Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

38 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

-snip-

You didn't have to give me example like that. You just don't want to understand my point. What you said is not just true for JAPAN, it's true for here in India or anywhere else too. In India too, we had 6 options of tickets -  4DX Hindi (700), 4DX English (750), 3D English (450), 3D Hindi (450), 2D Hindi (350), 2D English (350).

But, Even though ticket options were there, SHOWs were limited.

When I really went into to watch the Movie in 2D English - there was simply 1 show @ 2PM in theatre, which I didn't like or was full. There were dozens of Shows every half an hour for 4DX & 3D though. So, Even when I didn't want to watch Avatar 2 in 3D - I had to.  I simply had no option. 

Now, My Ticket price which if given option could have been 350 turned into 700.

I am simply speaking with experience.  Ofcourse, if you say it happens only in India - you maybe right. but I don't think so. I have seen people complain who were not Indians in these forums. 

Edited by Shanks

9 minutes ago, Shanks said:

You didn't have to give me example like that. You just don't want to understand my point. What you said is not just true for JAPAN, it's true for here in India or anywhere else too. In India too, we had 6 options of tickets -  4DX Hindi (700), 4DX English (750), 3D English (450), 3D Hindi (450), 2D Hindi (350), 2D English (400).

But, Even though ticket options were there, SHOWs were limited.

When I really went into to watch the Movie in 2D English - there was simply 1 show @ 2PM in theatre, which I didn't like. There were dozens of Shows every half an hour for 4DX & 3D though. So, Even when I didn't want to watch Avatar 2 in 3D - I had to.  I simply had no option. 

Now, My Ticket price which if given option could have been 400 turned into 700.

I am simply speaking with experience. 

I get your point but that isn't really the case in Japan as far as I can remember. Avatar had plenty of not PLF shows and even a decent chunk of non-3D shows, and they were selling like shit even at the biggest locations. That must have been the case even moreso for the rural locations because its mimorin share was stupidly high. I distinctly remember because I checked before OW, and I even made a few posts about how A2's non-IMAX sales were pitiful. Isaac did too IIRC.

Those shows were a freaking ghost town and case in point, it lost them almost instantly, leaving it playing mostly on PLFs which were the only shows selling well to begin with.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

JC said he gonna make Avatar become a franchise,let’s see if he can do it

It already is. 2 movies grossing well over 2 bln, video-games, graphic novels, attraction parks.

3 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

I think in some extent,Avatar is a ‘famous’ movie,but not a ‘popular’ movie,like Snow White,Indiana Jones and James Bond,they are really famous,but not popular nowadays.

Not popular movies don't become #1 and #3 highest grossing movies ever. Avatar just works by different rules than fan-driven franchises like Stars Wars and MCU, it's 'average Joe' franchise I'd say, like Jurassic World, but with much better quality and Cameron's magic. Alien, for example, has a really big fanbase and a lot of franchise media, and yet it does miserable business at box office since late 90s with Prometheus being the only exception and it wasn't even directly connected to it.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It already is. 2 movies grossing well over 2 bln, video-games, graphic novels, attraction parks.

Not popular movies don't become #1 and #3 highest grossing movies ever. Avatar just works by different rules than fan-driven franchises like Stars Wars and MCU, it's 'average Joe' franchise I'd say, like Jurassic World, but with much better quality and Cameron's magic. Alien, for example, has a really big fanbase and a lot of franchise media, and yet it does miserable business at box office since late 90s with Prometheus being the only exception and it wasn't even directly connected to it.

That’s why I said Avatar is a “famous” movie,most people who watched Avatar not even fan of Avatar series,just common people.

Edited by Sophia Jane

Deadline:

3D and Premium formats continue to thrive. In IMAX, the global total is $247M, of which $170M comes from the international box office. The China IMAX cume is $52M, the second best ever in the market. Overall, Way of Water is IMAX’s biggest global first-run release of all time and the format’s top performing release ever in 47 countries.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

I feel like we have now reached a point in the run where Europe is contributing close to 60% of Avatar2's current International gross. France + Germany + UK + Spain alone contributed to around $12M of Avatar2's $28M international gross this weekend.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I feel like we have now reached a point in the run where Europe is contributing close to 60%+ of Avatar2's current International gross. France + Germany + UK + Spain alone contributed to around $12.25M+ of Avatar2's $28M international gross this weekend.

Definitely, Europe is JC most beloved territory, his numbers with Titanic, A1 and A2 are giant, i think in number of inhabitants/gross ratio should be top 1 in the world.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, setna said:

Definitely, Europe is JC most beloved territory, his numbers with Titanic, A1 and A2 are giant, i think in number of inhabitants/gross ratio should be top 1 in the world.

Btw does anyone know in which country people go to the cinema the most ? Whether it's in terms of general admissions but especially in terms of admissions per inhabitant/population ?

14 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Btw does anyone know in which country people go to the cinema the most ? Whether it's in terms of general admissions but especially in terms of admissions per inhabitant/population ?

I think is South Korea, i remember some article about this, but only mentioned biggest countries in the world in terms of box office.
Maybe another small country has better ratio, but between USA, Japan, SK, China, India, Western Europe and Australia i think is SOuth Korea.

23 minutes ago, LPLC said:

From what I remember in Usa, France and South Korea the average person goes to the cinema 4 times per year or something like that and this is the highest number among the top 20 markets WW

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Deadline:

3D and Premium formats continue to thrive. In IMAX, the global total is $247M, of which $170M comes from the international box office. The China IMAX cume is $52M, the second best ever in the market. Overall, Way of Water is IMAX’s biggest global first-run release of all time and the format’s top performing release ever in 47 countries.

DANNNG

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

I think it's South Korea.

I took average of 2018 & 2019 for South Korea, North America, Australia, UK, France and these were the numbers - 

South Korea:

Admissions - 220M

Admissions/Population - 4.4

Australia:

Admissions - 87M

Admissions/Population - 3.5

US

Admissions - 1.27B

Admissions/Population - 3.45

France:

Admissions - 207M

Admissions/Population - 3.1

UK:

Admissions - 177M

Admissions/Population - 2.65

Regarding US, I think the admissions number being reported for entire North American boxoffice..so I used US+Canada's total population while calculating.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LPLC said:

According to ScreenDigest, in 2022 the Top 10 countries/regions with the highest per capita attendance were Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Iceland, France, Singapore, US, Ireland, and Estonia.

• Like 2