Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

On 9/18/2012 at 9:17 PM, RthMav said:
On 9/14/2012 at 2:49 AM, 'Fake said:

Great informative post (though I had to concentrate so much my head hurts :P).I thought the USD conversions were done on weekly basis and then cumulatively added. But I guess monthly rates also make sense. But what happens when a week has some part in one month and rest in another. Which month's rates are used for these type of calculations?

Typically the rates change on the last or 2nd last sunday of the month and usually there is a month set in advance (if not the previous month is still used until the current/next is set, so if Sept and your now in Oct if there is no Oct intercompany Sept is used , when Oct is set it will weighted average recalc the past days, now if you want your brain to hurt I'll explain the calculation LOL)but even if say Oct intercompany is released early at the end of Oct the month of Oct may be revised because intially it was an estimate on expect exchange rate(the diff is usually not very much)when studios in US are planning in advance they also have to have a rate to convert from $lc(Local currency) to $us, so if there are say estimates done (BO, Adpub, Rentals etc)for a xmas release there has to be an intial assumtion of what to convert the $lc estimates to $us

On 9/18/2012 at 10:28 PM, RthMav said:

Few Things (and I'm writing this at 100 miles and hour)1-Rentrak reported grosses, at top line they have two types of numbersA) -BO from territories that they get dataB ) -Studio WW reported number So for example A might be $100m (made up of data from X of Y territories/markets),B might be $120m the figure say WB has given them as the WW or Intl total for a film where WB has it in every country or mostNow for the top line number B is used but if B is not known then A is used, until there is a number to populate B (if ever)-In the case of the Expendables theres is no B, currently, the Expendables 2 has been or is schedule to be released in at least 63 territories out of those there are over 50 distributors, in order to get a full Intl total you either have to try and get a figure from whomever is the producer of the film (Which could also be a studio) or through the various territories reported weekend top 10/20 films you add up the totals for the territitories you can get, I haven't added up all the territories BOM is currently showing a figure but if its less than the foreign total they have then they may have been able to get a figure (maybe rough) from producer/production company (believe its Millenium films) , for individual territories BOM is currently missing approximately 10 countries (no major ones but still)For example Universal as a major studio has the right to Exp2 in a few territories but UNI only cares about the grosses for Exp2 for those territories it has rights in, so if it releases a figure its only for those ones. Roadshow would only release and be interested in figures from Aus/NZ etc, but both companies would have sent figures to I believe Millenium filmsNo matter what the title is local distributors & major studios do what is commonly called a producer report where, lets say you take the Universal example above a producer report will be done for weekend GBO (maybe featuring daily)& cume to date along with a comment on how the film performed and sent to whoever the producer/production company is and/or who they actually bought the rights off. the producer/production Co. (maybe a main studio) is the one at the end of the day that should have the actual Worldwide number.So in another example, if say Sony had rights to a film in 50 countries but not the other 50, they would only be concerned and report on the 50 countries they are in, unless Sony was also the producer/production Co that susequently sold rights to other countries then in that case they would have a vested interested in and report on total WW BO.

A few education posts from RTH. 

• Like 1

Top 5 Highest Grossing film of all-time

1 Avatar (James Cameron

2 Avengers Endgame(Marvel)

3 Titanic(James Cameron)

Avatar :The Way of Water(James Cameron)

5 Star Wars:The Force Awaken(Star Wars)

James Cameron surrounded Avengers Endgame!!!

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

1 Avatar (James Cameron

3 Titanic(James Cameron)

Is it Cameron now vs brands? 😂

1 hour ago, Sophia Jane said:

1 Avatar (James Cameron

3 Titanic(James Cameron)

Still AEG is second biggest box office hit after Titanic and ahead of both Avatars

• Haha 1