Eric Lasagna

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

6 hours ago, Deja23 said:

I was prepared to mourn T’Challa and Chadwick, but I was not expecting Queen Ramonda’s death. That was like a gut punch especially with how she was in the first half. I just didn’t expect Marvel to kill off any other major characters I guess. 

RIGHT I was like "Oh she's not dead....wait, right? She's not dead, right?" I think it was the only way to force Shuri to grow.

47 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

they’re gonna have to do another time jump obviously.

I don't want that, I want to see Shuri find out what kind of Queen she is, not immediately jump to her being established and comfortable.

You probably could have taken Riri out of 90% of the scenes and it would have made next to no difference, which is a pity bc Dominique Thorne is adorable.

My one big criticism is with most of the action; The attack on the capitol was the only one I thought was interesting; The rest seemed half hearted, and I wanted more of a scene when Nakia (who I totally forgot about until her entrance, damn) rescued Shuri.

• Like 3

Sorry, but Letitia Wright is a good dramatic actress, however she doesn't have the gravitas and presence to hold the screen. They made a huge mistake with her. Not everybody is good for blockbuster movies. It takes more than acting talent, it takes a magnetism she doesn't have

Edited by Maggie

4 hours ago, Maggie said:

Sorry, but Letitia Wright is a good dramatic actress, however she doesn't have the gravitas and presence to hold the screen. They made a huge mistake with her. Not everybody is good for blockbuster movies. It takes more than acting talent, it takes a magnetism she doesn't have

Weird. I absolutely bought her performance and I'm usually hard on performances. 

Star of the movie for my money. Whereas Bassett's performance is the one that's a little overrated. Still good, just overrated based on the early reactions.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Deleted. I had no idea you sti had to use tags in the spoiler thread.

Okay just read the thread. So I didn't need spoiler tags, they're just for the end credits scene.

I'm up to speed now haha. What I had said before is that I'm glad Killmonger wasn't somehow resurrected. His appearance the way they did it was perfect.

I also agree about RiRi being sort of shoehorned in, especially because they didn't really provide any context for Ironheart. It's a little on the nose to be an Iron Man successor but not show any connection to Tony/Iron Man, like her being a total fangirl or something. If they just showed RiRi just as herself in a small easter egg kind of appearance where she's not really involved in the action then it could have totally worked while also being a classic MCU setup for the future.

• Like 1

I loved the characterization and performance of Namor. I hated how he was used from a narrative standpoint. That core conflict (wanting to kill Riri because Selina Meyer used her science project in blah blah blah, then he wants to pick a fight with everyone) was contrived to begin with and kept doubling down with more boneheaded character decisions. What should have been his real narrative thrust (his lingering resentments toward the surface world) was ignored in favor of him going Anakin Skywalker ("If you're not with me, then you're my enemy" vibes) until very late. And the potential to show the world through the eyes of a 500 year old antagonist who's watched society evolve was squandered.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

They didn’t need to kill off Angela Bassett’s character, not after what happened. If they had to, she should’ve been the new Black Panther. 

There was too much going on at once.

Okoye, Nakia and Ramonda are the stand outs for me. Coel was wasted unfortunately. Namor is the weak link. His lines and delivery made me giggle at several points, unintentionally of course. 

The CGI was troublesome and it was far too long, the middle and third acts couldn’t reach the first. 

There are some great moments and the costume design is mostly incredible, Okoye’s new costume not withstanding, that kept getting laughs from the audience lol. The mid credit scene was just lazy writing. 

Edited by Krissykins

14 hours ago, Maggie said:

She held it pretty good and owned the screen every time she was on.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I loved the characterization and performance of Namor. I hated how he was used from a narrative standpoint. That core conflict (wanting to kill Riri because Selina Meyer used her science project in blah blah blah, then he wants to pick a fight with everyone) was contrived to begin with and kept doubling down with more boneheaded character decisions. What should have been his real narrative thrust (his lingering resentments toward the surface world) was ignored in favor of him going Anakin Skywalker ("If you're not with me, then you're my enemy" vibes) until very late. And the potential to show the world through the eyes of a 500 year old antagonist who's watched society evolve was squandered.

I thought the idea of "They come after people like us when they get power" was great and true but I do agree, like how after 500 years of presumably watching out for threats, does someone come to the conclusion that killing the scientist will solve all the problems. Like the blueprints are made and in the hands of the largest military superpower in the world. Killing the messenger won't do shit.

If it was "Oh, we kept destroying the machines to find Vibranium in the water and now they're investigating around where we live, we (Talokans and Wakandans) are similar, if we don't team up, we'll fight you too.", I could understand it a little more.

But I'm willing to overlook it bc I too loved the characterization and performance.

• Like 3

Great movie! Angela was great BUT Leticia was out of this world great!!!

I still stand by my going back in time thing for young Tchalla and think it makes sense. I think it's the only way to go. You can't have a 6 year old be part of an Avengers team. Four years from now he'll be 10. Still doesn't work.

Didn't quite understand why Riri was SO sought after for death by Namor. Surely, even if she dies, someone will get a hold of her plans. That part was reaching.

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

They didn’t need to kill off Angela Bassett’s character, not after what happened. If they had to, she should’ve been the new Black Panther. 

There was too much going on at once.

Okoye, Nakia and Ramonda are the stand outs for me. Coel was wasted unfortunately. Namor is the weak link. His lines and delivery made me giggle at several points, unintentionally of course. 

The CGI was troublesome and it was far too long, the middle and third acts couldn’t reach the first. 

There are some great moments and the costume design is mostly incredible, Okoye’s new costume not withstanding, that kept getting laughs from the audience lol. The mid credit scene was just lazy writing. 

I definitely respect your opinion, but after watching the film, I almost disagree with every issue you wrote. Especially the mid credit had lazy writing and Namor.

The only thing I agree with you on is some parts of the film the CGI wasn’t great. It still didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the film.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cmbbox2390 said:

I definitely respect your opinion, but after watching the film, I almost disagree with every issue you wrote. Especially the mid credit had lazy writing and Namor.

The only thing I agree with you on is some parts of the film the CGI wasn’t great. It still didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the film.

I absolutely get it.

The actor playing Namor was wooden to me and his dialogue was clunky. I felt zero threat from him and he was… let away with it in the end anyway? The underwater effects were abysmal, I actors looked uncomfortable underwater instead of us having to believe they lived there. 

Biggest flaw was that Namor's intro was contrived as it doesn't make sense why he would want that specific scientist. In fact the motivation that he ended up switching to in the second act (that the surface world was getting close to their vibranium so he wanted Wakanda to ally with him in a preemptive strike) made a lot more sense, so I think it would've been much simpler just to...lead with that ultimatum? Ironheart could have been introduced in any number of ways. 

Other than that, very good movie. Story (other than the flaw I mentioned) was well-done, the emotions were honored well without being milked, and the performances were great. Letitia Wright was definitely the standout of the movie. Fantastic performance and I'm really excited to see Shuri take the lead in future movies. I overall liked the action as well, especially the attack on the Wakandan capital, though still not exactly top-tier in that department. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

59 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Biggest flaw was that Namor's intro was contrived as it doesn't make sense why he would want that specific scientist. In fact the motivation that he ended up switching to in the second act (that the surface world was getting close to their vibranium so he wanted Wakanda to ally with him in a preemptive strike) made a lot more sense, so I think it would've been much simpler just to...lead with that ultimatum? Ironheart could have been introduced in any number of ways. 

Other than that, very good movie. Story (other than the flaw I mentioned) was well-done, the emotions were honored well without being milked, and the performances were great. Letitia Wright was definitely the standout of the movie. Fantastic performance and I'm really excited to see Shuri take the lead in future movies. I overall liked the action as well, especially the attack on the Wakandan capital, though still not exactly top-tier in that department. 

My read on that was since Riri had invented the detector, he wanted to go straight to the source of the invention. Cut the head of the snake situation.

And I’m pretty sure from the beginning, Namor suggests to Ramonda and Shuri during his first introduction to become allies to stop invaders from stealing vibranium. He thinks Riri(the American scientist) was one of the invaders by indirectly helping them to find it.

Edited by cmbbox2390

11 minutes ago, cmbbox2390 said:

My read on that was since Riri had invented the detector, he wanted to go straight to the source of the invention. Cut the head of the snake situation.

And I’m pretty sure from the beginning, Namor suggests to Ramonda and Shuri during his first introduction to become allies to stop invaders from stealing vibranium. He thinks Riri(the American scientist) was one of the invaders by indirectly helping them to find it.

I still don’t quite understand how the technology she developed ended up in the hands of the CIA… it was for a university project? So her professor is a CIA asset? Whatever they said, it was hilariously brushed over. And of course, Namor had no interest in actually figuring out what was up. Just so contrived.

• Like 1

After rewatching the movie I am settling on grading the movie 4/5. It loses a star for the Martin Freeman scenes. I feel like he is only in the movie so it would have a white actor in the cast. Namor and Shuri’s scenes are the stand out of the movie next to Angela Basset’s breath taking monologues. I applaud Ryan for not going the obvious route and having Shuri and Namor as romantic rivals but who knows in a sequel? MBJ was amazing and both times the crowd gasped when he showed up. Surprised I didn’t see anyone mention him here I think. Mbaku got a great reaction every time he was on screen but in a lesser director he would end up as a buffoon stereotype. Kudos to Ryan for giving him a substantive scene too. The moment when Shuri comes down in the suit is so triumphant. Btw the music in this movie is great. Both the score and the songs in the film when Shuri is working in her lab. I need the song that plays when they swim into Talokan. I’m just really impressed with this movie and might even go see it again in theaters next week maybe.  

i think I might put Namor in a top 3 villains with Thanos and Killmonger. 

25 minutes ago, cmbbox2390 said:

For all Namor knew, they could have already made many copies of the detector, so it doesn't make sense why the individual scientist would matter that much.