Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

8 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

India

definitely not India....India's overall admissions would be less than US, China. North India doesn't have good movie going culture which drags down India's admissions. We don't have exact tracking of admissions in India but based on few numbers I've seen, admissions in India seemed to be around 1 Billion admissions in 2019. 2018 also had similar admissions number.

30 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Thank you guys, and do you know what are the countries with the biggest admissions per year ? USA, China and India ?

According to ScreenDigest again, markets with most tickets sold in 2022 were:

India - 981M

China - 709M

US - 699M

Mexico - 182M

Japan - 153M

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

definitely not India....India's overall admissions would be less than US, China. North India doesn't have good movie going culture which drags down India's admissions. We don't have exact tracking of admissions in India but based on few numbers I've seen, admissions in India seemed to be around 1 Billion admissions in 2019. 2018 also had similar admissions number.

Nothing to do with your personal feeling.

The Yearly admission champion in the world is India

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Nothing to do with your personal feeling.

The Yearly admission champion in the world is India

It definitely wasn't admission champion pre-covid. Maybe it could have been last year due to Chinese boxoffice being affected partially due to covid but once things are back to normal in China, India will likely not be the admission champ

37 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

According to ScreenDigest again, markets with most tickets sold in 2022 were:

India - 981M

China - 709M

US - 699M

Mexico - 182M

Japan - 153M

It seems weird because in the post in last page NA have 1,27B admits but idk, do you have the number for France and where it is ranked ?

18 minutes ago, LPLC said:

It seems weird because in the post in last page NA have 1,27B admits but idk, do you have the number for France and where it is ranked ?

The post in last page was for 2018, 2019 numbers whereas the above number seems to be for 2022. I didn't include 2022 or 2021 because different countries had different set of covid restrictions and it wouldn't be a fair comparison

I used to have a lot of respect for Japan's market taste (in animation esp.), but dunno how much value they place on directors anymore and question whether the idea of cinema as spectacle is still alive (unless Tom Cruise is shilling the product).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

I used to have a lot of respect for Japan's market taste (in animation esp.), but dunno how much value they place on directors anymore

Okay, whatever, I have already seen how much respect you have for our directors whether it's Miyazaki/Shinkai in last 30 years. 

Now, don't tell me people aren't used to non-English Titles and DS was at max potential level. 

I largely believe Things should be at the cost of what you give is what you get

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

and question whether the idea of cinema as spectacle is still alive (unless Tom Cruise is shilling the product).

Film watching is alive. Avatar failing in Japan doesn't mean that Market has collapsed. We have more local films (Infact Transformer &Indiana Jones) that can perform better than Avatar.

12 hours ago, Dale Cooper said:

So what you're saying is that we have two good movies that worked out, two bad movies that worked out and then a whole lot of other good and bad movies that didn't work out. Sounds to me that it doesn't have much to do with quality after all.

What I meant to say it's not that quality content doesn't work out. But, things are often dependable on how being promoted and spread out.

In the past, I did mention that pre-sales of Avatar are very much PLF centric. Outside that, it's presence is negligible. (Meaning that people who wants to watch it watch it at best quality)

One more good example is it's dropping rate. Disney tracked up to 70% drop in 2nd Weekend - but Avatar did not had a terrible drop as termed with it's Opening.

People here opt with premium for best quality so much that Top Gun Maverick become the 2nd Highest Grossing IMAX Film below Demon Slayer Mugen Train ($27.5M) in Japan.

Animation does better but not always. Super Heroes more in US then in Japan. All Disney Animation didn't reached ¥1B except LightYear &Universal Boss Baby just only reached ¥1B (a huge drop from ¥3B)

On 1/20/2023 at 7:28 AM, Issac Newton said:

From @IMAX Japan (via @IMAX International)

IMAX has generated 20% of the current total Japanese box office for Avatar: The Way of Water and Top Gun: Maverick scored $18M on IMAX screens in Japan, becoming the second highest grossing IMAX title ever in Japan.

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - $27.5M

17 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Okay, whatever, I have already seen how much respect you have for our directors whether it's Miyazaki/Shinkai in last 30 years. 

Now, don't tell me people aren't used to non-English Titles and DS was at max potential level. 

I largely believe Things should be at the cost of what you give is what you get

Film watching is alive. Avatar failing in Japan doesn't mean that Market has collapsed. We have more local films (Infact Transformer &Indiana Jones) that can perform better than Avatar.

I love Miyazaki/Shinkai and several other Japanese directors, although Cameron had a strong track record there until now. It seems the studio is playing a bigger role in this scenario if the blame is being put on Disney+ (I understand why this would harm most product associated with Disney, but the whole idea of Avatar is that it demands to be seen in theater so I question why that was specifically an issue here if there wasn't really an access issue).

It's true the signs where there with TV ratings / home video rental/sales but you could also say that it might make sense to some degree if the idea is it is just not the same if you aren't seeing it in theaters. To me this would be more explicable if Hollywood product was failing across the board but clearly that's not the case (TGM, JW, and you have a turd like BR legging to $100m+ cuz of the soundtrack).

If 3D is dead there so be it, but a follow-up to uber-blockbuster that didn't have WOM issues with that multiplier declining so much is nearly unprecedented since this did not fail everywhere like the Alice in Wonderland sequel (closest comparison seems to be The Hobbit, but reception to that was generally worse everywhere and probably higher admissions drops across the board). People will be pointing to this for awhile in noting the market's idiosyncratic nature.