setna

Weekday numbers 7-26 to 7-29

46 minutes ago, setna said:

It´s a question of admit the passing of time and prices increasing, but Titanic run never can be forgotten and loved for the real fans of box office tracking. 
In the last 40 years, since E.T., hasn´t been a run like this and i have the feeling that maybe will never be again something like this.
E.T. was in the pre- video age and Titanic ws fighting with video and with shortest run on theatres, was something like a miracle, 15, fifteen, 15 weeks number one, this is from another world, but the most amazing record that for sure never can be beaten is that its best day was its 58th!!!!!!! This absolutely crazy, not even E.T is close from this....so we have enough themes to be in love with Titanic run forever, and of course is a joy runs like TGM, but we can´t compare it with the monster of monsters.

Everything really came together for that Day 58th gross to happen with it falling on Valentine's Day and being the Saturday after its record-tying Oscar nomination haul.

Speaking of E.T. though, I have been going through the Variety box office archives and it is fascinating to read the analysis about it happening in real time. 

The fact that Weeks 2-5 were all bigger than Week 1 and it was doing those $10m+ weekends when that was at OW-record level area is just insane. It seems by around Week 7 analysts knew Star Wars was going down.

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Crawdads is actually showing a better legs than Elvis and Dogs! That 96% RT verified audience score is a real deal! I thought it was inflated by hardcore fans. 

Chick lit adaptations aren't really as fan-driven as you might think. Gone Girl was a more iconic source material and did 4.47x its opening despite a B Cinemascore. Which like...yeah that had Oscar buzz, but even Girl on the Train, which earned a disastrous B- Cinemascore, still did three times its opening.

This is also anecdotal, but a whole bunch of coworkers today mentioned seeing the movie together on a girls night out because they read the book together and couldn't stop raving about it. It's a hit!

3 hours ago, M37 said:

I’m expecting Nope to track more similarly to Scream: a fan driven frontloaded “horror” film, but skewing more adult, with good WOM and decent legs. Still probably going to drop around 60% in 2nd weekend given how much of OW came from Thursday, but should stabilize and settle into a solid groove from there

I think it’ll be difficult since Scream was released during the height of Omicron and in January. Nope has July and August weekdays. 

Titanic’s “bigness” is also felt with its total pop culture dominance. The soundtrack to the movie spent 17 weeks at #1 and is certified 11x platinum! “My Heart Will Go On” is one of the biggest global hits of all time. Every TV show had a “I’m flying, Jack!” parody. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think it’ll be difficult since Scream was released during the height of Omicron and in January. Nope has July and August weekdays. 

Was referring more towards weekly drops, not day by comparisons. And I’m not sure any COVID factor was significantly more prevalent in weeks 1-2 of Scream’s release than weeks 3-7/8, so as to alter the overall trajectory 

18 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Titanic’s “bigness” is also felt with its total pop culture dominance. The soundtrack to the movie spent 17 weeks at #1 and is certified 11x platinum! “My Heart Will Go On” is one of the biggest global hits of all time. Every TV show had a “I’m flying, Jack!” parody. 

That song sold more albums than any in history (60m+ worldwide).

• Like 1

Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
1 (1) Nope Universal $3,867,360 -29%   3,785 $1,022 $58,474,740 6
2 (2) Thor: Love and Thunder Walt Disney $2,629,778 -28% -42% 4,370 $602 $285,936,975 20
3 (3) Minions: The Rise of Gru Universal $2,617,545 -27% -31% 3,816 $686 $307,138,485 27

- (8) The Black Phone Universal $479,755 -15% -35% 2,055 $233 $80,180,150 34
- (9) Jurassic World: Dominion Universal $410,755 -26% -33% 2,165 $190 $367,054,425 48
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Was referring more towards weekly drops, not day by comparisons. And I’m not sure any COVID factor was significantly more prevalent in weeks 1-2 of Scream’s release than weeks 3-7/8, so as to alter the overall trajectory 

Sure it was. The peak of Omicron was 13th January, Scream opened to previews that day. 

Edited by Krissykins

50 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

So first week should finish around $62M, put the floor for final gross at $110-$115M, but I think it’s more likely it ends up in $125-$135M+ range 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sure it was. The peak of Omicron was 13th January, Scream opened to previews that day. 

Without belaboring the point … the national peak may have been that day, but the major metros - which drives the lion’s share of grosses - had tipped a week or two earlier. And more at issue, I don’t think there was a large contingent of Scream’s audience that delayed viewing over COVID concerns, came out a couple of weeks later, and materially altered the holding/drop pattern, creating a false impression of legs (certainly some did, but then how many just skipped it in theaters?) 

Rather it was solid WOM and lack of competition, similar to Nope’s pathway

Still hanging with the elite, TGM 60m away from mock 700.

Biggest domestic 9th Wednesday:

1 Feb 17, 2010  Avatar $1,711,050 2,685 $637 $669,935,879
2 Feb 18, 1998  Titanic $1,627,967 3,002 $542       $379,772,544
3 Jul 27, 2022  Top Gun: Maverick      $1,392,305     3,160     $441 $640,465,348
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Everything really came together for that Day 58th gross to happen with it falling on Valentine's Day and being the Saturday after its record-tying Oscar nomination haul.

Speaking of E.T. though, I have been going through the Variety box office archives and it is fascinating to read the analysis about it happening in real time. 

The fact that Weeks 2-5 were all bigger than Week 1 and it was doing those $10m+ weekends when that was at OW-record level area is just insane. It seems by around Week 7 analysts knew Star Wars was going down.

Yes, should be very interesting for the people who could those numbers in that age. Can you post the link of this analysis?
Would be nice to make this journey to the "ancient" times of box office, and of course, the run of ET was amazing even for that time of leggy runs in general. 
I liked the movie, but no so much as Titanic or Star Wars and for me is little difficult to understand how could be that kind of mega success to beat Star Wars, i guess that was the taste for people in that moment....