Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This is a take, it's not an accurate or even a logical or sensible take, but it's a take nonetheless

The gaps in logic and failed mathematics behind this tweet reminds me of Terrence Howard’s new science 

Scott from Forbes with 1 of his predictions.

Top Gun: Maverick (Paramount/May 27/$125 million)

This sequel was shot way back in summer 2018, with the initial summer 2019 release date being pushed back to summer 2020 until Covid screwed everything up. Three years ago, I was pretty pessimistic about this one. After all, it’s a 35-years-later sequel with zero kid appeal starring a huge movie star (Tom Cruise) whose non-Mission: Impossible movies still tend to have an under-$400 million worldwide ceiling. Paramount seems high on it, and I liked Cruise’s American Made (a pessimistic look at the Iran/Contra scandal) and director Joseph Kosinski’s Only the Brave is so damn good that I’ve entirely forgiven him for Tron: Legacy. Moreover, while I’m still not overly optimistic, Paramount seems to be (they are showing the movie at CinemaCon on Thursday) and they’ve been on a stunning streak in 2022 with Scream, Jackass Forever, The Lost City and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Still, Cruise is still “the man,” but his non-Ethan Hunt films have topped out at over/under $100 million for the last 15 years. Is Maverick enough of a “marquee character” to move the needle?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Almost none of the people mentioned in last pages is star. Hollywood don't really have box office STARs. Hollywood has IPs. Iron Man is a STAR. RDJ not so much.

You're not wrong Hollywood is too determined on IPs but Leo is literally a box office star and draw. Bullock, too. 

I thought we agreed years ago that star power still exists it's just "value added" based on the project and you can't just put out a basic genre movie and print money anymore. Guess not though.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You're not wrong Hollywood is too determined on IPs but Leo is literally a box office star and draw. Bullock, too. 

Yeah Leo can pass as one but most of his films also have a big director name. 

Asian cinema still has star system working unlike West. Even Hollywood star power works better in Asia than they do in West.

If you wanna see what star power is, follow Indian box office.

• Like 1

I think WB and WAG will probably look at adapting Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew because that's another superhero talking animal group but unlike Super Pets, it's not connected to the wider DC universe so they can mess around with it much like how Big Hero 6 was very loosely based on the comic.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB and WAG will probably look at adapting Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew because that's another superhero talking animal group but unlike Super Pets, it's not connected to the wider DC universe so they can mess around with it much like how Big Hero 6 was very loosely based on the comic.

Pig-Iron!

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

There is quite a lot of properties WBA/WAG can adapt from DC that are lesser known like Big Hero 6 was. Zoo Crew is one, Metal Men is another but my top picks would be Doom Patrol, Legion of Superheroes, and the Milestone properties not named Static. I could even see Blackhawk’s and Wildcats/Stormwatch from DC’s Wildstorm working as well. Doubt any of those properties will get the live action theatrical experience any time soon 

3 minutes ago, El Gato said:

There is quite a lot of properties WBA/WAG can adapt from DC that are lesser known like Big Hero 6 was. Zoo Crew is one, Metal Men is another but my top picks would be Doom Patrol, Legion of Superheroes, and the Milestone properties not named Static. I could even see Blackhawk’s and Wildcats/Stormwatch from DC’s Wildstorm working as well. Doubt any of those properties will get the live action theatrical experience any time soon 

Doom Patrol is probably a bit too weird and mature for animation, Metal Men is already in development by Musker and Clements at WAG, that one I think they could get away with making the character of Will Magnus younger

49 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah Leo can pass as one but most of his films also have a big director name. 

Asian cinema still has star system working unlike West. Even Hollywood star power works better in Asia than they do in West.

If you wanna see what star power is, follow Indian box office.

Leo's last big directors theatrically: Tarantino (inconsistent, look at Hateful 8), Inarritu (far from a box office draw as a director), Scorsese (flops constantly without Leo, look at Hugo and Silence), Luhrmann (another director without big audience pull)

Ironically, Leo's last theatrical dud was J. Edgar which was directed by Clint Eastwood. So just because he works with big director names, Leo is really the one doing the drawing. Inception was a combo of nolan following up TDK (Prestige certainly wasn't a huge hit) and Leo's power

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I thought we agreed years ago that star power still exists it's just "value added" based on the project and you can't just put out a basic genre movie and print money anymore. Guess not though.

Pretty much. Same as diversity in movies, audiences won't seek out movies which are diverse unless they become genuine pop culture phenomena like EEAAO. If there's diversity in movies they were planning on watching anyway, they will not mind but the seeking out specifically on diversity isn't something that happens.

1 hour ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Paw Patrol did $144M on a $26M budget last year.

Yeah, worldwide, only $40M in US. Super Pets is going to triple that 

@Eric the Superdog @WrathOfHan July moviegoing is officially over!

11x:

Thor: Love and Thunder: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Benediction, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Lightyear Round 2, Elvis Dolby

Nope: The Batman Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 3 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX

9x:

Avatar: The Way of Water: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 35mm, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2

8x:

DC League of Super-Pets: The Mitchells vs. the Machines, King Richard, 2022 Animated Shorts, The Bad Guys, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2, Minions: The Rise of Gru

Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, The Bad Guys, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Minions: The Rise of Gru

Bullet Train: Morbius Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, The Black Phone

6x:

Fire of Love: Benediction, Starman 70mm, Geronimo: An American Legend 70mm, A Star is Born 35mm, Official Competition, GoodFellas 35mm

5x:

Strange World: Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX

Smile: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX, Nope Dolby, The Black Phone

4x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Sing 2 Dolby, Belle Round 2, Morbius Dolby, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Elvis Dolby

Black Adam: Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Elvis Dolby, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX

3x:

Where the Crawdads Sing: The Lost City Dolby, Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2
Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris: Downton Abbey: A New Era Dolby, Benediction, Official Competition
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: The Bad Guys, Lightyear Round 2, Minions: The Rise of Gru
Both Sides of the Blade: A Star is Born 35mm, Official Competition, GoodFellas 35mm
Don’t Worry Darling: Elvis Dolby, Nope Dolby, The Black Phone
Beast: Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Nope Dolby, The Black Phone

2x:

The Comeback Trail: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Marvels: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Unbreakable Boy: A Journal for Jordan, 2022 Animated Shorts
Three Thousand Years of Longing: Elvis Dolby, Official Competition
My Old School: A Star is Born 35mm, GoodFellas 35mm
Amsterdam: Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX
The Menu: Benediction, Nope Dolby
CatVideoFest 2022: Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, James and the Giant Peach 35mm
Lyle Lyle Crocodile: Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super-Pets
Bodies Bodies Bodies: Nope Dolby, The Black Phone
Oppenheimer: Nope Dolby, The Black Phone

1x:

The Devil’s Light: Nightmare Alley
Brahmāstra Part One: Shiva: RRR
Adhira: RRR
Devotion: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 40th Anniversary: Jurassic World Dominion IMAX
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear Dolby
Vengeance: Top Gun: Maverick Round 2
My Donkey, My Lover and I: Official Competition
A Love Song: Official Competition
Gabby Giffords Won’t Back Down: Official Competition
Gone in the Night: Official Competition
Ticket to Paradise: Minions: The Rise of Gru
Till: Nope Dolby
The Woman King: Nope Dolby
Jaws: Nope Dolby
Halloween Ends: Nope Dolby
Shazam! Fury of the Gods: DC League of Super-Pets
Barbarian: The Black Phone
The Invitation: The Black Phone
Honk for Jesus, Save Your Soul: The Black Phone

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

Leo definitely has a good eye for projects, but what i've noticed, he seems to rely, of course on great directors and i also noticed most of his movies are based on books. I think it's easier to make a great project if the source material is amazing. So, the path to success is great directors and great source material. He has few original movies

Absolutely. He always make safer projects* but still the renevant made 550M because of Leonardo di caprio. There is any discussion for me about that. I can tell his very talked performance made half of the box office Total. 

* safer than? Hmm... Brad pitt?. 

Just look how Brad worked with Mckay when for everyone he was just a commercial comedies director and with the movie he won major awards. Leo worked with him after the Oscars. 

Brad worked with Inarritu when he was still a niche director, Leo after the Oscars (birdman). 

He worked with Tarantino when Tarantino after Years of snubbing became again an awards guy and critics favorite with Inglorius bastards. Who was there even if the kill bills and Jackie brown were snubbed by the Academy?. Brad pitt. 

I really can't see Leo taking half of his average 20-30m contract to make a movie with Malick like Brad did with the tree of life. That movie makes malick the author /director every major star in hollywood want to work with after Years of oblivion. 

Wasn't Leo in serious Talking for the main role in the last Del Toro movie?. And surprise..Del toro won the Oscar with the movie before. 

Anyways with Leo it would have made easily 5 times more. So he doesn't risk very much but he has a huge star power for sure. 

Edited by vale9001