grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

2 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Okay but what about Gnomeo & Juliet and Sherlock Gnomes?

You know I did watch Sherlock Gnomes out of morbid curiosity. It is extremely funny to me that Ozzy Osbourne of all people is a voice in these movies. Don't know why, but it makes me laugh.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric Odinson said:

You know I did watch Sherlock Gnomes out of morbid curiosity.

One of my oddest (worst?) movie theater experiences was going to see that at a discount Tuesday matinee and for some reason it was packed. I guess people really will see anything for the right price.

As for why I saw it, there's an entirely separate story about that.

4 minutes ago, datpepper said:

One of my oddest (worst?) movie theater experiences was going to see that at a discount Tuesday matinee and for some reason it was packed. I guess people really will see anything for the right price.

Early 2018 I went on Tuesday night with the intention of watching Molly's Game (or something) but that was sold out, so then I tried getting a ticket for Shape of Water which was also sold out, and then finally the cashier was able to find me a ticket for Darkest Hour which was still full. It was a weird thing watching that movie with a full house, a lot of people fell asleep.

Edit: This was right before the Golden Globes aired just to clarify.

Edited by ringedmortality

Meh. Don't get why anyone would be too upset about the Russos spouting nonsense. They're masters of logistics. All of their Avengers flicks (yes, I'm including Civil War) are mostly flat, stylistically-speaking. They hardly have a cinematic voice. What they do have is a great ability to wrangle the huge MCU machinery and make it work. In another life they probably run a very successful trucking or maritime shipping company...

Mad respect for that, it's definitely a huge undertaking, but I really wouldn't pay much attention to their analysis of auteur theory. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Wording it like this means you are obligated to tell us the whole story. Spill the tea

Sometime in early 2016 I got tremendously bored, but noticed I had already seen everything I wanted to see that was playing at my local theaters. Decided to just "complete" the list and see the only movie I hadn't seen at the time (Think it was The Man Who Knew Infinity, starring Dev Patel. Extra points to anyone else who remembers that one). Then the next weekend more movies came out, and I was like "Aw, now I feel incomplete" so I went and saw all of those. Same thing for the next weekend, and the next weekend, and the next weekend...

You get the idea, I've now seen every wide release that's come out over the past six years, including whatever other limited release stuff showed up nearby (Most in theaters, COVID caused some here and there to be delayed to home for me). People do this a lot more now since subscription services started being a thing, but I did it before those became mainstream, so I'm sure that makes me one of the cool ones😎 (Or not, based on what I've seen!) It makes for plenty of fun conversation-starters with pals, though.

So Lyle, Lyle Crocodile is the singing crocodile film with Shawn Mendes who I'm not familiar with (have heard the name couldn't name a song) but guess Eric is a fan.

Where the Crawdads Sing author's stepson and partner are wanted for information in relation of the killing of a man (who they claimed was a poacher) on an ABC broadcast in the 1990s... wild stuff. 

Also a crawdad is a regional name for a crayfish in parts of the US. 

The more you know. 

3 minutes ago, Potiki said:

So Lyle, Lyle Crocodile is the singing crocodile film with Shawn Mendes who I'm not familiar with (have heard the name couldn't name a song) but guess Eric is a fan.

Oh I think Shawn Mendes is trash on a stick. Pasek and Paul writing the songs also makes me want to barf. But that trailer was soooooooo stupid that as a man who loves garbage movies, I can't help be fascinated and excited for it. Plus Javier Bardem looks Oscar-worthy. Even more than No Country for Old Men in fact.

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Does anyone even sing in the movie?

Not that I recall, no. Time for a class action lawsuit, I suppose.

Just now, cannastop said:

Taylor Swift in the credits

Was thinking about if Swift having a role in the movie would've upped the box office results, but then I remembered Cats and The Giver. Guess we'll see about Amsterdam...

Edited by datpepper
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Here in NC you’d have to look up crayfish because crawdad is all we know. I guess it checks out that the book is set here.

Makes sense, regional variations like that are always interesting. 

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Does anyone even sing in the movie?

I have no idea, I guess the implication of the title is that the crayfish make a noise that sounds like singing but I have not seen the movie and likely won't watch it.