YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

$40K PTAs are probably what we can expect from the buzzy specialty titles going forward, I doubt we see another $100K+ in the near future as long as the LA chains that powered movies to such heights are closed (which is likely why Babylon just said "fuck it, we'll take advantage of the holiday season and go wide right away"). Don't be surprised when The Fabelmans also posts an average in that range in a few weeks too, especially when it's going to be battling with Black Panther for auditorium space even in LA/NY that same weekend (if you ask me they should've just opened it as a wide release on Thanksgiving like it will be when it expands two weeks later).

38 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't think the muted Saturday only applied to Marvel now, it is been forever since I got a wow Saturday number. The turnout rate from family just isn't the same anymore and that is why animation is still suffer now. 

While I agree families are a large part of generally weaker Saturdays, I think it’s more than that. Saturday is typically the most GA/casual audience friendly day of the weekend (relatively speaking), and that those numbers (and weekdays) continue to be softer is why I keep referencing a smaller theatrical audience in the post-pandemic market. The last “wow” Saturday I can recall was Beast … which also had an atypical audience demographic composition 

I’m not expecting great Saturdays for either new release (though I’ve been off quite a bit for this weekend, so take that with a few grains of salt)

• Like 2

Well...shoot. I guess I was wrong. I really thought there was no way in a million years that Halloween Ends would drop more than 80% on its second weekend. But I guess I got egg on my face there. It's all that stupid peacock's fault :ph34r:

• Like 2

Amsterdam won't even hit $15M in its whole run. This fall ended up being a lesson on the nature of star power and its correlation to box office: sometimes you need it when strong reviews/buzz aren't enough to entice the masses to check your movie out (Bros), it won't save you when the movie is off-putting (Amsterdam), and when you do have it and the movie is an easy sell (Ticket to Paradise), you see the financial rewards.

6 minutes ago, Eric Adam said:

It's all that stupid peacock's fault :ph34r:

In a way, yes - in that the WOM was so poor that fewer people (who didn’t already rush out for OW) were willing to pay to go see it given there was already a “free” alternative, and that even the added value of PLF was largely removed by Black Adam (TSS and Morbius at least got to keep some for second weekend)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$40K PTAs are probably what we can expect from the buzzy specialty titles going forward, I doubt we see another $100K+ in the near future as long as the LA chains that powered movies to such heights are closed (which is likely why Babylon just said "fuck it, we'll take advantage of the holiday season and go wide right away"). Don't be surprised when The Fabelmans also posts an average in that range in a few weeks too, especially when it's going to be battling with Black Panther for auditorium space even in LA/NY that same weekend (if you ask me they should've just opened it as a wide release on Thanksgiving like it will be when it expands two weeks later).

EEAAO got to 50K (in 10 theaters!) and Licorice Pizza was over 80K per theater in 4, but the latter was in 70mm exclusively at first, so the biggest auditoriums with the highest ticket prices. But yeah, even with current inflation, we are a long way from the OW averages of La La Land (176K) or American Sniper (169K).

$6.4 million still isn't bad for Ticket to Paradise considering the previews. I think it would’ve opened even better if the younger cast had more star power, but it seems like it was mostly made for the international audience, anyway...

• Like 1