YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

6 minutes ago, Tina said:

Very very early but audience score is sitting at 88%. I’m really hoping this gets to at least 400M. I enjoyed the movie and can see myself watching it again. Hopefully, others did too. 

88% is terrible for a kids movie, but it is less than 50 reviews. We'll have a clearer picture when there are like 500.

• Like 3

Something definitely feels off. This film is far below The Marvels on RT, and yet I heard way more bad about The Marvels than this film. Actually, I haven't heard much of anything about this film.

There's some weird anti-Disney no matter what thing happening, so this film may be another one that breaks out on Disney+ (much to critics' chagrins).

• Knock It Off 1

High 80s doesn't seem terrible, especially for a movie the Internet had their knives out for pretty much since marketing began. Gonna need to find some way to have a big opening though because I can't see it having Elemental's staying power when there will possibly be two more vocally supported options coming out next month.

Edited by AniNate

Just now, AniNate said:

High 80s doesn't seem terrible, especially for a movie the Internet had their knives out for pretty much since marketing began. 

What the internet thinks of a movie doesn't matter when it comes to verified audience scores. High 80s is mediocre (leaning towards negative), but the sample size is small so far. Could go any way at this point

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Rise of Gru has an 89% Verified, 86% all! 

ROG started a lot higher than 89% though. Scores for most movies go down as the run continues, due to fans (who are predisposed to liking it) rushing on OW. We saw this with Marvels, FNAF, Barbenheimer etc.

Read through more user reviews on Letterboxd where similar stuff like the refs to the classics make you wish you were watching those movies instead continues to come up. Seems to be a very prominent sentiment here.

Think the refs were definitely a bad idea if they didn’t have a great story of their own cooked up here. And 3.0 on letter is a really really bad start. It’s already about to slip below RBTI as the lowest WDAS there since the 00s. 

Edited by MovieMan89

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Interestingly, RBTI is also a movie that relies on a lot of refs and is the only other comparable score on Letter for modern WDAS. So maybe audiences in general really hate that sort of thing from Disney? Leave it to Shrek and the Minions I guess? 

I was actually drawing a similar parallel in my mind. I guess many people dislike it when it just feels self-congratulatory and isn't actually poking fun at the references.

• Like 3

The real irony here is that when Strange World flopped, a lot of analysts-- including on this very forum-- were quick to blame it on the fact that it was so different from a "typical" Disney movie, being as it was a science-fiction adventure story with a gay main character. The implication was that Wish, being closer to what people expect out of Disney, would inevitably be more successful. 

But if that turns out not to be the case, and Wish is another flop, that would be really bad news for Disney. Not just in the sense that they would have lost money on the movie, but in the sense that a formula that has worked for them ever since Snow White and the Seven Dwarves might be damaged beyond repair. If Disney is going to make successful animated movies again, they're going to have to do something they haven't done in a very long time-- innovate. 

• Like 2