grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

10 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Running the numbers, I'm essentially certain that $700M is dead for TGM. It's going to do about $11-12M this weekend, which would put it at ~$617-618M through Sunday. It would need a roughly 8x IM from this weekend to hit $700M. Even Avatar "only" managed a 6.27x IM from its 8th weekend. 

I think the max is $675M, but my target is $665M.

Feels bittersweet to see Titanic’s long-standing record go away…for like six months

I'm gonna watch The Gray Man when it lands on Netflix next weekend but it almost certainly wouldn't have done great at the box office as a full-blown theatrical release. Even in the pre-streaming time a movie like that would've existed for the sole purpose of filling a 2:00 slot on a Sunday afternoon on FX 2-3 years after release.

Edited by filmlover

15 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Running the numbers, I'm essentially certain that $700M is dead for TGM. It's going to do about $11-12M this weekend, which would put it at ~$617-618M through Sunday. It would need a roughly 8x IM from this weekend to hit $700M. Even Avatar "only" managed a 6.27x IM from its 8th weekend. 

I think the max is $675M, but my target is $665M.

Not sure that’s really a fair or accurate comparison.  Avatar really thrived in the post-holiday/January doldrums, before finally stating to see sustained drops when real competition started back up in February (esp 2/12 and 3/05), while TGM has already run through the summer gauntlet, and the calendar is clearing up ahead

With that said, I do think $700M is getting less likely with each passing week, unless it really settles into a -20% weekend/weekly groove from here on out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Sorry guys, going to the movies is an elitist experience. Pack it up

I wonder if all of his post-MCU movies going to streaming (Extraction, Cherry, The Gray Man, and the upcoming Extraction 2 and The Electric State) is because he's genuinely all in on streaming, or if the reason he has this opinion is because he and his brother are seemingly incapable of getting their non-MCU movies into traditional theatrical releases and he wants to make it seem like that was entirely by choice.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i mean you gotta be at least kinda smart to get as far as he has as a filmmaker, but there are so many quotes from these schmucks that are just so... fucking stupid.

They have good instincts when it comes to entertaining an audience. But it’s clear that they don’t have a great background in film history, which is fine I guess for the type of stuff they’re making, but even studio directors like Mangold have a deep knowledge of film.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i mean you gotta be at least kinda smart to get as far as he has as a filmmaker, but there are so many quotes from these schmucks that are just so... fucking stupid.

it's a combination of stupid, ignorant, and arrogant.

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

They have good instincts when it comes to entertaining an audience. But it’s clear that they don’t have a great background in film history, which is fine I guess for the type of stuff they’re making, but even studio directors like Mangold have a deep knowledge of film.

at the barest minimum i would expect him to be aware that like, alfred hitchcock existed.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

at the barest minimum i would expect him to be aware that like, alfred hitchcock existed.

Or at least know about Truffaut and Godard and Andrew Sarris.

Edited by cannastop

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Embarrassing. And it’s really backfired on Twitter. he’s been completely ratio’d already. Just because no one will ever speak about or think about The Gray Man 4 hours after they’ve seen it 😂😂