Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

yep. On your lack of a huge fan base for these new films comment, this is EXACTLY what I’ve been saying is the problem with major films debuting on streaming. 

if you’re a kid and you get taken to the theatre to see one of these movies that is an experience. You remember it. It feels like a big deal. You want every piece of it. 
When it’s a thumbnail that gets lost amongst the noise within days it just isn’t the same thing.  I’m never going to feel the same way about Soul as I do Up. Even though I think it’s a better movie. Why? Because when I think of Soul I associate it with my living room.  Up, I remember sat with a massive audience, recalling the laughter and the tears. 

These movies need to be in their church, on the big screen exclusively for months, before being behind a significant paywall for a period. 

There is not one advantage to not going down that route. Let alone zero proof not having these films debut or show up seven weeks on free streaming does anything to sub numbers. 

We all have bad experiences sometimes at theatres, but in general our best memories of films are seeing them at the movies. I mean imagine seeing Maverick for the first time on tv - fml. Instead we’ll treasure that film forever because of those memories. Even catching up with it on physical/digital we’ll look at it differently because we’ve seen it in all its glory. 

So yeah, Disney are quickly realising this and the writing is on the wall. There’s work to be done but I would not be in the bit surprised if they buy into a certain theatrical chain very soon. 

Not that I’m looking to give the mousehouse any more marker power than they already have, but I think it would a smart long term play to design and then help implement (ie share install costs) of a new PLF format. Something that could eventually rival the IMAX brand, enhance the theatrical experience and help fill the current gap between PLF demand and supply 

They partially shot themselves in the foot with their D+ streaming push, and this would be a way to reverse that trend. If consumers are being more selective with their spending, then you have to give them better value to make it worth the cost

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

$17.3M (+20%) - Minions 2 

$6.3M (+41%) - Top Gun Maverick

$4.4M (+33%) - Elvis

Are these guesses?

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Why's the dude singling out MCU? The Batman has 495 reviews on RT. There's a more reviews for biggest superhero films... Period. Not just a MCU thing. Black Adam, Wakanda Forever, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom,  Marvels, etc. will all have 400+ or 450+ reviews at RT.  It's not a MCU... It's a biggest superhero movies released have the most reviews at RT thing.

Having more CBM geek sites reviewing movies doesn't always help these movies... Usually, it does. But, not always.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Why's the dude singling out MCU? The Batman has 495 reviews on RT. There's a more reviews for biggest superhero films... Period. Not just a MCU thing. Black Adam, Wakanda Forever, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom,  Marvels, etc. will all have 400+ or 450+ reviews at RT.  It's not a MCU... It's a biggest superhero movies released have the most reviews at RT thing.

Having more CBM geek sites reviewing movies doesn't always help these movies... Usually, it does. But, not always.

Bingo. The most reviewed film on the site (from what I've found so correct me if I'm wrong) is The Joker @ 592. 

Edited by StormbreakerXXR
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Bingo. The most reviewed film on the site (from what I've found so correct me if I'm wrong) is The Joker @ 592. 

Actually, taking a quick look at recent blockbuster, No Time To Die has 418 and Dune has 488. Seems like this guy was just cherry picking. Dune is geek heavy so 488 makes sense. And, a Bond movie that's a series ender for Craig would have a ton of reviews too... For whatever reason, JWD only has 374 at RT at the moment.

But, again, as mentioned, there's definitely been a boost in number of critics and that started like about a decade ago when superhero stuff became every other blockbuster. And, generally, geek driven with big fandom has more reviews than other stuff at RT. Rise of Skywalker has 517 there too. I'm sure if that Tweeter did just bare minimum research he'd see that it's not as cut and dry as "MCU gets more reviews from geeks so their movies score better" nonsense. There's been a huge uptick in number of total reviews for all big cinematic properties with huge fandoms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Won’t comment concretely before a rewatch, but quite possible that I join @Menor Reborn in camp “DS2 and TLT bottom 2.”   

Would like to join the same camp.

Although I would say DS2 has some of the b3st scenes in MCU ever but it was mess mostly because of incoherent plot.

Thor 4 is just bad. Writing is not that good. Humor falls apart. VFX is extremely bad. Plus ,in some scenes even actors look like they are in a parody movie.

DS2 atleast actually looks and feels like a genuine effort got lost due to bad script.

• Like 1

Thor 4 was the first time in a while I have seen a MCU movie getting so much less reactions and cheering.

Usually MCU movies get insane cheering from first frame itself. People didn't even laugh much. I think this is also a major factor in tepid response. People were just not that into the film.

1 hour ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Won’t comment concretely before a rewatch, but quite possible that I join @Menor Reborn in camp “DS2 and TLT bottom 2.”   

19 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Would like to join the same camp.

Although I would say DS2 has some of the b3st scenes in MCU ever but it was mess mostly because of incoherent plot.

Thor 4 is just bad. Writing is not that good. Humor falls apart. VFX is extremely bad. Plus ,in some scenes even actors look like they are in a parody movie.

DS2 atleast actually looks and feels like a genuine effort got lost due to bad script.

I updated my ranking last night and of the 29 MCU films to date, I have L&T @ 21 and MOM @ 25.  

Edited by StormbreakerXXR
  • Like 1

Did we get Saturday numbers from EC and Charlie for TLT, TGM, MRoG, etc.? I recall seeing 41 for TLT around 9PM EST yesterday but may have missed updates after that...

As for the comment of Thor 4 feeling like a parody, that's absolutely by design. Without question. Problem is the comedy falls flat too often as the main players in a Thor flick are not as gifted in improv as the main players in, say, What We Do In The Shadows and, to a lesser extent, Our Flag Means Death. They're all pretty good at going full ham acting and being camp though.

140M seems like a lock now. Hopefully it ends at 330M or so to avoid mass hysteria of finishing below Ragnarok when everyone had it doing 400M+ here. 

6 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah I mean this was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention to RT from 2015 onwards. RT lowered the qualifications for RT certified critics which led to people like Jeremy Jahns getting in. RT scores have continually felt inflated since then compared to what those movies would have gotten in 2014 or 2015. And why the gap between the All Critics score and the Top Critics score keeps widening.

Still though, that speaks to how poorly Eternals was received if those outlets couldn’t even help it get to a fresh score.

Not that I think those outlets feel “incentivized” to give MCU movies good reviews. More likely they just really like MCU movies and nothing else.

It's probably a bit of both. "feeling incentivized to give good reviews" is something you can apparently see for e.g. critics who physically lived near the headquarters of movie studios in the 1990s (my half-remembered regurgitation of a random academic article I found poking around databases a few months ago). I don't think you need to do all that much to nudge people towards better reviews even if it's not a "bought and sold" style thing people talk about it as.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Feels weird how I am more optimistic for it. I think $350M is happening.

People were talking about 450M like if it was a done deal just days ago (and all Summer long tbh). Crazy how things change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Feels weird how I am more optimistic for it. I think $350M is happening.

That would be great legs actually. Like a A/A- cinemascore MCU movie. Didn't GOTG2 opened to 146m for 390m total?? And that was much well received