Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

31 minutes ago, Shanks said:

This is wrong. What you are looking at 1.405B Rubles is not just CIS but Russia included (667m Rubles there). So, CIS Gross is 738m Rubles. 

Total for CIS + Russia:  Gross - 1,405,338,824 Rubles  &   Admits - 3,672,776

Compared to Cheburashka, whose ATP is 306 Rubles vs.  Avatar's ATP is 386 Rubles ~

image.png

I thought the Russia wasn’t release…

Of two minds about the domestic total. It is a great result after the opening, but if you look at Canada seems there should have been $800m+ potential in NA. I know Europe is generally considered more cynical than America, but wonder if a different sort of cynicism hampered its US potential. Still hard to upset with the result, but TGM shouldn't be winning out even domestically.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Of two minds about the domestic total. It is a great result after the opening, but if you look at Canada seems there should have been $800m+ potential in NA. I know Europe is generally considered more cynical than America, but wonder if a different sort of cynicism hampered its US potential. Still hard to upset with the result, but TGM shouldn't be winning out even domestically.

The US is absolutely an underperformer relative to its ww total. If it matched rest of the world 700 should've been trivial and we should've looked at 800M, but that's just not the case.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

The US is absolutely an underperformer relative to its ww total. If it matched rest of the world 700 should've been trivial and we should've looked at 800M, but that's just not the case.

Wrong. Unless you think the first one as well was an absolute underperformer domestically.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Wrong. Unless you think the first one as well was an absolute underperformer domestically.

Well, yes and no. The original had much better exchange rates. A2 has beat all time records in local currency in quite a number of markets because tickets are expensive. Not so much in the USA...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

To call a ~$700M grosser an underperformance is pretty funny, but hey if u repeat it another time it may become a reality.   

What part of "RELATIVE" isn't clear here, I don't get it. Nobody is saying the film was weak domestically, it was just weaker than it should have been.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jiffy said:

one movie is stroking American pride

the other is doing the opposite

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

What part of "RELATIVE" isn't clear here, I don't get it. Nobody is saying the film was weak domestically, it was just weaker than it should have been.

Weaker than what? A 190 mins anti war pro nature - zero nostalgic and with no superheroes - epic “with no plot” doing this numbers in a country like the US (without also  the 3D wow factor of 2009) is phenomenal.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Weaker than what? A 190 mins anti war pro nature - zero nostalgic and with no superheroes - epic “with no plot” doing this numbers in a country like the US (without also  the 3D wow factor of 2009) is phenomenal.

You are right, no one ever expected numbers around $800M or $900M like AEG or SW7 so $700M sounds extremely good to me. In fact a large majority thought of a substantial drop compared to the first avatar and a result around $500M or $600M apart from sheldon who wanted $1B but realistically it's not an underperformance, it's almost the inverse and it is a huge unexpected final number for A2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LPLC said:

You are right, no one ever expected numbers around $800M or $900M like AEG or SW7 so $700M sounds extremely good to me. In fact a large majority thought of a substantial drop compared to the first avatar and a result around $500M or $600M apart from sheldon who wanted $1B but realistically it's not an underperformance, it's almost the inverse and it is a huge unexpected final number for A2

Yeah and don’t even make me start with how many bo experts with all their math predicted a Rogue 1 kind of run after the first weekend…

• Like 5

Die erfolgreichsten Filme aller Zeiten
Nr. Lira Film
1 164.749.593 Avatar 2
FLtr_small.png 160.057.802 Bergen
FLtr_small.png 124.110.064 Rafadan Tayfa - Galaktik Tayfa
FLtr_small.png 90.148.220 7. Kogustaki Mucize
FLtr_small.png 85.986.157 Recep Ivedik 5
FLtr_small.png 84.601.159 Müslüm
6 76.688.843 Spider-Man - No Way Home
FLtr_small.png 72.103.217 Recep Ivedik 4
FLtr_small.png 69.422.924 Dügün Dernek 2
FLtr_small.png 68.917.965 Dügün Dernek

Thanks for the inflation,Avatar break B.O record in Turkey

22 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:
Die erfolgreichsten Filme aller Zeiten
Nr. Lira Film
1 164.749.593 Avatar 2
FLtr_small.png 160.057.802 Bergen
FLtr_small.png 124.110.064 Rafadan Tayfa - Galaktik Tayfa
FLtr_small.png 90.148.220 7. Kogustaki Mucize
FLtr_small.png 85.986.157 Recep Ivedik 5
FLtr_small.png 84.601.159 Müslüm
6 76.688.843 Spider-Man - No Way Home
FLtr_small.png 72.103.217 Recep Ivedik 4
FLtr_small.png 69.422.924 Dügün Dernek 2
FLtr_small.png 68.917.965 Dügün Dernek

Thanks for the inflation,Avatar break B.O record in Turkey

This is all-time in local currency?

33 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

This is all-time in local currency?

yes,maybe not speaking much because of inflation,but we must noticed that even with inflation,beating All-time record is still impressive.

We must know that HLW film is not that popular in Turkey as it did in many market.

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiffy said:

So dumb, US/UK/Japan military allies got themselves twisted with this one. 😄

Americans have pride in their military, other countries do not (whether they are allies or not). If you want to talk about other countries such as Japan or the UK, other factors are at play there and that's not what I'm here to talk about.

But it shouldn't take a genius to understand why an old fashioned pro-military/American movie featuring Tom Cruise might do better domestically relative to the rest of the world than a movie with an anti-imperialist message depicting the bad guys mainly as Americans

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Americans have pride in their military, other countries do not (whether they are allies or not). If you want to talk about other countries such as Japan or the UK, other factors are at play there and that's not what I'm here to talk about.

But it shouldn't take a genius to understand why an old fashioned pro-military/American movie featuring Tom Cruise might do better domestically relative to the rest of the world than a movie with an anti-imperialist message depicting the bad guys mainly as Americans

I don't think that's why it succeeded in those markets at all, it's just an amusing connection that's already been pointed out. TGM is largely well-done/entertaining, but I wouldn't consider the degree of its success warranted (although will take any win for theatrical we can get these days so I was rooting for its climb to $700m).

• Like 1