SLAM!

SURVIVOR PANDORA Episode Zero: "An All New World Awaits"

@YM! @Morieris @Reddroast @DAJK @Gokai Red @Shanks @Goldenhour36 @Ethan Hunt @The Eric King @M37 @Agafin @AN9815 @Cap @Fancyarcher @The Dark Alfred @ZeeSoh @NannerManCan

I decided to post the first episode of Survivor: Pandora one day early! 🥳

SLAM! stands in the middle of the military base’s airfield.

SLAM!: Seventeen players. One winner. A perilous location. Welcome to Survivor: Pandora!

Four airships fly over the vast jungles of the planet Pandora. Each airships contains a group of this season’s competitors!

YM!, Morris, Reddroast, DAJK, and Gokai Red talk in Airship #1.

Reddroast: Looks like we’re almost there, guys!

Morieris: Sheesh! Look at that vast forest! There’s so much in the distance! It’s incredible!

Gokai Red: Any airbenders around?

Reddroast: Oh ho ho! Nice one, Gokai!

YM!: I don’t get it. SLAM! spends billions of dollars to shuttle seventeen people all the way to a planet that’s light years away from Earth. I mean, it’s a nice gesture, but it’s…

DAJK: Awesome, right? It’s AWESOME! We traveled through SPACE!

YM!: …We no longer finish each other’s sentences, pal.

DAJK: What? What do you mean?

(YM! pops headphones in, hanging DAJK out to dry. DAJK looks confused.)

Morieris: What’s up with those guys?

Reddroast: Drama from season six, I take it.

Gokai Red: (shakes his head) This season just started and there’s already drama. Incredible.

Confessional—YM!: DAJK got me voted out last season. And what’s more, he lied about it snakey-boy style. So you know I have trust issues. It’s only logical.

Confessional—DAJK: We used to be a showmance, but now YM! doesn’t like me. And I guess I might have made moves against him, but… I don’t remember doing that! I don’t remember any of what happened last season! So I don’t know why we’re not friends anymore…

Ethan Hunt, Agafin, Cap, and Goldenhour36 talk in Airship #2.

Cap: Okay. So I was one of the hosts last season, and let me just say… Goldenhour36, right? You better buckle up. Cuz this show’s one heck of a ride.

Goldenhour36: What’s the worst that could happen? Just some difficult challenges and suspenseful tribal councils, right? It can’t be too bad. 

Cap: Trust me, buddy. You don’t know the half of it.

(Goldenhour36 sees Agafin sitting alone in the corner. Goldenhour36 gets up from his seat.)

Cap: Be careful Golden, the seatbelt sign’s on.

(Goldenhour36 successfully sits close to Agafin.)

Goldenhour36: Hey. What’s up?

Agafin: Just a little shy is all…

Goldenhour36: Don’t be. We’re here to have fun, right?

(Agafin smiles.)

Ethan Hunt: Don’t get too attached, newbies. You might find yourselves voting out each other.

(Everyone stares at Ethan Hunt.)

Confessional—Ethan Hunt: Listen. If they don’t realize the cutthroat nature of this game, that’s their problem. But hey—their loss is my gain! 🤷‍♂️

Eric!, NannerManCan, M37, and ZeeSoh talk in Airship #3.

NannerManCan: I haven’t been in a vehicle this cool since the forklift I drive for work.

M37: We were just in a space shuttle, though…

ZeeSoh: You know who that reminds me of? Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue.

NannerManCan: You know Shenmue? Wow! That game inspired me to be a forklift driver!

ZeeSoh: No shit! Tell me more…

(ZeeSoh and NannerManCan bond over Shenmue. Meanwhile, Eric! leans over to M37, and they whisper to each other.)

Eric!: You see that ZeeSoh guy? He won last season.

M37: For real?

Eric!: Yeah. And he knows exactly what he’s doing, getting all social and buddy-buddy with a new player like NannerManCan.

M37: I see.

Eric!: Don’t tell anyone I told you this, but ZeeSoh’s my target this season.

M37: Gotcha. Your secret’s safe with me!

(Eric! licks his lips and rubs his hands together. NannerManCan didn’t hear the whispering, but he notices Eric!’s shady mannerisms…)

Confessional—NannerManCan: I can tell this show will reveal some people’s “true colors…”

The Dark Alfred, Fancyarcher, AN9815, and Shanks talk in Airship #4.

The Dark Alfred: Dude. DUDE. We’re on Survivor, man!

AN9815: I never thought I’d be selected to play! This is so exciting!

Fancyarcher: Ugh, I need a shower, I already feel dirty… (slumps dramatically)

Shanks: We’re not even on the planet yet.

Fancyarcher: I KNOW that, but there’s a 95.6% chance that I’ll be tainted by one of Pandora’s foreign substances, like its soil or its no-see-um type insect bugs as soon as I exit the airship!

The Dark Alfred: Relax, dude; you just gotta go with the flow, man!

AN9815: As a scientist, I’d say there’s joy in discovering another planet’s elements!

Fancyarcher: Bleghgughghghghghh… (slumps further)

Shanks: (crosses his arms) …Hmph.

Confessional—The Dark Alfred: Don’t tell SLAM! cuz he could kick me out, but… (holds a bag up to the camera) …I brought this marijuana, man! A couple good whiffs of this stuff, and I’ll have my head in the game four-twenty-seven! Calabunga, muchachos!

All the airships land on the airfield of the military base. The contestants put on their oxygen masks and step out to face SLAM!.

SLAM!: Welcome to Pandora, where this season, you’ll all compete to be the last one standing!

Reddroast: (cracks knuckles) Bring it on!

Shanks: Wait… What are we competing for?

SLAM!: Bragging rights. No cash prize or anything.

Shanks: …Hmph.

SLAM!: Oh, uh. Before we announce the team divisions, I have two announcements. Firstly…

SLAM! reaches to his oxygen mask.

Goldenhour36: (gasps)

Cap: Wait! Don’t do that!

YM!: Stop! The air’s poisonous!

SLAM! takes off the oxygen mask. Everyone stands in shock and waits for something bad to happen.

SLAM!: That’s right. This military base is protected by an air bubble, so none of us need to wear a cumbersome oxygen mask unless we’re outside of the base!

Fancyarcher faints. Ethan Hunt does an eyeroll.

SLAM!: Okay, so the second announcement has to do with our amount of players. There’s seventeen of you, but we need to keep the tribes even. So we’re going to banish one player for the first round. The banished player is granted immunity for week one, and they will join the tribe that votes in the first tribal council. Let’s see who’s getting banished by spinning a wheel!

Everyone holds their breath as SLAM! spins a wheel with seventeen names on it. The wheel lands on the following player:

Spoiler

MORIERIS

Morieris: What? Me?

SLAM!: Please follow the officials, who will take you into our base. Inside, your consciousness will be linked with your very own Na’vi Avatar. You will then spend twenty-four hours in a safely secured wilderness area as your Na’vi Avatar!

Morieris: …You’ve got to be kidding me.

(The officials take Morieris away.)

Confessional—Morieris: I’m going to miss out on getting to know these players… I can’t make any first impressions or start building bonds with other players… This sucks…

Confessional—Cap: So there’s already only two female players on this season, including myself, and one of them’s already been banished. Nice going there, SLAM!...

That’s out of the way. So now. Let’s get to the tribe divisions! Starting out, there’s two tribes with eight players apiece. The tribes, partially determined by factors including veteran or newcomer status, personality traits, and your selected number from one and twenty-five, are:

TRIBE ONE

Spoiler

THE WEEPING WILLOWS

Cap

DAJK

Eric!

Ethan Hunt

Gokai Red

Goldenhour36

M37

NannerManCan

M37: Weeping? Nah, man. We’ll be winning!

Eric!: We meet again, Ethan Hunt.

Ethan Hunt: Be careful, Eric. If you cross me, Creech from Monster Trucks won’t be able to save you this time!

Gokai Red: Talk about some Drama Llamas…

TRIBE TWO

Spoiler

THE ANGRY ARNOLDS

Agafin

AN9815

The Dark Alfred

Fancyarcher

Reddroast

Shanks

YM!

ZeeSoh

YM!: I think SLAM!’s referencing the wrong James Cameron movie with our tribe name…

Reddroast: That’s okay. No one cares about Avatar.

AN9815: Take that back! Avatar’s a good movie!

Agafin: Uh… What’s-his-name’s still unconscious…

Shanks: …Hmph.

SLAM! rubs his hands together.

SLAM!: Here’s what’s in store for round one!

Important Weekend Challenge Information

Spoiler

Everyone in the Weeping Willows or Angry Arnolds tribes will predict three-day weekend grosses for the following films:

Barbarian

Bullet Train

Don’t Worry Darling

On the Come Up

The Railway Children Return

Top Gun: Maverick

The Woman King

Please send me these weekend predictions by Thursday Sept. 22nd around 11:59 PM PST (or at least before the announcement of Thursday preview numbers).

(Those numbers for the Sept. 16–18 weekend were for practice; percentage scores for those grosses will be sent to players individually. Last weekend may have been optional, but sending in predictions for next weekend is mandatory! Good luck!)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Ahh @Cap @DAJK we are on opposing teams!!!!!!! Crazy

also @Legion By Night I am surprised you are not playing. Also sad that @Claire of Themyscira is not participating, you always brought so much fun and drama into these. 

I'm sad as well!

Sadly, I have a very time-consuming job, I'd hate to be a crutch on anyone's team.

• Like 1

@YM! @The Eric King @Ethan Hunt @Gokai Red @Shanks @NannerManCan @Goldenhour36 @M37 @AN9815 @Agafin @ZeeSoh @DAJK @Cap @Reddroast @The Dark Alfred @Morieris @Fancyarcher

Information/Rules Dossier (Important)

Hello again! I hope you're as excited for this season as I am. I want to run a few things by you now that the game has started, and a few ideas as well.

Concession Stand (earning coins)

Firstly, when your tribe wins weekend prediction challenges, or when you do well in challenges in general, you'll earn coins that you can use to buy advantages. The shop where players buy advantages used to be called the Tuck Shop... But this season, I've rebranded it, and it's now called THE CONCESSION STAND.

One example of an item is the Popcorn Bucket, which gives you an extra vote during tribal councils. This season, there will also be different kinds of advantages that allow players to do things they previously weren't able to do before. Click Here for more deets!

BUT. Be advised that unlike last season. I'm not going to publicly post any lists keeping track of how many coins a given player has. This adds an extra layer to strategy because players won't know if tribemates have purchased any items, allowing for some surprising game moves!

Tribal Council Information

So once in a while, your tribe might lose the weekend challenge, and you'll have to send me your votes for which tribemate you want to eliminate. You'll also have a chance to win tribal immunity by winning a tribal prediction challenge; more information will be shared as it because more relevant to the game!

However, this season has a new rule inspired by other online Survivor games that I've been a part of. Starting this season, if a player doesn't tell me who they want to vote out, the game will interpret that as a self-vote... So not sending in a vote could lead to your downfall! So for tribal councils, please don't forget to vote!

Information on Timing of Events

This season, I will always ask for weekend gross predictions to be sent in roughly by Thursday night. But a few other things, like the timing of when I announce results and the timing of tribal councils, are currently in flux due to college commitments.

Now, for results, I will always base the accuracy of everyone's predictions around the Weekend Actuals rather than the Weekend Estimates, meaning that I'll often have to wait for Weekend Actuals to be announced. In 2019 when I last hosted Survivor, I could always find them by around Monday Afternoon/Evening, and I could start working on tabulating results and writing the episode around then.

I'll let you know if something changes, but for now, you can always count on episodes and results being posted on either late Monday or early Tuesday. I might change when tribal councils are and what you predict for the tribal challenge depending on what allows me to get results out in a timely manner, but I'm going to play everything by ear and let you know the 'whens' and 'whats' and 'hows' of tribal councils when the time comes!

As for now, I will work on getting Practice Round Results back to you as soon as Weekend Actuals are announced! In the meantime, I will remind you once again that Weekend Predictions are due around Thursday the 22nd, preferably before 11:59 PST. I will also getting in the habit of putting out two weekly reminders, one of Wednesdays and the other on Thursdays, so that every player is sure to know about when weekend predictions are due.

Peace! :ty:

Edited by SLAM!

@Agafin @AN9815 @Cap @DAJK @The Dark Alfred @The Eric King @Ethan Hunt @Fancyarcher @Gokai Red @Goldenhour36 @M37 @Morieris @NannerManCan @Reddroast @Shanks @YM! @ZeeSoh

New Rules on Inactivity

Heyo! So I’m brainstorming some new rules regarding weekend predictions, mainly around the question:

What if someone doesn’t submit predictions? 😮

Currently, there’s a rule where the second time a player doesn’t submit weekend predictions, they’re eliminated from the game by default; and that’s going to stick this round for sure.

But after brainstorming before the first round starts, I’ve come up with some additional stipulations to follow in the interest of fairness to active players:

1) The inactive player(s) won’t be counted in a tribe’s weekend average. So for example, a tribe of seven players and one inactive player already have enough of an uphill battle against a tribe where all eight players submitted predictions.

2) If a tribe with one or more inactive player(s) loses the weekend challenge and goes to tribal, then only the inactive players are eligible to be voted out, and only the inactive players have to send predictions for the tribal challenge. If a losing tribe only has one inactive player then that inactive player is eliminated by default.

3) If a tribe with one or more inactive players wins the weekend challenge over a tribe with no inactive players, then only the winning team’s inactive players are sent to tribal, and the losing team’s tribal is cancelled (due to the banishment twist). If the winning team had just one inactive player then that inactive player is eliminated by default. But in a situation with multiple inactive players at tribal, if only one of them doesn’t turn in predictions for the tribal challenge, then the one that didn’t turn it in is eliminated by default.

These stipulations are designed to protect active players so that they’re kept in the game longer than inactive players. In all likelihood, the vast majority of players will submit weekend predictions, with maybe one or two players not submitting, and I won’t have to worry about my failsafes… 😖

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 6

On 9/20/2022 at 1:43 PM, SLAM! said:

@Agafin @AN9815 @Cap @DAJK @The Dark Alfred @The Eric King @Ethan Hunt @Fancyarcher @Gokai Red @Goldenhour36 @M37 @Morieris @NannerManCan @Reddroast @Shanks @YM! @ZeeSoh

New Rules on Inactivity

Heyo! So I’m brainstorming some new rules regarding weekend predictions, mainly around the question:

What if someone doesn’t submit predictions? 😮

Currently, there’s a rule where the second time a player doesn’t submit weekend predictions, they’re eliminated from the game by default; and that’s going to stick this round for sure.

But after brainstorming before the first round starts, I’ve come up with some additional stipulations to follow in the interest of fairness to active players:

1) The inactive player(s) won’t be counted in a tribe’s weekend average. So for example, a tribe of seven players and one inactive player already have enough of an uphill battle against a tribe where all eight players submitted predictions.

2) If a tribe with one or more inactive player(s) loses the weekend challenge and goes to tribal, then only the inactive players are eligible to be voted out, and only the inactive players have to send predictions for the tribal challenge. If a losing tribe only has one inactive player then that inactive player is eliminated by default.

3) If a tribe with one or more inactive players wins the weekend challenge over a tribe with no inactive players, then only the winning team’s inactive players are sent to tribal, and the losing team’s tribal is cancelled (due to the banishment twist). If the winning team had just one inactive player then that inactive player is eliminated by default. But in a situation with multiple inactive players at tribal, if only one of them doesn’t turn in predictions for the tribal challenge, then the one that didn’t turn it in is eliminated by default.

These stipulations are designed to protect active players so that they’re kept in the game longer than inactive players. In all likelihood, the vast majority of players will submit weekend predictions, with maybe one or two players not submitting, and I won’t have to worry about my failsafes… 😖

Just to make sure I'm understanding these rules correctly:

If just 1 player does not submit in a given week, then regardless of which teams wins the weekend challenge, tribal is cancelled and said player is eliminated by default?

If 1 player on each team is inactive, then the player on the weekend challenge loser is eliminated by default

And only in the (hopefully non-existent scenario) where there are at least 2 inactives on a single team do we get into the more nitty-gritty rules

Not sure how often players don't submit for the game, but personally I'd rather have the drama of counting the inactive zeros (or like a default score of say 50%), dragging down the team score, likely forcing said team to go to elimination, where the inactive player can miraculously save themselves w/ immunity and force someone else to be voted out. (Especially if a second inactive is an automatic elimination)

• Like 1

@Agafin @AN9815 @Cap @DAJK @The Dark Alfred @Eric from Progressive @Ethan Hunt @Fancyarcher @Gokai Red @Goldenhour36 @M37 @Morieris @NannerManCan @Reddroast @Shanks @YM! @ZeeSoh

Happy Thursday! This is your obligatory reminder to send me Weekend Predictions tonight by 11:59 PM PST (if you have not already)! Good luck! 

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Just to make sure I'm understanding these rules correctly:

If just 1 player does not submit in a given week, then regardless of which teams wins the weekend challenge, tribal is cancelled and said player is eliminated by default?

If 1 player on each team is inactive, then the player on the weekend challenge loser is eliminated by default

And only in the (hopefully non-existent scenario) where there are at least 2 inactives on a single team do we get into the more nitty-gritty rules

Not sure how often players don't submit for the game, but personally I'd rather have the drama of counting the inactive zeros (or like a default score of say 50%), dragging down the team score, likely forcing said team to go to elimination, where the inactive player can miraculously save themselves w/ immunity and force someone else to be voted out. (Especially if a second inactive is an automatic elimination)

Yes, that is all correct! And yeah, that drama would be fun, but I would feel bad for an active player if they were voted out over an inactive player. It's kind of a reaction to last season, when in the first round, there were six players who didn't send weekend predictions, and at tribal, one of the active players went home over three inactive players. That's the kind of situation that I'm hoping to prevent 😅. I agree that it would be anticlimactic for week one, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of other opportunities for drama throughout the season... 👀

• Like 1

@Agafin @AN9815 @Cap @DAJK @The Dark Alfred @Eric from Progressive @Ethan Hunt @Fancyarcher @Gokai Red @Goldenhour36 @M37 @Morieris @NannerManCan @Reddroast @Shanks @YM! @ZeeSoh

Last Minute Announcements

This is my last mass-ping before tonight's deadline, I promise 😅—but I have some last-minute announcements about the game that I'd like to share with everyone.

Concession Stand Coins

Okay, so some players will be earning Concession Stand Coins by being on the winning team or having high prediction scores. In fact, I have a big list of ways players will be able to earn coins throughout the season. But I'm not revealing exactly how coins are earned, at least not publicly... 👀

You know how Xbox games have achievements pop up while you're playing, and it has a title saying what you achieved as well as a number for how many achievement points you earned? It'll be a little like that, where you earn a specific amount of coins each week depending on what happens.

I'm also keeping a secret chart of how many coins each player has, and I'll privately tell each player how many coins they have after each weekend challenge and tribal council.

More information about the Concession Stand will be revealed when I reveal the weekend challenge results next Monday!

A Twisty Twist

I am pleased to announce that something very special will happen to whoever has the most accurate prediction for Railway Children! However, the player with the most accurate Railway Children prediction will remain a mystery until further notice. Stay tuned!

Late Weekend Predictions

So if you're late with submitting weekend predictions, don't panic! It's better to submit late than not submit at all. Here's how I handle submissions based on when I receive them:

Before 11:59 PM PST: Congrats, it's on time, nothing happens, woot woot 🥳

Friday Before Announcement of Thursday Preview Numbers: If it's before the announcement of the preview numbers, you're still fine, and there will not be a penalty to your weekend prediction score. Life happens, players have different time zones, so I do want to be lenient in this way.

Friday, after Thursday Preview Numbers: The individual weekend score is decreased by 10%

Anytime Saturday: The individual weekend score is decreased by 20%

- with Saturday 11:59 PM being my "hard cut-off" time where I can't accept it.

I hope this all makes sense, let me know if there's any concerns about this deadline system!

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2

@SLAM! I think the deadline is too lenient. One of the things that made prior survivors fun was the tight deadline for everyone. Loads of last minute strategizing and conversations happened. This system will greatly diminish that. 

More importantly however, having Friday numbers for the movies makes predictions very easy which kinda goes against the point of the game which is to be better than others at predictions. With Friday numbers in hand its no longer predictions its projection. Thursday preview numbers also make predictions easier but at least its only for 1-2 new releases or so. I understand there is a 20% penalty but it is too little. For instance in last weeks practice prediction, I had a score of 17% for one of the limited movie release (lol I know) but if I had the Friday numbers in hand I am sure I could have easily gotten in the 80-90% range. 

I think you should remove the Saturday deadline altogether. IMO we should go back to the Thursday deadline (or anytime before previews is also OK) but if not that then at the very least the hard deadline should be Friday after preview numbers (but with increased penalty, 10% is too low)

• Like 4

When are the theater counts get usually announced? I think we should all aim to send precitions before the Thursday preview figures the released. However, there could be a reason for waiting not necessary to know the Thursday preview figures but to know the theater counts for next weekend. Not sure how much time there is between the two publishing. So sending predictions on early Friday make sense. Saturday does seem a bit too late to send predictions, it's a major advantage if a film heavily over/underperforms.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

@SLAM! I think the deadline is too lenient. One of the things that made prior survivors fun was the tight deadline for everyone. Loads of last minute strategizing and conversations happened. This system will greatly diminish that. 

More importantly however, having Friday numbers for the movies makes predictions very easy which kinda goes against the point of the game which is to be better than others at predictions. With Friday numbers in hand its no longer predictions its projection. Thursday preview numbers also make predictions easier but at least its only for 1-2 new releases or so. I understand there is a 20% penalty but it is too little. For instance in last weeks practice prediction, I had a score of 17% for one of the limited movie release (lol I know) but if I had the Friday numbers in hand I am sure I could have easily gotten in the 80-90% range. 

I think you should remove the Saturday deadline altogether. IMO we should go back to the Thursday deadline (or anytime before previews is also OK) but if not that then at the very least the hard deadline should be Friday after preview numbers (but with increased penalty, 10% is too low)

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

When are the theater counts get usually announced? I think we should all aim to send precitions before the Thursday preview figures the released. However, there could be a reason for waiting not necessary to know the Thursday preview figures but to know the theater counts for next weekend. Not sure how much time there is between the two publishing. So sending predictions on early Friday make sense. Saturday does seem a bit too late to send predictions, it's a major advantage if a film heavily over/underperforms.

You guys are right, I think those are good points and that my current deadline system is too lenient;

Okay @Agafin @AN9815 @Cap @DAJK @The Dark Alfred @Ethan Hunt @Eric from Progressive @Fancyarcher @Gokai Red @Goldenhour36 @M37 @Morieris @NannerManCan @Reddroast @Shanks @YM! @ZeeSoh

I am officially rescinding the Saturday deadline thing, so the official deadline for numbers is Thursdays (i.e tonight) at 11:59 PM PST, and my hard deadline for accepting weekend predictions is before the announcement of Thursday preview numbers—but please strive to submit predictions by 11:59 PM PST tonight if you haven’t already!

Some players have expressed to me that they’ve had trouble finding the list of films you’re predicting; to clarify, I always put the list in the spoiler box at the bottom of the opening skit. That being said, I will post the list here as a reminder and as another place to access it:

Barbarian

Bullet Train

Don’t Worry Darling

On the Come Up

Railway Children

Top Gun: Maverick

The Woman King

Good luck! Get those predictions in!

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

When are the theater counts get usually announced? 

You can generally find theatre counts at BoxofficePro weekend prediction articles. But sometimes they are projections rather than actual counts. Other places to check would be trade articles (Deadline, Variety, etc). 

Another source is the-numbers but they post their theatre counts fairly late (close to the deadline). 

• Like 2

@Fancyarcher Hello! It has occurred to me that you might have sent me predictions, but in a message thread from a previous Survivor season. I have left all message threads from previous Survivor seasons, so if you've sent me predictions in one of those threads, that may be why I haven't received it yet. There's still time to send me predictions but you might have to delete some older message threads so you can send it! Thanks!