Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

People underestimate how popular Midsommar really is with younger people.

Between Midsommar and her performances in Little Women (Oscar nominated) and Black Widow (scene stealer): Florence is a star

Midsommar has definitely seen strong staying power in internet culture. It made a lot less than Hereditary at the box office, but I feel like it has significantly higher awareness among internet-literate youth (beyond just film buffs). Perhaps partially because Florence Pugh has seen further popularity since Midsommar released and is an active internet figure.

I used to run the Hereditary and Midsommar subs on Reddit and Midsommar had significantly more members and activity than Hereditary ever did. Its cult following seems to extend well beyond the film fan audience that Hereditary had.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Eric the Superdog said:

The two big animated hits this year were Sonic 2 (yes I know it’s not “animated” but come on) and Minions 2.

To me, the bigger strands that ties those two together were that they 1) played older, not really just for young kids and 2) are popular brands with the Hispanic/Latino and Black audiences (look at markets where they overindexed)

The rest you listed were aimed at younger kids, and had an audience at least 40% Caucasian (at least for OW). I think the effects of streaming are greater when the audience pool limited in that manner 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What a sweeping statement lol.

I mean the whole post was nonsense. But particularly that statement. 

90 M in 40+ countries, at a time where inflaction is at a record high in most of the big markets (Eu above all), with ticket prices at the absolute highest. Yes, no one saw the film internationally (hyperbole for : very few people know who the heck Austin Butler is).

Do you know how many spectators the movie had in Italy (60 M population?) 380K, which is basically nothing. Other EU countries have similiar stats, some better, some worse. 

As for Pugh, yes sure people online talking about midsommer definetely make her a star 🤣 Yet according to YouGov USA, only 47% of the people know her name, and only 30% actually has a positive opinion on her.

The delusion on this board is something to behold.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

56 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

LOL What? 

None of these are stars. 

Chalamet has not  been a draw in any of the movies he starred as a lead in. On the contrary, his "Beautiful boy" flopped earning 15 M on a 20 M budget, "A rainy day in New York" was one of the poorest performing Woody Allen's movie in Europe and Worldwide, "The French dispatch" was an unusual misfire for Wes Anderson's standard, while "The King" performed badly even on streaming.   His only "success" as a lead post- CMBYN so far has been Dune, and I'm sure that it has more to do with the built-in fanbase than with his star appeal. 

Florence Pugh is another master of the quiet flops. None of the movies she has been the lead of were successful at the B.O., bar "Little Women", and I'm pretty sure that was Saoirse Ronan doing the heavy lifting. 

Austin butler is a nobody and Elvis is only performing well in USA, no one saw this movie internationally.

Zendaya is actually well-known because of Spider-man and Euphoria, but her fanbase is mostly teenagers, it's unlikely anyone over 40 know who she is.

Being popular on film twitter or reddit/movies does not make anyone a star.

You did this rubbish last weekend. Give it a rest and go and yell at some clouds. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

I said that’s who Hollywood is pushing to be the newer movie stars. Whether they will catch on with the movie going public is anyone’s guess. It Austin does get the Oscar nomination that will catapult him into more lead roles. I forgot to add that Rachel Ziegler is another one they are trying to push ( she got like three lead roles out of nowhere) 

Well if the rumor mill is to be believed, he’s going to be the DCEU Green Arrow, so he already has a franchise role locked up if that’s the case 

9 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

You did this rubbish last weekend. Give it a rest and go and yell at some clouds. 

I'm talking with actual datas (movie performances and Yougov stats)  while you're being pressed for no reason. Are you Chalamet, Pugh etc. agent? 

They are not stars that is a fact, not an opinion. They are up and comers, well liked by some circles, earning a lot of money...which is all good for them. But stars? Hell no. Also, I'm never the one who is bringing this stars arguement first. But if others write their opinion on this subject, I'm free to give mine which, accidentally, is also based on actual datas and not only my own impression. If you don't like reading me just skip my (very few, like 50 in 2 years) messages. 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

5 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I'm talking with actual datas (movie performances and Yougov stats)  while you're being pressed for no reason. Are you Chalamet, Pugh etc. agent? 

They are not stars that is a fact, not an opinion. They are up and comers, well liked by some circles, earning a lot of money...which is all good for them. But stars? Hell no. Also, I'm never the one who is bringing this stars arguement first. But if others write their opinion on this subject, I'm free to give mine which, accidentally, is also based on actual datas and not only my own impression. If you don't like reading me just skip my (very few, like 50 in 2 years) messages. 

No facts here at all. Just opinions stated with general statements dismissing anyone elses views, just like last weekend. Carry on and come back again next weekend thread when you will be able to target Brad Pitt or someone else from Bullet Train or talk about how its not made 5 times its budget yet or made enough money in Finland to justify giving the director anything more than a half eaten cheese sandwich.

Pugh is a star, Zendaya and TC are. Gievn the right vehicle they can blossom. But they of course will make Indie small movies mixed in with other more general fare that will have box office success. Elvis is a box office success and Peele will get a good budget again for his next movie. 

I basically don't agree with any of your opinions. But you have the right to express them. Just that some might push back on them. 

1 hour ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

LOL What? 

None of these are stars. 

Chalamet has not  been a draw in any of the movies he starred as a lead in. On the contrary, his "Beautiful boy" flopped earning 15 M on a 20 M budget, "A rainy day in New York" was one of the poorest performing Woody Allen's movie in Europe and Worldwide, "The French dispatch" was an unusual misfire for Wes Anderson's standard, while "The King" performed badly even on streaming.   His only "success" as a lead post- CMBYN so far has been Dune, and I'm sure that it has more to do with the built-in fanbase than with his star appeal. 

Florence Pugh is another master of the quiet flops. None of the movies she has been the lead of were successful at the B.O., bar "Little Women", and I'm pretty sure that was Saoirse Ronan doing the heavy lifting. 

Austin butler is a nobody and Elvis is only performing well in USA, no one saw this movie internationally.

Zendaya is actually well-known because of Spider-man and Euphoria, but her fanbase is mostly teenagers, it's unlikely anyone over 40 know who she is.

Being popular on film twitter or reddit/movies does not make anyone a star.

Being popular among +40 years old also don't make anyone a star lol 

Sometimes people keeps pretending we are in the 80's where there was a clear succesful manipulation of pop culture from studios that make people stars worldwide. 

We're in the internet era, everything is super fragmented these days, including celebrities. Outside of a few oldschool names like Cruise, the new stars appeal for their niches, and there's nothing wrong with that. 

Chamalet is well known by pretty much every teenage / young adult, that's a star these days, things change. 

Edited by ThomasNicole

Just now, Ronin46 said:

Pugh is a star, Zendaya and TC are. Gievn the right vehicle they can blossom. But they of course will make Indie small movies mixed in with other more general fare that will have box office success. 

100% this. 

Not only the conception of a star has changed since the internet explosion, but moviegoing habits as well. 

20 years ago pretty much every type of movie could be a box office hit if everything goes right, so it was easier for stars to keep doing good business on box office even outside of franchises etc. 

These days most movies that aren't based on IP's doesn't have a big audience theatrically. It's not Chamalet fault that people didn't saw some Woody Allen movie lol.

And actors can't keep doing just blockbusters, even creatively this is not good, so in the end It's kinda expected that now even some big stars will appear in a lot of movies that don't do big business and this tells way more about what industry becomes than about their popularity.

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

100% this. 

Not only the conception of a star has changed since the internet explosion, but moviegoing habits as well. 

20 years ago pretty much every type of movie could be a box office hit if everything goes right, so it was easier for stars to keep doing good business on box office even outside of franchises etc. 

These days most movies that aren't based on IP's doesn't have a big audience theatrically. It's not Chamalet fault that people didn't saw some Woody Allen movie lol.

And actors can't keep doing just blockbusters, even creatively this is not good, so in the end It's kinda expected that now even some big stars will appear in a lot of movies that don't do big business and this tells way more about what industry becomes than about their popularity.

I looked at this so called Yougov site and the most popular actor was Morgan Freeman/Betty White, most popular group was the Eagles and tv personality was Alex Tribeck. The site must have not been updated since 1980 just like the guys opinions. 

Edited by Ronin46
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I looked at this so called Yougov site and the most popular actor was Morgan Freeman/Betty White, most popular group was the Eagles and tv personality was Alex Tribeck. The site must have not been updated since 1980 just like the guys opinions. 

Jennifer Lawrence is at 91% in acting, very high in the chart. Ditto Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hathaway, Emma Stone and even the likes of Zack Efron, Pattinson, Stewart.

Taylor Swift is third in music ("fame" sub-filter) at 96%, behind Gaga and Beyoncé. Ariana grande at 90%, n°17.

They aren't stuck in the 80's they simply ask people over 18, so the teens who are very loud on the web are mostly left out of the data. Yet, someone like Zendaya scores a very good 71%, which is obviously very good when compared to the scores of Pugh, Chalamet, Butler.

Yougov is active worldwide and is one of the most serious and reliable corp. working with polls.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

3 hours ago, Eric the Superdog said:

I still remember looking up Austin Butler after seeing Once Upon, because his name sounded familiar, and laughing my ass off when I learned his whole career prior was “the cute boyfriend” on every Nick/Disney Channel sitcoms I watched as a kid. Praying this means  Papa Nolan gives Josh Peck the gold he deserves 🙏 

I knew him as Chase’s replacement on Zoey 101 prior lol.

4 hours ago, Eric the Superdog said:

I know that it's a fun scapegoat to blame streaming for everything, and I'm not saying it's entirely invalid, but almost all the animated crop this year either had little going for them or were handicapped in some way that I don't think we can just blame it on Netflix or kids not interested in theaters.

The Bad Guys: This was unfortunately hindered by the whole “nostalgic toy commercials reign supreme” issue. It's currently plaguing the box office altogether, barring a few solid hits here and there, and even animated movies, which always pump out big original IPs, aren't really safe anymore. Even so, this was also put up against insane April competition that made it hard for it to stand out. If they put it in March (which they did for its overseas rollout, so there’s no excuse of not being ready), where it only had to deal with The Batman and get some solid spring break money from kids out of school, it wouldn't have been massive per se, but it would have easily passed the century mark and would have probably got around the midrange of Dreamworks box office.

Lightyear: The convenience of Disney+ hurts it yes, but this movie’s concept is absurdly cynical, even in this garbage capitalist hellscape we now live in, and it earned mediocre reception across the board. There’s very little you can do when your movie is considered a 5/10. Plus action-oriented animation has rarely performed well, unless you have a lot of comedy and silly humor infused in the project like Incredibles or Big Hero 6 or Kung Fu Panda. The only exceptions are Into the Spider-Verse, which is based off the biggest superhero ever, and the How to Train Your Dragon franchise. And those movies sell themselves on the E.T.-style friendship than the Viking action.

Paws of Fury: It looked no different from all the crappy CGI kids movies from the 2000s like Valiant or Space Chimps. Why on Earth would it have done well?

Super Pets: I actually thought the concept had potential as a “combines everything kids like” kind of deal, so I get why it was greenlit, but in execution, the film's a cheap-looking, average attempt to capitalize on Secret Life of Pets, a franchise that collapsed in 2019. It’s no different from all those Shrek ripoffs in the 2000s, except it’s for a movie franchise nobody cares about anymore. And while I doubt Marvel's Super Pets would do much better, I’d also argue to an extent that DC is a brand that hasn’t really been targeting kids for a while. There’s still Teen Titans Go and stuff, and the PG-13 movies will always have a kid audience in them, but there’s been three R-rated DC movies in the past three years. Plus Superman hasn’t been in a movie in 5 years and hasn’t been a star in any DC cartoon since like...Justice League Unlimited, and that ended 16 years ago (god that’s weird to say). Why would a 6-year-old in 2022 care about Superman and The Flash being in this?

The two big animated hits this year were Sonic 2 (yes I know it’s not “animated” but come on) and Minions 2. Both are nostalgic toy commercials that got a massive periphery demographic interested in tuning in because of a strong ad campaign, are based off massive, nostalgic properties that’s still super popular with all audiences, and their parent companies actually give a crap about theaters, since nobody cares about their streaming service. So this is basically a long-winded way of me saying that Puss in Boots 2 will be a strong hit this Christmas.

Tbh if Universal made the jump when Disney moved TR, I think TBG would’ve done 100m+, maybe more close to 125m-150m.

1 hour ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

90 M in 40+ countries, at a time where inflaction is at a record high in most of the big markets (Eu above all), with ticket prices at the absolute highest. Yes, no one saw the film internationally (hyperbole for : very few people know who the heck Austin Butler is).

Do you know how many spectators the movie had in Italy (60 M population?) 380K, which is basically nothing. Other EU countries have similiar stats, some better, some worse. 

As for Pugh, yes sure people online talking about midsommer definetely make her a star 🤣 Yet according to YouGov USA, only 47% of the people know her name, and only 30% actually has a positive opinion on her.

The delusion on this board is something to behold

95 M, until now, is in no way "no one is seeing it".

Italy is a Dead market in summer. Making 3M actually is really good for a drama and a not franchises movie. 

In the uk it has made 20M dollars. Very solid and the last weekend was bigger than the one before. Coming for 25-30M. 

It'gonna make 280-290 m WW on a 85M budget. The movies is a success just from the theaters run. Deal with it 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

People underestimate how popular Midsommar really is with younger people.

Between Midsommar and her performances in Little Women (Oscar nominated) and Black Widow (scene stealer): Florence is a star

I would say her name recognition maybe isn't as strong as like Zendaya, Timothee or Tom Holland but if you mention who she played in some movies, everyone basically knows who you're talking about. I think she'll break out even further with Don't Worry Darling and Dune II obviously. I'm not sure name recognition even means that much cause like I'm sure everyone on earth recognizes the name Benedict Cumberbatch but if you ask them to name a movie he was in that's not Marvel.. they'd probably draw a total blank. 

Also you can't judge stars of today by the standards of 90's stars like Julia, Tom, Denzel, etc. People don't go to the movies as much now and everything's on streaming, so box office drawing power just isn't as much of a thing. You just need to be smart and attach yourself to a strong franchise/brand. 

Being recognizable is different from being famous or we should suppose Kim kardashian could be easily a movie star. 

You are a movie star if people buy a ticket because of you. Only reason the renevant made 550M dollars is because of Leonardo di caprio. Only reason OUTIH made 400M is di caprio, inception made 800m is di caprio and don't look up breaking netflix records is di caprio. 

Some Actors like Leo works in everything. Some Actors like julia Roberts in specifico genres but only reason wonder made 350M dollars is her. 

Here in italy will smith can sell everything. That horrible movie with Kate winslet made like more than 10M.

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, harrisonisdead said:

Pretty wild that A24 was able to push Everything Everywhere back into 1500 theaters this weekend, I thought the plan was more like 800. Pretty small PTA, though. I imagine most of those screens will be lost again shortly.

In addition to the general thinness of the market for specialty releases, I would guess that many of those theaters were probably willing to take a chance on a re-release thanks to how much it surpassed their expectations in its initial run. Anecdotally, my area clearly had it slated for the minimum two-week run, moving it from a midsize auditorium opening weekend to one of the smallest in its second, and yet it ended up playing for two months. Even with the dim prospects in light of how long it's been out and the fact that it's widely available on home video, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it could sell a few walk-up tickets based on the stellar word-of-mouth, as opposed to, say, taking a chance on a smaller movie that isn't gaining much traction.