IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

Some news (bad, as usual) from Austria - the worst February ever was followed by an equally bad March which means of course the worst 1st quarter in history, down a whopping 16% from 2018. Which was already pretty bad, from 2017 the drop is about 24% - which means that in 2 years time, nearly a quarter of the audience went AWOL. I really don't know how long theaters are going to survive this draught, it's been quite a while since a multiplex had to be closed (I think in 2002) and Austria is still very oversaturated with seats. At the rate admissions are dropping, few venues are able to generate a healthy profit (if any profit at all).

• Sad 5

6 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

....from 2017 the drop is about 24% - which means that in 2 years time, nearly a quarter of the audience went AWOL. I really don't know how long theaters are going to survive this draught, .... few venues are able to generate a healthy profit (if any profit at all).

Hence why I think nearly every boycott .... (Aufruf) for a not hate-provoking movie is bad. I see quite some in the social media, including German written. Or in movie reviews of 'fans' of the other 'side'. Recently seen repeatedly also at Amazon (for movies still running, like waste of time and money, and when looking up the other reviews that he/she wrote, it gets clear he/she is a glowing fan of .... something 'opposing')

I do not understand them for especially that.

Worst are those that call themselves also BO fans. They at least should know.

I get why nobody wants to report the second trend:

#1 Monsieur Claude2 225k
#2 Pet Sematary 160k - at least one new movie is stable
#3 Shazam! 140k 
#4 Dumbo 125k
#5 Captain Marvel 90k
#6 Die Goldfische 75k
#7 Us 60k
#8 Asterix und das Geheimnis des Zaubertranks 25k
#9 The Old Man & the Gun 25k

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, el sid said:

#1 Monsieur Claude2 225k
#2 Pet Sematary 160k - at least one new movie is stable
#3 Shazam! 140k 
#4 Dumbo 125k
#5 Captain Marvel 90k
#6 Die Goldfische 75k
#7 Us 60k
#8 Asterix und das Geheimnis des Zaubertranks 25k
#9 The Old Man & the Gun 25k

Its depressing.

3 hours ago, el sid said:

Its again beautiful weather was thinking about cinema, but stayed at home (we have a garden) jumping inside and back outside again

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, el sid said:

Well...

Spoiler

All movies down...

Serial (Bad) Weddings2 205k

PS 145k

Shazam! 115k

Dumbo 115k

CM 87,5k

:stretcher:

I really like those moving emojis...

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Well...

Reveal hidden contents

:stretcher:

I really like those moving emojis...

Its slowly getting so bad that it is becoming funny ...

Edited by Brainbug

As bad as this WE was, the one good thing is that last years WE was even worse (TOP10 are up 12% versus one year ago) :D

We're lucky the first quarter wasn't supposed to save the year. It's down around 8% from last year (just TOP10 being accounted again), which is in line with the InsideKino forecast:

1st Quarter

-10 %

2nd Quarter

+30 %

3rd Quarter

+50 %

4th Quarter

=

2019 = 122M

+20 %

http://www.insidekino.de/Y/Fazit2018e.htm

So we may still have hope... For now I'd say the Emoji most fitting would be :poke:

Spoiler

:ph34r:

Edited by Aristis
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Aristis said:

As bad as this WE was, the one good thing is that last years WE was even worse (TOP10 are up 12% versus one year ago) :D

We're lucky the first quarter wasn't supposed to save the year. It's down around 8% from last year (just TOP10 being accounted again), which is in line with the InsideKino forecast:

1st Quarter

-10 %

2nd Quarter

+30 %

3rd Quarter

+50 %

4th Quarter

=

2019 = 122M

+20 %

http://www.insidekino.de/Y/Fazit2018e.htm

So we may still have hope... For now I'd say the Emoji most fitting would be :poke:

Hide contents

:ph34r:

We need some homegrown blockbuster drama like Fack ju Göhte series!

The over consumption of the superhero genre around the world didn't help German box office

• Like 1

22 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The over consumption of the superhero genre around the world didn't help German box office

:sick:

Drama? :wtf:

Without CBMs it would look even worse during certain weeks in the year. They add admissions, not take away, bring in additional admissions per trailer impact in a cinema is way higher than at home not only for the better experience, but also bcs they wont get buried in a ton of other advertisements...

Hmmm did the 'world' over consumption it, or Germany under consumption it?

More local movies, no problem with that in general, but why bring in a swipe at a certain material based movie type? To me at least it sounds a little backhanded.

Especially as not even the generally highest performing SH/CBMs are even in the top 47 of Germany (not sure where a CBM #1 even is placed, the money chart at insidekino only goes to #47), per admissions not even in the top 100 (again, no idea where it would be, the chart only goes to #100)

Checking the last 20 years, not even in the per year top 10 admission charts did a CBM reach the top 3.

There is one #4 (Avengers 3), one #5 (Spider-Man 1) three #8 (The Dark Knight + TDKR, Spider-Man 3), three #9 (GotG 2, Deadpool 1+2), and two #10 (Spider-Man 2, GotG 1).

Avengers 1 was #12 of the year....

So why not pick on the titles above all those? But noooo, it has to be brought in a certain type of movies no one here had not ever already picked on.

why backhanded in bold:

I have contact to different groups or ppl:

pupils, adults that actually likes certain speed/action/CBM/spy franchises, GA that do like comedies, local,.... in a cinema. And artists (art academy). Those are the worst.

- Pupils early on to teens: open to all, especially action and comedy, horse stories, a bit of romance too.

- GA genre fans... too often high nosed about other franchises than their own.

- People who prefer fantasy / book fantasy based movies, at least some of them thinking they are better as others, but way less than .... artists.

- Artists (not all, but husband and brother, both art academy, all of their friends too, so maybe a one-seided experience for me) way too often: 'I do not watch cultural unimportant movies' types.

A lot of fans of this and that discourage others to watch something else. It starts already in school. And at home, where mothers forbid (actual example from last week) a 10y old to watch even some parts / examples of The Incredibles, bcs its unambitious and too rowdyish (she actually took him out of class), or other examples why 'cultural' people flipped out I can tell about as a media teacher. I use for it always very different examples, depending what the discussion will be about, they have always to fill out prepared sheets, the mentioned discussions,...

Maybe we all should get more open minded, sit less before the often very expensive home theatre and do accompany more also others for their movies with a less tortured style and call out some high nosed / down speaking to other interests audience that too carry the cinema culture?

Bcs that too can hinder admissions, to lessen the cinema experience of others by diving too deep into 'I only do it...' (Leidensmiene ziehen, 'laut seufzen')

= observed very often with co-Germans of all ages not only about movies.

We are the country were 'they' managed to kill Raumpatrouille - Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion aka Raumschiff Orion, a series where they are ignoring the narrow minded government a lot, as too militaristic....

Rant over (today in the afternoon is the first day the mentioned boy wont be in the course)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

Germany's Top20 last weekend:

title

admissions

th.

PTA

total adm.

total €

drop

week

Qu'est-ce qu'on a encore fait au Bon Dieu ?

-

Pet Sematary

-

Shazam!

-

Dumbo

Captain Marvel

Die Goldfische

Us

Astérix - Le Secret de la potion magique

The Old Man & The Gun

Green Book

How To Tame Your Dragon 3

Escape Room

Ostwind 4

Free Solo

Rocca verändert die Welt

Misfit

Unheimlich perfekte Freunde

-

Bohemian Rhapsody

Die Toten Hosen auf Tour

Trautmann

"Halfway Decent" is the fitting expression to describe last weekend's openers, but really most people expected something more, especially from the French comedy. In Austria, the weekend went a little better; after Sunday it was already >30k admissions here.

Next weekend: Teen romance After might grab the top spot; also opening is Hellboy but I fear the worst … overall probably another sad weekend for the BO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

:sick:

Without CBMs it would look even worse during certain weeks in the year. They add admissions, not take away, bring in additional admissions per trailer impact in a cinema is way higher than at home not only for the better experience, but also bcs they wont get buried in a ton of other advertisements...

Don't be that high nosed against FJG ;):D

I enjoyed watching the first in TV, to me it was quite funny :ph34r: I wouldn't ever spend money on it though. However, this series had 21,3M admissions with only three movies (even more than the Hobbit movies which I can't really understand), which is far more than any CBM can ever do in Germany. You're right, without CBM it'd look even worse - CM is the second biggest movie yet this year... (I actually watched it yesterday and quite enjoyed it most part, I remember you asked a few weeks back).

I think what titanic wants to say - and I think I have to agree to that - is, that the worldwide hype for CBMs leads to some overrepresentation in movies made and since CBMs aren't as popular in Germany as other genres less (to Germans) appealing movies are made (which is why I hope that AEG may be a climax for CBMs...)

23 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I'd like to say we need some german Blockbuster series being as popular as FJG :D But yeah, if Hollywood doesn't make movies that appeal to Germans we should have our own movies made. I'd like to see some more high profile genre movies like The Perfume from 2006 or movies like Who am I...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aristis said:

However, I may have to add that there is more to the German BO Crisis than just 'Hollywood doesn't produce movies appealing to Germans anymore' since even those movies that should appeal (or did it a few years back) barely find admissions today...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Don't be that high nosed against FJG ;):D

:D

I was literally just doing that, I seem to have caught a stomach infection

I do not like:

horror, romance, comedy (especially slapstick, or movies very comedy).

The worst for me: a romantic comedy. You could pay me 1000€, I wouldn't watch it.

I speak about the ones you might call 'pure' genre versions.

If mixed with some other genres it can be o.K.

E.g an action-comedy with romantic aspects I have usually no problem with, if not over-the-top.

Its the weight of the genres, if the named ones are placed on #1 in the genre listings the probability I wont like it is big.

Extremer versions of some genres too, like drama is one thing but overly drama... not my thing.

I love e.g. spy movies, but if all characters are bad ones, if the overdo it, it gets depressing, why I would watch that?

I've seen to much bad things (RL), and probably too many cultural important movies aka too often depressing movies (backstory for that too), I prefer nowadays to leave the cinema uplifted.

Hence why I do not like a lot of movies in the top lists ww or locally but do not think they are bad because of not belonging to those genres.

15 minutes ago, Aristis said:

CM is the second biggest movie yet this year... (I actually watched it yesterday and quite enjoyed it most part, I remember you asked a few weeks back)

Its #2 on my most rewatched list.

In ~ 50y of cinema going I only rewatched ~ 10 movies in a cinema. A few of those were based on watching it in OV and German (assuming mostly correctly bad translation,  means at first in German, than in English, or not understading each word in the OV, and rewatching it in German are probably for 30-40% the reason to rewatch)

For me, a woman who worked for a long time in men-typical professions, who was the only girl with 41 boys in a technical school in the '70... it was very very refreshing. Love the dry, more reserved style in the scenes they chose to show her that way. They nailed the air-force part rather good (my first husband was a ... I think its called enlisted? soldier, working at a air-force station (Zeitsoldat)). It has some hmpf parts, but the 'finally' moments shine bright enough to me I do not really care about its weaker points.

And most important: finally not a destined to, no inherited abilities, no princess / high status girl/virgin/YA girl-woman. Finally someone who is in her core strong already, no drama for suffering through .... BS, no rescue by future husband/BF/...., no waiting for The White Knight. Very refreshing.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Guys, dont get your hopes up that we germans will ever be able to again make good, mass-appealing movies. That ship has sailed, sunk 😉 and been buried in the ocean.

I have too often heard that over the decades, and then e.g. Das Boot 😉  got made and proofed them all wrong.

In the meaning of international (a big step for introducing Germans during the Nazi-regime as mostly being simply humans, a vs. anti-cliché) and in combination with the long versions I think in the sum quite impressive.

It got only 6 times nominated for the Oscars in its first version, that sadly got cut down quite a bit for commercial reasons to only 149 minutes.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot_(Film)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I have too often heard that over the decades, and then e.g. Das Boot 😉  got made and proofed them all wrong.

In the meaning of international (a big step for introducing Germans during the Nazi-regime as mostly being simply humans, a vs. anti-cliché) and in combination with the long versions I think in the sum quite impressive.

It got only 6 times nominated for the Oscars in its first version, that sadly got cut down quite a bit for commercial reasons to only 149 minutes.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot_(Film)

Das Boot is a masterpiece, definetly. But it also came out in the 80s and german cinema of the 90s to the mid 2000s generally wasnt bad in my opinion. But since the late 2000s ... a wasteland, mostly :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Das Boot is a masterpiece, definetly. But it also came out in the 80s and german cinema of the 90s to the mid 2000s generally wasnt bad in my opinion. But since the late 2000s ... a wasteland, mostly :D

But before it got out ppl said the same like you did earlier.

And according to the admissions there are local movies that appeal to the GA since the late 2000, even if not to me 😉

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

But before it got out ppl said the same like you did earlier.

And according to the admissions there are local movies that appeal to the GA since the late 2000, even if not to me 😉

Listen, i want my doom and gloom fantasys :D

Though i would be the first to welcome not only a new wave of great german movies but also a rise in admissions/box office. Right now, it does seem just a little bit bleak for me. Future will tell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1