YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

To be fair, the reviews cannot help but compare it to its predecessor. Which is basically judging the movie’s quality versus one of the absolute best films of the last ten years.  So around 85-90% positive must mean it’s damn good. 

They’re not comparing this to other CG animated films like Migration that they’re giving a pass to. This is ‘ok, but does it hold a candle to the magnificently great Inside Out’, which it seems like it does.  

well fewer critics even bother to review Illumination movies. Fewer reviews on rotten tomatoes.

• Like 1

Dayum, The Independent UK's Clarisse Loughrey came out swinging

Conceptually confusing Toy Story spin-off Lightyear died in cinemas – but Elemental, an original story about a culture-clash romance, was a sleeper hit. The studio’s inexplicable takeaway: more sequels, fewer personal stories.

It’s another gloomy reminder that the people who hold the purse strings all share a single brain cell

pizzazz-slap-o.gif

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Dayum, The Independent UK's Clarisse Loughrey came out swinging

pizzazz-slap-o.gif

Someone here said critics might be a bit more harsh on the film because of Pixar’s announcement of more sequels rather than focusing mostly on originals…guess they weren’t wrong.

Not suggesting full on sabotage or anything.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Did people expect a more critically acclaimed film without Docter directing? Seems like they got the job done of not botching it. 

Even if they got the same creators back it still likely wouldn't have matched the original, just look at Frozen 2.

IO2 being very good should he considered a lucky win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Someone here said critics might be a bit more harsh on the film because of Pixar’s announcement of more sequels rather than focusing mostly on originals…guess they weren’t wrong.

Not suggesting full on sabotage or anything.

It's also a questionable comparison. Lightyear was such a weird beast and I would argue that Docter probably greenlit it so he wouldn't have to make Toy Story 5. But there's no doubt that Toy Story 5 is going to make A LOT more than either Lightyear or Elemental.

• Like 1

I'm not real surprised at the positive but reserved reception, about in line with Onward and Luca

Looks like Wild Robot and all the Cannes/Annecy submissions still have a shot

Edited by AniNate

Reviews seem good here, certainly not where the first film was... but literally no other mainstream animated movie since has quite been able to get there, even if some of them come close. And it's certainly not bad enough to hurt the movie in any meaningful way.

I will say, seeing Pixar movies score in the 80% range on RT always throws me. It's usually either 90%+ or somewhere in the 70% range.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I'm surprised Deadline is the 1st to throw cold water on this - aren't they trying to hype folks going to movies, any movies, at this point?  That headline for a family with kids - "talky", "uneventful" "not much fun"- oof.  Are they trying to keep families home watching this on streaming?

PS - Sigh - there goes my 2nd movie guess to win the summer...

Only Pete Hammond does that, every other critic they employ is more or less saying what they feel

• Like 1

Found a review that incorrectly said Kelsey Mann was a senior creative at Pixar, and said he was a woman. Did correctly say he was a storyboard artist though, so I guess they looked at IMDb.

• Like 2

Don't want to say "I kinda warned you" when I said maybe we should wait a tic or three before presuming 95%+ on RT, but... Well, yeah.

FWIW, I think my biggest — source of concern is so the wrong phrase here so instead I'll simply say thing I noted — thing I noted to myself at the time was the lack of reactions from Big Name/Top Critics.  Found it somewhat eyebrow raising that they weren't commenting at all in the last 30 hours and it left me open somewhat to what we're seeing now.

Also FWIW, I expect the RT to rise a bit into the low 90s as less snobbish/less demanding critics continue to weigh in.

Either way, still a very good reaction from critics.  Just not Top Tier Pixar reaction.

• Like 2

Good reviews, slightly under what i expected but in the the same ballpark, it’s all fine. 

The interesting thing for me is that it seems to have some sort of pushback against Pixar new rule of “no personal shit” in the reviews. Lots of complains over the movie lacking some sense of personal heart, being way more worried with intelectual in order to find something that would please everyone. 

This complain are present in most of the reviews without context, but there’s quite some connecting it with Pixar recent outspoken new idea of “universal” movies. 

And to be fair this was the worrisome part about this new plan for me since they started talking about it, that the movies would lose their sense of personality, that feeling that human beings put themselves into the animation, turning the movies into just another somewhat soulless enterprise affair, too afraid of increasing polarizing audiences. 

Not saying this will make bad movies, but certainly less interesting ones. Curious to see if it’s the case with this one. Still, the reviews are solid, clearly it’s well made and does everything to not piss anyone, i’m fully expecting great audience reception and finally a huge hit for box office this year.