YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Enormous, outstanding number for certified hit Black Adam.. Elite WOM is clearly driving above average IMs all around.. $70m weekend looks likely along with $200m+ domestic gross..

Henry Cavill's Superman vs. The Rock's Black Adam will be an easy $150m+ opener, if not well above..:popcorn:

Dwayne?

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Maybe they were happy with audience reactions from test screenings? I don’t know tbh. 

The test screenings like the one where The Rock showed up, mingled with the audience, then posted it on Instagram? Because that focus group was sure to be completely objective in their surveys after that…

• Haha 1

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

The test screenings like the one where The Rock showed up, mingled with the audience, then posted it on Instagram? Because that focus group was sure to be completely objective in their surveys after that…

If I’m not mistaken he came out after the scores were already put in but I mean you obviously don’t like the rock so what’s even the point in discussing this lol. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, YM! said:

Missed the Blue Beetle discussion but honestly think it can be pretty big. DC comics fumbled the big with both Jaime Reyes and Virgil Hawkins as both could’ve easily been their Spider-Man in the comics despite Blue Beetle and Static being somewhat popular thanks to exposure in 2000s cartoons and appearances in video games. It also helps that’s there has never been a Hispanic led superhero film and test scores are pretty great. If marketing is strong and reviews are stronger, I think Shang-Chi numbers are the minimum (especially if it goes to September 22nd).

Why a Static movie hasn’t been put into active development yet truly confounds me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

Why a Static movie hasn’t been put into active development yet truly confounds me.

You’d be beating Marvel to the punch to Miles Morales and kind of X-Men. However Zaslav’s ass probably wouldn’t greenlit for obvious reasons considering he tried gutting POC workshops and a lot of projects he axed.

36 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I think it would need to make 550+ to call it a success on the budget but I assume WB will probably be ok with anything 400+(since a sequel is apparently already written). 

2.5* it's budget gets it to 487m.

If it gets a china release,think it can get to that and even touch 500m.

Thinking 170ish US.

390-415m WW minus china.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

If I’m not mistaken he came out after the scores were already put in but I mean you obviously don’t like the rock so what’s even the point in discussing this lol. 

Even if he came out after, he still turned a test screening into a marketing stunt, makes it all about himself. One fan goes “I loved you since WWE!” and another goes “what makes this film different is you”, because everything is always about The Rock.

No, I don’t find that stunt particularly endearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, YM! said:

Missed the Blue Beetle discussion but honestly think it can be pretty big. DC comics fumbled the big with both Jaime Reyes and Virgil Hawkins as both could’ve easily been their Spider-Man in the comics despite Blue Beetle and Static being somewhat popular thanks to exposure in 2000s cartoons and appearances in video games. It also helps that’s there has never been a Hispanic led superhero film and test scores are pretty great. If marketing is strong and reviews are stronger, I think Shang-Chi numbers are the minimum (especially if it goes to September 22nd).

Yeah, I'm already feeling like Blue Beetle will be a deluxe-sized Shazam! critically and commercially. Really excited for it.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Even if he came out after, he still turned a test screening into a marketing stunt, makes it all about himself. One fan goes “I loved you since WWE!” and another goes “what makes this film different is you”, because everything is always about The Rock.

No, I don’t find that stunt particularly endearing.

I don’t know, I just don’t get the hostility towards him cause he’s good at marketing himself. But you’re allowed to not like someone so it’s all good. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don’t know, I just don’t get the hostility towards him cause he’s good at marketing himself. But you’re allowed to not like someone so it’s all good. 

It’s not just him “marketing himself”. I just don’t get a sense of humbleness or humility from him.

We’re talking about the producer of “Young Rock”, a network sitcom about the childhood of The Rock, which has a secondary plot about The Rock running for President in the future, played by the show’s producer and subject, Mr. Rock.

It shouldn’t be controversial to think there’s Rock overexposure and fatigue, and his way of “marketing himself” compounds the issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

It’s not just him “marketing himself”. I just don’t get a sense of humbleness or humility from him.

We’re talking about the producer of “Young Rock”, a network sitcom about the childhood of The Rock, which has a secondary plot about The Rock running for President in the future, played by the show’s producer and subject, Mr. Rock.

It shouldn’t be controversial to think there’s Rock overexposure and fatigue, and his way of “marketing himself” compounds the issue.

Fair enough, I don’t want to go back and forth with you as I feel it’s just pointless. For me at least he does seem humble and does appreciate everything he’s achieved in his career from all his hard work but you obviously feel differently and that’s fine. Let’s just leave it at that. 

38 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Yeah, I'm already feeling like Blue Beetle will be a deluxe-sized Shazam! critically and commercially. Really excited for it.

Honestly I can see a situation it’s number 2 to Guardians 3 in that it pulls a Guardians/Panther/Captain Marvel.

Ant-Man, Aquaman, and Marvels seem like 300-340m grossers, The Flash is a wild card and Shazam seem more like an Ant Man 2 like jump. 

I mean Blue Beetle is still an obscure, D-List character. At least Black Adam was still in stuff like Injustice. And I know there’s stuff like Shang-Chi or Captain Marvel, but the Marvel brand is way bigger and boosts the name of everybody. DC is still at the point where they are more hero-conscious to get a big hit. Not that it’s a bad thing. Shazam numbers for Blue Beetle would still be great!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Eric Adam said:

I mean Blue Beetle is still an obscure, D-List character. At least Black Adam was still in stuff like Injustice. And I know there’s stuff like Shang-Chi or Captain Marvel, but the Marvel brand is way bigger and boosts the name of everybody. DC is still at the point where they are more hero-conscious to get a big hit. Not that it’s a bad thing. Shazam numbers for Blue Beetle would still be great!

Blue Beetle was also in Injustice. Hell Blue Beetle was a co-lead in that Batman cartoon in the 2000s. I think Blue Beetle before their movies was more known than Shang-Chi. I do agree DC is still building back up trust and Marvel is bigger but no one has done a big Hispanic led superhero movie.

• Like 1

Halloween Ends total run will be less than Halloween 2018 opening weekend. Very rare for a movie trilogy to piss away the hype and goodwill that fast. If a 4th Divergent movie had been made that would have likely ended below the OW of the first one as well. It's hard to find movie franchises collapse that hard thanks to a badly received sequel.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Halloween Ends total run will be less than Halloween 2018 opening weekend. Very rare for a movie trilogy to piss away the hype and goodwill that fast. If a 4th Divergent movie had been made that would have likely ended below the OW of the first one as well. It's hard to find movie franchises collapse that hard thanks to a badly received sequel.

It’s what Jason Blum deserves for moving forward with that awful script.

• Like 1