Eric Duncan

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

5 hours ago, jedijake said:

My wife said that Shuri said the new suit was designed with self-healing powers. I missed that. Did she say that?

This is one of my gripes with not just this movie but the MCU in general:

Everything is so convenient. Like, now you can synthesize the divine heart shaped herb and your suit will automatically heal you so you don't have to worry about ever getting hurt. This is on top of the already convenient concept of vibranium (which I honestly never minded, there's a place for some things like this in the world of the MCU).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jedijake said:

How did Shuri survive being impaled straight through her body without any real damage? I was confused by that.

It impaled her chakra and she went into The Avatar State.

(Seriously, it took me a few days to realize that final fight reminded me of the end of The Last Airbender bOok 3)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Verrows said:

This is one of my gripes with not just this movie but the MCU in general:

Everything is so convenient. Like, now you can synthesize the divine heart shaped herb and your suit will automatically heal you so you don't have to worry about ever getting hurt. This is on top of the already convenient concept of vibranium (which I honestly never minded, there's a place for some things like this in the world of the MCU).

I mean iron man gut stabbed in the gut by thanos and was fine with some nano tech.

So Shuri using wakandan tech would make sense.

Like it could be the tech like prevents masisve blood loss and she was fighting in a weakend state but you still have to recover after?

Like if we get stab you could still fight me, but you may die from bloodloss etc. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Verrows said:

She definitely is, but I found it odd there was zero context given for it. Usually when I new character takes either the mantle directly or replaces a character there is some context for why. I figured they'd make a RiRi a massive Tony Stark fangirl or something. Instead she's just flying around in Iron Man-like suits like it's a novel thing. It's pretty on the nose.

I am sure that the Ironheart series will deal with the Tony Stark simliaraites (Teen Age Genius, etc). Would not be surprised if she runs into Rhody/War Machine in the series.

She was basically one member of a ensemble cast in this movie and had limited screen time.. We wlll find out a lot more about her in the Ironheart series.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Verrows said:

It's probably because people associate mutants with the X-Men. Namor and Ms. Marvel being mutants in the MCU didn't provoke anything in me because it feels a little forced and "not right".

Hint at any classic mutant characters and that will get a reaction.

I think the idea is to lay the groundwork fo rthe coming of the X men. Establish there are mutants in the MCU first then spring the big X men names.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

It impaled her chakra and she went into The Avatar State.

(Seriously, it took me a few days to realize that final fight reminded me of the end of The Last Airbender bOok 3)

Or maybe it missed any vital organs, though still has wold have lost a lot of blood.

In BTVS, Cordelia CHase got impaled on a metal rod but survived because no vital organs were piereced.

The Killmonger cameo was a nice reveal. I had a feeling Ryan Coolger would find a way to sneak him into the movie, but the way the film presented it was pretty effective. 

This film continues the precedent set by the first film of feeling generally disconnected from the larger narrative of the MCU, which I’m fine with. It helps these films stand on their own far better than the typical Marvel film. I also think it reinforces my belief that Marvel should find someone other than Coogler for Secret Wars. I don’t think something like that would be his style. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The Killmonger cameo was a nice reveal. I had a feeling Ryan Coolger would find a way to sneak him into the movie, but the way the film presented it was pretty effective. 

This film continues the precedent set by the first film of feeling generally disconnected from the larger narrative of the MCU, which I’m fine with. It helps these films stand on their own far better than the typical Marvel film. I also think it reinforces my belief that Marvel should find someone other than Coogler for Secret Wars. I don’t think something like that would be his style. 

I completely agree. I just don't know who should be entrusted with the task. I know Marvel wants someone from in house but I don't know. I wish they had someone like Tony Gilroy. With Rogue One and Andor he made a slice of Star Wars that mature audiences can take seriously. Quality, quality stuff.

All I know is they need someone, or a duo, with some actual real talent to pull this off if the Russo's aren't going to do it. Also they really need a whole new tier of writer. Writing is the biggest area where the MCU has been lacking and they'll need a great one (or several) for an event like Secret Wars.

They made the Killmonger scene work perfectly with Leticia's character arc. I thought they'd make him appear because Shuri made the herb artificially. That ended up being part of it, but it was deeper than that. He represented a darker side of Shuri's feelings. It was very artistic and story-logical to have him there and, being that they could not have Chadwick, having KM caused Shuri to look to her feelings of anger and revenge. I thought it was beautifully dark the way they showed that scene. Kudos once again to Coogler.

The one thing that made this movie different than the first was how non-linear it was. The first movie, and Shang-Chi and other MCU movies that got very high critic scores, were very linear. There was a clear plot line. This one was deeper and had a web-like plot. I really like both, but it is harder to nail it with a web-like storyline. Coogler and his writers nailed it though and he's nailed with with both approaches. Sequels really NEED that multi-layered story.

The more I think about the film, the more I love it and appreciate it.

They need to get Michael Ward to play an aged up T'challa Jr.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Verrows said:

I completely agree. I just don't know who should be entrusted with the task. I know Marvel wants someone from in house but I don't know. I wish they had someone like Tony Gilroy. With Rogue One and Andor he made a slice of Star Wars that mature audiences can take seriously. Quality, quality stuff.

All I know is they need someone, or a duo, with some actual real talent to pull this off if the Russo's aren't going to do it. Also they really need a whole new tier of writer. Writing is the biggest area where the MCU has been lacking and they'll need a great one (or several) for an event like Secret Wars.

Personally, I want Coogler to do it.

But if not, what about Joseph Kosinski?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Personally, I want Coogler to do it.

But if not, what about Joseph Kosinski?

Great choice! Would he do it though?

I know I said I'm not a fan of the in house route but I am curious to see how Matt Shakman handles F4.

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

I don't think that needs to be taken fully literally, could easily just be some type of vision/hallucination or anything else. 

You can say that about the whole Ancestral Plane bit. And I think that was a deliberate choice by Cooger.

And Shuri has always been very skeptical about the Wakandan religion.

Shuri killed it this film . I didn't care for her at all and was skeptical about her being BP but boy does she pull it off. Everything around her in this movie was top notch for the most part. Ending with her was emotional. Her arc was well done.

Surprised no one has mentioned the marvel studios opening credit

Which was great and just fits the tone of the film and a good tribute to Chadwick.

Angela Bassett was good but found her performance a little overrated. That scene with okoye was great but it was the only standout scene with her ,the rest of the film it was a typical well acted Angela Bassett role.

Her death didn't work for me . It was just there as a moment for shuri to grow. Wanted more of her in the film ,her death scene  felt unearned. Something was off about that scene for me, could have been done better.

Namor intro was great but the whole plot of killing riri felt flimsy and wouldn't solve the issue at all and then jumps to kill them all was jarring.

When we were getting his history and culture,he was great but after that the movie doesn't know what to do with him ,he becomes generic.

Nakia plot of rescuing shuri was a little to super easy barely an inconvenience for me. Whole section is contrived and provides central catlyst for namor attacking wakanda. Meh

writing from coogler their.

Shuri 's rescue is where cracks start to appear in the script for me . If it wasn't for the performances it would have fallen apart .

Sure cia plot was dragging the film but the script was still solid until that point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

You can say that about the whole Ancestral Plane bit. And I think that was a deliberate choice by Cooger.

And Shuri has always been very skeptical about the Wakandan religion.

I compare it to Kylo seeing Han. They couldn't show Leia (although they COULD have shown leia later by using "marry poppins" footage to show her reaching out to her son after dying). Han was thrown in there because Carrie had passed. So they took the opportunity to have Harrison make a cameo and come full circle from Ben's first scene with his father. In this, the could not show Chadwick, so they brought in MBJ and did so in a way that REALLY tapped into Shuri's inner conflict. I thought it worked perfectly. Then, they showed her mother who represented the opposite-show them who YOU are inside. Once again, Coogler nailed it perfectly.

I look forward to seeing it again to find things I missed the first time. Unfortunately, I will need to wait for D+ for a second viewing, but that's okay.

Edited by jedijake

For those of us who were confused about who rules Wakanda at the end of the movie (SPOILERS start at about 2:09);

Spoiler

M'Baku is the King. So Shuri is the BP (bc the two titles aren't intertwined). Ok, interesting place for them to go and maybe in 3 we can see him and Namor have more than a 2 word conversation.

or fight forreal, fingers crossed