I am particularly interested in behind the scenes stories, particularly with how movies are developed. That's why I was so excited to see this behind the scenes photo inside the writing process of Jurassic World: Dominion.

Infinite monkey theorem - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, noknobs said:

I think the answer to most of your questions is that you, along with millions of other people around the world, keep buying tickets and it will gross well over 1b worldwide. People don't hold lazy/shitty filmmaking accountable if there are dinosaurs. They know this, so might as well try to appeal to the lowest common denominator and throw shit at the wall.

You can't judge a film until you see it lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I can really understand anyone who doesnt like the movie. I would personally disagree with the setpieces, while they are nothing really special, they work for me. Its a film that has so many elements where people will either just go along with it or probably instantly dislike it. So sad to her that you didnt really enjoy it, but at least the original trio worked for you, thats good to hear! They are great in this.

i’m going again tomorrow.  Ideally I’d like to time my entrance for after the ‘news report’

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You can't judge a film until you see it lol.

I've seen the others, seen the trailers, seen the reviews, heard reviews from others... No way am I going to pay to sit through that again. I was just trying to answer their questions. 

Moderation

@Xavier I see you with the "lol strong black lesbians are dumb" schtick. That shit ain't cute.

@noknobs You don't have to like these movies, but you don't have to go after others for what they decide to watch, especially since plenty of viewing patrons are giving out criticisms toward the movie. Don't do this again.

Anybody else want to act like a fool right now? Because I'm ready for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

What type of drop that JWD needs to avoid to still have a chance at $400M and/or $1B WW?

It's basically going to have to match JWFK drops to get to $400M. I believe if it mimics it exactly it gets to $405M

As for $1B WW, I'm not sure that's going to happen either way. Probably $900-950M. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

As you guys know I'm a huge movie buff and I am particularly interested in behind the scenes stories, particularly with how movies are developed. That's why I was so excited to see this behind the scenes photo inside the writing process of Jurassic World: Dominion.

Infinite monkey theorem - Wikipedia

As someone with behind the scenes knowledge of movie development, I'm afraid you are misinformed. This picture was clicked during the writing of the Rise of Skywalker script.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ZurgXXR said:

It's basically going to have to match JWFK drops to get to $400M. I believe if it mimics it exactly it gets to $405M

As for $1B WW, I'm not sure that's going to happen either way. Probably $900-950M. 

I think we have to take into account father's day weekend will definitely soften the 2nd weekend which FK did not have.

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

How does $18.1m sound for TG2 on Sunday?

And here I was worried about it dropping below $50m with actuals. How does it pull off that Sunday drop with the major cut into PLF? I guess no NBA game tonight helps.

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

I think we have to take into account father's day weekend will definitely soften the 2nd weekend which FK did not have.

Yes but having an inflated 2nd weekend just means it will drop harder in the 3rd weekend. It all evens out in that regard. To match Fallen Kingdom, Dominion just needs the same solid-to-good WOM that FK had. If that is the case or not will be visible imo on its coming Weekdays and especially the 2nd weekend numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

4th of July weekend should help a bit later in its run as well. I think still think JWD has a very real shot at 400M+ DOM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiffy said:

Just realized though if the series ends up going to Game 7 that could wind up putting a slight damper on FD.

The last time this happened was in 2016. The worst case scenario is that TGM and JWD have declines (still small ones). At least there's the federal holiday the next day.

• Like 1