grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

taika is not up to date on his memes at all. i remember thinking "really a shake weight joke in 2017?" when he did it in ragnarok but it was still kinda funny. and the goats he said he got the idea from that decade old taylor swift meme i mean goodness. dude is gonna have korg gangnam styling in thor 5.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• Founder / Operator

One of my fondest, most grateful memories is getting to interview Joe for Endgame two months before it came out. He spoke endlessly about his confidence in the movie and how people would want to feel part of what he predicted would be one of the most special moments in theatrical history. Compared it to Empire Strikes Back.

Thing is, it may sound cocky on his part, but he ended up enormously correct in that prediction. I genuinely wonder if this new interview and its editors took any of his comments out of context, or if not, if he may walk back some of that "elitist" talk. He did not sound like the type of filmmaker that would ever imply such a thing in my 20-minute conversation with him three years ago. He spoke like a person who valued the cinema as much as myself or anyone I know.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I think saying that theaters are elitist is dumb. Many regular people go to theaters. But I don't give a shit about auteurs. If there was a black box that churned out movies that I still enjoyed at a high frequency, that would be perfectly fine by me. 

Don't give Netflix any ideas

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

so what does he think needs to replace the "auteur model"

more corporatized committee box ticking content designed to make as much money as possible? if we ever get to a point where there are no more or very little real filmmakers left and everything is run by Kathleen Kennedys and Kevin Fieges, we riot

they tried making a movie with a personality once with Cherry and that didn't work so now they're against the idea entirely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Going to the theater isn't personally elitist, people have the right to see movies, it should be easy to go into one actually, and that's the problem. Theaters as an industry are becoming elitist when tickets keeps getting more and more expensive, making hard to have access to it.

He could've formulate this way better, but there is an logic behind this that actually helped streaming to grow so fast, it's simply more accessible. 

I think that's especially true in many foreign countries. Where i live the mininum wage is around 1200 R$, and a good quality theater can cost 80 R$, all this to watch just one single movie. Now imagine having partners, children... 

Many people need to choose what they'll gonna watch because it's so expensive now that they can't go more than once in a month. If this isn't an increasing elitist model i don't know what it is. That's why populations keeps rising while tickets sell keeps dropping, this alone is enough argument to sustain that theaters aren't the populist media it was before and it's getting worse.

And considering the interview was in the context of theaters X streaming, he does have a point, just bad formulated.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Shawn said:

One of my fondest, most grateful memories is getting to interview Joe for Endgame two months before it came out. He spoke endlessly about his confidence in the movie and how people would want to feel part of what he predicted would be one of the most special moments in theatrical history. Compared it to Empire Strikes Back.

Thing is, it may sound cocky on his part, but he ended up enormously correct in that prediction. I genuinely wonder if this new interview and its editors took any of his comments out of context, or if not, if he may walk back some of that "elitist" talk. He did not sound like the type of filmmaker that would ever imply such a thing in my 20-minute conversation with him three years ago. He spoke like a person who valued the cinema as much as myself or anyone I know.

I don’t think “elitist” was good word choice, but it’s perfectly true that a lot of the country is priced out of going to the cinema frequently and it’s a message that a lot of this board would do a 180 with a different messenger.

• Like 3

The auteur comment seem very strange considering they produced Everything Everywhere All At Once and are happy with how it did, that movie (along with Swiss Army Man) has a very distinctive style that is clearly influenced by the people directing it. 

The whole interview seems a bit over the top maybe they had a bit too much 

tumblr_n7n5hqys7Y1siyfmdo1_500.gif

My parents are currently at Elton John's farewell tour, so I'm indulging in an Elton Triple Feature. Lion King, Rocketman, and Country Bears, which deserves way more love with the "So bad it's good" community. Finally ending things with Rocketman and like...god Taron's just the perfect man...well, second perfect man. Insane how he embodies Elton's spirit.

Don't care about auteur statement, if others can talk, Russos can talk too.

About theaters, comment might be dumb, but as someone mentioned ticket prices rise is a big problem for great many people, atleast in India, going to movies theatres is a luxury, Footfalls have give diwn drastically because ticket prices are raised every next big release and its ridiculous at this point.

But after one point OTT will face problems, people forget that OTT is not one streaming site where everything is available, infact there's might be too many OTT sites in future, there already are, so if someone wants to see something, it's not necessary that they will have the OTT app subscription where that movie or series is available.

Also it's not as convenient as people think or is, and it is also not as simple as just pay for what you like, because Chances are that what you like is divided between different OTT apps, so if you want that, you still have to pay more. Maybe less than theater, but still a hassle. And i think in future almost every big company will have their own OTT service in the ocean.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

• Founder / Operator
6 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

My parents are currently at Elton John's farewell tour, so I'm indulging in an Elton Triple Feature. Lion King, Rocketman, and Country Bears, which deserves way more love with the "So bad it's good" community. Finally ending things with Rocketman and like...god Taron's just the perfect man...well, second perfect man. Insane how he embodies Elton's spirit.

Love Rocketman and Taron. Elton's tour is amazing as well, he crushes it even at his age.

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think elite may be contextual?

Most of west will pass as elite in Eastern parts of world, where cinemagoing is IN FACT elitist. 

Don't think it is elitist in West yet, but could be soon i guess.

Didn't know cinemagoing was elitist in India? is that what you're saying?

7 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

You should do Almost Famous because Elton's song plays a big role during a pivotal moment in that one.

9 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

What about Road to El Dorado.

Just now, cannastop said:

Didn't know cinemagoing was elitist in India? is that what you're saying?

Cinemagoing is one of the biggest common man activities. Nothing embodies that like when I watched Spiderman 3 first in a multiplex for 200 bucks and then in a Bhojpuri dubbed version for 15 bucks in a theater which had benches instead of seats for the cheapest seats in Gorakhpur.

Enjoyed the movie way way way way more the second time with the crowd going crazy thanks to localized jokes and Spider-Man being voiced a local Superstar.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You should do Almost Famous because Elton's song plays a big role during a pivotal moment in that one.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

What about Road to El Dorado.

Guys it'll be 11 PM by the time I'm done with Rocketman. I can't watch everything 😂

2 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Guys it'll be 11 PM by the time I'm done with Rocketman. I can't watch everything 😂

Okay but what about Gnomeo & Juliet and Sherlock Gnomes?