setna

Weekday numbers 7-26 to 7-29

HRF won't work. Not sure why Cameron is pushing it. I'm all for experiment, but it just not feasible. First of all, many cinema projectors can't play it and it's a complicated procedure to set it up. Second of all, it just doesn't look great. I watched The Hobbit in HFR and it was terrible. Granted it takes 30 minutes for the eyes to adjust, but good luck trying to get a pre-show and trailers set up in HFR before a main feature.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

If Nope follows Black Phone's first week, we get about a first week of 63.5M and a second weekend of...let's say 21.8M. Black Phone had a low Saturday jump and high Sunday hold because of the holiday stuff, so I'm kind of improvising here.

@WrathOfHan I hate it when you're right lol 🙃

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Doffy said:

Minions will definitely become illumination highest grossing movie.

Minions 2 could do it if keeps holding very well. The two highest grossing animated films from Illumation currently, are Despicable Me 2 (2013) & The Secret Life of Pets (2016) with both around $368M DOM.

53 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

HRF won't work. Not sure why Cameron is pushing it. I'm all for experiment, but it just not feasible. First of all, many cinema projectors can't play it and it's a complicated procedure to set it up. Second of all, it just doesn't look great. I watched The Hobbit in HFR and it was terrible. Granted it takes 30 minutes for the eyes to adjust, but good luck trying to get a pre-show and trailers set up in HFR before a main feature.

I wonder if that article I posted actually got it right. I’ve always read that Cameron saw the future of HFR as being you’d vary the frame rate depending on what was happening on screen. So this Titanic HFR stuff I almost don’t believe. It’s probably more the way the 3D is projected, which will lessen the flicker but still be 24fps. 

I recall him speaking quite openly about understanding people’s reticence to HFR and that it shouldn’t be used for an entire film. But that it was amazing for fast paced sequences of action and that was what he was going for. That’s what I’m expecting for Avatar 2 anyway. I really do think it will be some kind of pioneering experience all over again, although not of the same impact as the 3D of the first. 

Maverick, you're back where you belong! More of that pilot shit, please! 😁

Biggest domestic 9th Tuesday:

1 Feb 17, 1998 Titanic     $1,873,856     3,002      $624     $378,144,577
2 Feb 16, 2010 Avatar $1,836,327 2,685 $684 $668,224,829
3 Jul 26, 2022 Top Gun: Maverick $1,733,034 3,160 $548 $639,073,043
Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Maverick looking like $650 million by the end of Sunday with these holds. 

I’d go ahead and pencil it in, as Super Pets won’t have any impact. Should clear $8M for weekend, prob $8.5, maybe even $9M

• Like 2

I’ve just started watching this Light and Magic documentary series that’s gone on Disney+ from Lucasfilm today. 

Oh wow, this thing is unreal. Massive recommend you guys check it out. The ‘meant to be’ about how so many of those famous pioneers of the effects on Star Wars came together is just insane. You couldn’t make it up. 

and yes, for frequent visitors to these forums, I am saying something positive about Disney+

george lucas what GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Looks like it wil beat Thor Ragnorak domestically for sure

But tickets are twice as much now, so is it really something to brag about? Tickets in my area start at 15 for seniors and children and 18 for adults now. Imax is $24 for an adult. It's getting ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Warhorse said:

But tickets are twice as much now, so is it really something to brag about? Tickets in my area start at 15 for seniors and children and 18 for adults now. Imax is $24 for an adult. It's getting ridiculous. 

Sure. Guess we could say the same for Minions too, no? Because the original actually came out 2 years prior to Ragnarok and the original Minions grossed 336M+ DOM. Will Rise of Gru sell more tickets than Minions did in 2015? With today's ticket prices what does 336M+ DOM in 2015 equal today? Maybe Rise of Gru will top that number? I imagine that number is over 400M+ DOM somewhat comfortably so is Minions run this summer then really something to brag about? Or, ho hum as well because it couldn't sell as many tickets as it's lukewarm received predecessor?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sure. Guess we could say the same for Minions too, no? Because the original actually came out 2 years prior to Ragnarok and the original Minions grossed 336M+ DOM. Will Rise of Gru sell more tickets than Minions did in 2015? With today's ticket prices what does 336M+ DOM in 2015 equal today? Maybe Rise of Gru will top that number? I imagine that number is over 400M+ DOM somewhat comfortably so is Minions run this summer then really something to brag about? Or, ho hum as well because it couldn't sell as many tickets as it's lukewarm received predecessor?

Minions 2 was following Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame?