Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

7 minutes ago, Ecks Ecks Are said:

If actuals get the weekend to a million then no, but if it's under $950K then yes.

Should do better on Sat/Sun by % than Friday given the daytime only shows, but I don't think it clears a million for weekend.  Guess Paws was just a placeholder until something better came along

22 minutes ago, M37 said:

with only Bullet Train really poised to steal away potential audience

16 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

wont it lose all IMAX to Bullet Train next week though? It seems like that will cause another hefty drop in weekend 3

Yes, but it already lost some of those PLF shows this week, so it won't be quite the same impact as losing them all at once. And my general expectation is that this will be solid 30-35% weekly drop title into August, so if it declines say 45% vs Bullet Train, I'm not sure if that's "hefty" - don't expect it to be well over 50%

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

I mean even 800 might not happen :hahaha:

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Should do better on Sat/Sun by % than Friday given the daytime only shows, but I don't think it clears a million for weekend.  Guess Paws was just a placeholder until something better came along

Without Paws, we'd have numbers like last week and maybe a bit stronger (winner 95-96%). With Paws though, the winner will be in the 87-88% range.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-office-dc-league-of-super-pets-dwayne-johnson-kevin-hart-1235081099/

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Refresh for more analysis and chart. The expected summer slowdown is taking its expected course with Warner Bros. animated film DC League of Super-Pets grossing a $9.3M Friday, for an expected $23M+ opening. Warners was initially eyeing around $25M for the film, and some earlier week industry speculation higher, so hopefully there’s some lift from matinees today off the buzz from the A- CinemaScore and 4 Stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak.

Really thought the IM would have been better, and I know it'll still leg out fine, but doing on par with Smallfoot is pretty yeesh-worthy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric the Superdog said:

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-office-dc-league-of-super-pets-dwayne-johnson-kevin-hart-1235081099/

Really thought the IM would have been better, and I know it'll still leg out fine, but doing on par with Smallfoot is pretty yeesh-worthy.

Its going to be right around 11x, which probably reflects the IP brand as compared to Paws 12.5x

And I do this for everything, but especially for animated films, really have to look at first full week rather than just OW when comparing summer to other season releases. SP should clear $34M for first week from here (could be even $37M+), which is like 25-30% higher than Bad Guys or Smallfoot with similar OWs. Business/demand is just more spread out over the full 7 days rather than compressed into the weekend

Another strong showing sets up a solid weeked for TGM with just 14% down from last Friday.

Biggest domestic 10th Friday:

1 Feb 20, 1998 Titanic $5,239,962 3,006 $1,743 $386,765,500
2 Feb 19, 2010 Avatar $3,894,018 2,581 $1,509 $675,615,172
3 Jan 18, 2013 Silver Linings Playbook    $2,992,658     2,523    $1,186 $46,951,928
4 Jan 28, 2011 The King’s Speech $2,871,428 2,557 $1,123 $63,986,335
5 Jul 29, 2022 Top Gun: Maverick $2,400,000 3,008 $798     $644,303,700
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Wow, the late legs on this have been incredible. With this weekend’s drop and an incredibly light August, I think this will pass 150 million+.

That’s an awesome performance for this, and a boost to the “adult movies are coming back” argument. 

Elvis staying practically flat from last weekend, Crawdads looking at sub-25% drop, Black Phone posting a sub-30% dip, Top Gun looking at another puny decline...it's wonderful to see a fully functioning box office that allows for movies across multiple genres to thrive.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Elvis staying practically flat from last weekend, Crawdads looking at sub-25% drop, Black Phone posting a sub-30% dip, Top Gun looking at another puny decline...it's wonderful to see a fully functioning box office that allows for movies across multiple genres to thrive.

Canada has a holiday this weekend which should juice up its Sunday and Monday grosses too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Seeing some pretty timid Elvis nums thrown around. I say it will beat Knives Out easy. 

Let's not overreact to one (DI inflated) Friday/Friday hold.  Best weekly decline so far has been -17%, and looks to be a clear second/third option, performing well in absence of new releases, which means it could thrive in the dog days of August in September

... but that also presumes it doesn't get the usual 45-day release onto HBO Max and undercut that potential

10 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Good for Austin Butler, he was great as Elvis

Lol at Nope, it'll barely make 100m 

Huh? What numbers are you looking at? It’ll be at $80m tomorrow night. 

To barely make another $20m after a $19m weekend? In summer? With no big competition? 

Nope will be going over $120m. 

• Like 7