YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Kelsey Mann directs. Mindy Kaling will not return

On 11/11/2023 at 8:37 AM, JustLurking said:

Pets2 dropped big time but that was barely a film. Dreadful even by illumination standards.

And yet it somehow still made $118M in profits. Still a massive underperformance but damn 💀

Edited by HummingLemon496

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

well yeah but SLOP 1 made $374 million in profit according to deadline. 💀

Here I was thinking you were being funny and accurate by referring to them as Slop 1 and Slop 2 before realizing SLOP legit is the actual acronym.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toutvabien said:

Safe to say this opens in the $120-140M range of TS4 and Finding Dory, wonder if it can challenge Super Mario's opening for biggest post pandemic animation. Will have to see how the rest of the marketing is received.

I really doubt it will do more than $146m OW.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 5:26 AM, toutvabien said:

Safe to say this opens in the $120-140M range of TS4 and Finding Dory, wonder if it can challenge Super Mario's opening for biggest post pandemic animation. Will have to see how the rest of the marketing is received.

you think? I could see a cause for under 120. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

you think? I could see a cause for under 120. 

The teaser was record breaking for Disney and animation, especially on TikTok. Think it's gonna be for Gen Z what Finding Dory and Incredibles 2 were for millennials.

• Like 1

RE: OW, I think 100 would be a gargantuan win for Pixar right now. Unless it was Toy Story 5 with 96-100% on RT,  there’s literally nothing they could release right now “locked” for 100 with the state they are in at the box office. So yeah, let’s aim for that first. 

12 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

RE: OW, I think 100 would be a gargantuan win for Pixar right now. Unless it was Toy Story 5 with 96-100% on RT,  there’s literally nothing they could release right now “locked” for 100 with the state they are in at the box office. So yeah, let’s aim for that first. 

Think an Incredibles 3/Nemo 3/legacyquel Monsters 2 with grown up Boo could do it even with MU reception but yeah 100m would be great. Feeling 90-110m rn.

2 hours ago, YM! said:

Think an Incredibles 3/Nemo 3/legacyquel Monsters 2 with grown up Boo could do it even with MU reception but yeah 100m would be great. Feeling 90-110m rn.

Ah yeah I did forget MI2 with Boo. That would make bank. Doubt threequels for Dory of Incredibles would be any kind of sure shot for them right now. No nostalgia card this time and I don’t know if either sequel is “beloved.” Also major CBM slump now vs height of the genre popularity when I2 hit. 

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ah yeah I did forget MI2 with Boo. That would make bank. Doubt threequels for Dory of Incredibles would be any kind of sure shot for them right now. No nostalgia card this time and I don’t know if either sequel is “beloved.” Also major CBM slump now vs height of the genre popularity when I2 hit. 

eh I think this is pretty much all wrong. I don't think The Incredibles benefitted from the dominance of the MCU. Also don't think a new Monsters Inc movie would be good or that successful..

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

eh I think this is pretty much all wrong. I don't think The Incredibles benefitted from the dominance of the MCU. Also don't think a new Monsters Inc movie would be good or that successful..

Oh it would be massive on OW if it were hitting right now as soon as people saw adult Boo in the trailers. MI is consistently as high as top 5 in a lot of favorite Pixar polls and lists these days. Agreed about it likely not being very good. Wouldn’t matter for OW.

Again, nostalgia cards have been played and dried up for Nemo/I. Maybe if they wait another 5 years or so. But I don’t know anyone who remembers I2, that movie was the film equivalent of granola. We also had plenty of discussion about the height of superheroes boosting that one. I think the official trades even talked about it in their box office articles at the time. And how many times can you make “Finding Blank” appealing as a concept?

TS is the only franchise with the trajectory it has for a reason. Long nostalgia gaps + the original three were and are all absolutely beloved. I’d argue 4 is not on that level, so we may see 5 be the first to break the franchise’s pattern. 

Edited by MovieMan89