Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

I mean, I guess literally at least two people will. But…

Nah. People are too precious with their movie rankings when it comes to Star Wars. It hits a different nerve than even the Marvel films. It’s a lot more about nostalgia and growing up with them. I fully predict hardcore Rey Skywalker fans maybe even more annoying than Luke fans in the next 10 to 20 years.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There were a lot of families at my show on Saturday evening. Anecdotal but still.

There was a 4-year-old at my screening who through all three hours intermittently said "Uh-Oh!" and "Blue!" and "Whale!". Very observant analysis.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

And yet still not as irredeemable as Anakin the toddler butcher.  You can blow up a planet with billions on it but slaughtering little kids one on one is just a really bad look.   Makes it too hard to think of Darth Vader as cool ever again - that and the terrible acting.

Maybe it looks a bit different sentimentally but it doesn't seem like anything different to me. There would've been billions of kids on Alderaan. 

• Like 1

OS numbers up 7M despite the world cup

Other than China and Japan, astonishing opening, i feel this is definitely going to dominate for weeks overseas and ended up with a huge total. 

Now if the WW gross will ended up around NWH or around 1.7B will depend of how good legs will be on US. 

Excited by this week (even if i think the most important is next week).

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Maybe it looks a bit different sentimentally but it doesn't seem like anything different to me. There would've been billions of kids on Alderaan. 

Twelve toddlers murdered is a tragedy. 12 million is a statistic.

• Like 1

Honest opinion that my fellow americans on this forum will probably disagree with: Star Wars is not very good. It only has 1 really great movie that is The Empire Strikes Back and a few good movies (A New Hope, Revenge of The Siths and Rogue One ?). But the series as a whole is not good and have a decent number of really bad movies.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

OT is pretty solid ,it falters towards the end

Overall PT has significant issues but  ends on high enough note.

ST was devoid of creativity and basically undermines everything that came before it.  

On it's own ,this trilogy as a whole is meh and  uneven but once in the context of the whole saga it's a mess.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Twelve toddlers murdered is a tragedy. 12 million is a statistic.

FWIW, my personal variation on this quote has long been

A million deaths is a statistic. One death is a significantly happier statistic.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

And that’s totally fine. I fully expect people to say that The Rise of Skywalker is their favorite Star Wars film 20 years from now. Hell growing up, Return of the Jedi was hands down my favorite Star Wars because it came at the right time for me, and I used to hate The Empire Strikes Back lol. Today TESB is hands down my favorite, with TLJ following.

Return of the Jedi has very good ending and vadar Luke stuff are great but then there is the rest of the movie and we'll.... . This is where goerge starts to run out of ideas . 

TLJ needed to be extended over 2 movies to flesh the A plot more and explore ideas more .  B plot to the movie was terrible. The movie was a zig zag for me as it progressed liked some moments and hated some then it completely implodes in the final 40 mins or so and basically becomes a messy and generic empire/rotj ripoff . Script was just not good and needed additional redrafts .

ESB is great .

4 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

A similar domestic drop puts it right at $18M

no comparsion,Avatar's frist monday is way higher than it real OD(start in Wed afternoon)and just bit lower than 2nd day in HongKong,to do that DOM need some 25-30m MON

Edited by Bruce

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

no comparsion,Avatar's frist monday is way higher than it real OD(start in Wed afternoon)and just bit lower than 2nd day,it's at least TGM level run

Sunday to Monday drop % is a relatively fair comparison no matter the other numbers, assuming there’s no holiday in play. 

• Like 2