setna

Weekday numbers 7-26 to 7-29

58 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hoping Nope doesn’t do a Thor 4 and fall -35% on Wednesday. 

I’m expecting Nope to track more similarly to Scream: a fan driven frontloaded “horror” film, but skewing more adult, with good WOM and decent legs. Still probably going to drop around 60% in 2nd weekend given how much of OW came from Thursday, but should stabilize and settle into a solid groove from there

12 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Crawdads-$1.8m(-26%)

Elvis-$1.075m(-20%)

Crawdads up from Mon - could get to $8M for 3rd weekend (-23%)

Crawdads and TGM could have some interesting, back and forth weekend/weekly gross battles over the coming months

1 hour ago, BruiseCruise said:

Its the last movie to sell more than 100 million tickets domestically and its gonna be 8th domestically and maybe 10th by the end of the year on the all time domestic gross

it’s bad enough seeing ET at no.25 seeing as that movie was bigger than every single one above it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokugennumataka said:

I can't place a finger on that thought process, but I personally get a bit uncomfortable when any film outgross Titanic. I mean, it's the eventual fate of everything old, but it's a bit sad seeing it get pushed further down. 

It´s a question of admit the passing of time and prices increasing, but Titanic run never can be forgotten and loved for the real fans of box office tracking. 
In the last 40 years, since E.T., hasn´t been a run like this and i have the feeling that maybe will never be again something like this.
E.T. was in the pre- video age and Titanic ws fighting with video and with shortest run on theatres, was something like a miracle, 15, fifteen, 15 weeks number one, this is from another world, but the most amazing record that for sure never can be beaten is that its best day was its 58th!!!!!!! This absolutely crazy, not even E.T is close from this....so we have enough themes to be in love with Titanic run forever, and of course is a joy runs like TGM, but we can´t compare it with the monster of monsters.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, setna said:

It´s a question of admit the passing of time and prices increasing, but Titanic run never can be forgotten and loved for the real fans of box office tracking. 
In the last 40 years, since E.T., hasn´t been a run like this and i have the feeling that maybe will never be again something like this.
E.T. was in the pre- video age and Titanic ws fighting with video and with shortest run on theatres, was something like a miracle, 15, fifteen, 15 weeks number one, this is from another world, but the most amazing record that for sure never can be beaten is that its best day was its 58th!!!!!!! This absolutely crazy, not even E.T is close from this....so we have enough themes to be in love with Titanic run forever, and of course is a joy runs like TGM, but we can´t compare it with the monster of monsters.

ET came out in the non-multiplex age though, so I think that more than balances out the video argument. 

I saw Titanic three times on its initial run and it was in tons of screens at the same theatres. The number of shows it could put on compared to ET were ridiculous. 

Certainly Titanic has been the biggest movie to come out since ET though. No question. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, setna said:

Probably the closest analog in recent time is Greatest Showman, where the highest grossing day was its 18th of release (1/06), and it’s 7th Saturday (day 45) grossed 14% more than its opening Saturday 

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

ET came out in the non-multiplex age though, so I think that more than balances out the video argument. 

I saw Titanic three times on its initial run and it was in tons of screens at the same theatres. The number of shows it could put on compared to ET were ridiculous. 

Certainly Titanic has been the biggest movie to come out since ET though. No question. 

Yeah, but at he same time, movies used to be less time in theatres in 98 than in 82. 
The population of USA was less in 82 than in 98 and this is something in favour of ET, but anyway i think are very simmilar runs in comparision with all these subjects, but ET can´t compete worldwide with Titanic at all, any movie can´t, even AEG. 
Titanic is still number 1 in admissions in many countries, thing that is not ET or AEG, and of course Avengers had the inmense advantage of China and some Asian countries.
I think Titanic is the most succesful movie at least since we have data.

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Probably the closest analog in recent time is Greatest Showman, where the highest grossing day was its 18th of release (1/06), and it’s 7th Saturday (day 45) grossed 14% more than its opening Saturday 

Thanks for the data, i didn´t remember, but yes is still a far away comparision

8 minutes ago, setna said:

Yeah, but at he same time, movies used to be less time in theatres in 98 than in 82. 
The population of USA was less in 82 than in 98 and this is something in favour of ET, but anyway i think are very simmilar runs in comparision with all these subjects, but ET can´t compete worldwide with Titanic at all, any movie can´t, even AEG. 
Titanic is still number 1 in admissions in many countries, thing that is not ET or AEG, and of course Avengers had the inmense advantage of China and some Asian countries.
I think Titanic is the most succesful movie at least since we have data.

for sure internationally. But then the international marketplace was nowhere near close to being as developed in 1982 as it was in the late 90’s. 

Different eras, like you say. THE two biggest films since Star Wars though. 

Anything is near to Titanic as cultural phenomenon in the last 40 years. It was everywhere and we didn't have the social networks. I remember the national news talking about the movie for months with news about the box office, the leo mania, soundtrack records and so on. For these modern blockbusters you take a news the weekend the movie cames out and then bye. 

The first airing of the movie here in Italy was watched by 12.4M viewers with a peak of 15M (population was 55M)

In the last minutes it peaked with a share of 80%. It means 80% of all the country televisions in that moment were turned on the movie. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

for sure internationally. But then the international marketplace was nowhere near close to being as developed in 1982 as it was in the late 90’s. 

Different eras, like you say. THE two biggest films since Star Wars though. 

Agree with taht, but in the countries that we have data of both, western Europe, Japan, Australia and some other countries from the rest of the world, Titanic is beating ET in almost 100 % of the territories and in some of them for a wide margin.

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Anything is near to Titanic as cultural phenomenon in the last 40 years. It was everywhere and we didn't have the social networks. I remember the national news talking about the movie for months with news about the box office, the leo mania, soundtrack records and so on. For these modern blockbusters you take a news the weekend the movie cames out and then bye. 

The first airing of the movie here in Italy was watched by 12.4M viewers with a peak of 15M (population was 55M)

In the last minutes it peaked with a share of 80%. It means 80% of all the country televisions in that moment were turned on the movie. 

Yeah, also in Spain the same, it was a worldwide phenomenon like no other. 
I remember ET was in a theater of the centre of Madrid for more than one year, but about the media,, t.v., newspapers, was no comparision at all.