YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Kelsey Mann directs. Mindy Kaling will not return

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well the good? news for us is that there are no announced sequels other than Toy Story 5. And they don't seem to be doing mass outsourcing either. So it seems like they're not taking BOT's advice.

Though I do want to ask, what gross "justifies" a $200 million budget? $600 million? $800 million? A billion?

I don't expect anyone to take my advice lol and I'd personally love it if Pixar can convince their corporate overlords to keep spending $200 million on original movies even if they perform poorly and skip making most sequels. On the flip side, I'd rather see them do more sequels than see people lose their jobs.

There's also only one announced original film on their schedule too (Elio) so I'm not sure there's much to be gleaned one way or another from that. 

As for what justifies a $200 million budget, if we're going by that film making a profit theatrically, probably at least $500 to be on the safe side. Though I'm sure Disney would like to see these things back in the $600-800 million range.

I do feel it's not a question of if but when Disney starts outsourcing. From a business standpoint, there isn't much of a downside and there's not much the animation guild can do about it. Next movie that bombs will probably be the tipping point, can only hope it's not anytime in the foreseeable future.

Edited by AniNate

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do feel it's not a question of if but when Disney starts outsourcing. From a business standpoint, there isn't much of a downside and there's not much the animation guild can do about it. Next movie that bombs will probably be the tipping point, can only hope it's not anytime in the foreseeable future.

Don't know if this is worth anything but I did see a post on this site saying Steve Jobs made a shrewd contract with Disney when Pixar was acquired. Which might forestall outsourcing.

3 hours ago, MAZE animations said:

Wait, is Giacchino not coming back?

That's somehow worse than the director and actors not showing up tbh

Giachinno is busy with his new career as a director. He is working on his version of "THem" right now.

Who would have though Werewolf By Night wold havew been so well received?

Giacchino is still scoring IF, spurning Inside Out 2 feels like an intentional choice. Presumably it wouldn't have been quite as much a workload also since he probably could've reused motifs from the first and no one would complain.

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Giacchino is still scoring IF, spurning Inside Out 2 feels like an intentional choice. Presumably it wouldn't have been quite as much a workload also since he probably could've reused motifs from the first and no one would complain.

He might have a couple of films he is under contract score, but after those he will concentrate on his career as a director for while. He might have been approached to do Inside Out 2 after the sucess of Werewolf  By Night, and declined'

• Like 1

I don't understand why $200m budget is nessecary for the budget. Incredibles, Finding Nemo budgets are only in the $150m range adjusted for inflation. Hell, even Soul was in that range (Luca never got a reported figure but I'd imagine it's similar).

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I don't understand why $200m budget is nessecary for the budget. Incredibles, Finding Nemo budgets are only in the $150m range adjusted for inflation. Hell, even Soul was in that range (Luca never got a reported figure but I'd imagine it's similar).

Inflation is not a good barometer. Silicon Valley inflation is way higher than overall inflation. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Reminder for Pixar budgets, that's the number to run the studio. So it cost $200 mil to run the studio during production, more or less.

Yes. I remember reading on this. entire studio works on the movie and back then there were 300+ folks. I am sure animation costs or not that high. 

I was impressed the across the spiderverse creating amazing animation at lower budget but that came at a great cost where CGI folks were squeezed and pushed to work crazy timelines. So there is cost to things. Question is if Studio is paying it or the poor employees. I would rather have studio pay. 

• Like 2