Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

Cameron has a huge ego problem. That's not news obviously. I can sort of understand it as well given the success he had. I don't like to nitpick plot holes and mistakes in films, because I tend to focus on the entertainment and the good stuff. Hey, even TDK has flaws. However, the level of bad writing, laziness and inconsistencies that are present in WAY OF WATER is just mind-blowing. I get why some folks get defensive pointing out the incredible visual experience it offers in 3D IMAX, but that's not all when it comes to filmmaking. Its like having an MVP player in a bad basketball team where the other 4 can't shoot, rebound or defend. Maybe you could have won like that a decade ago. Not anymore.

• Like 4

People using an 16.5m instead of 17.5m monday in the US to doom-project their own biases and experiences with the movie into the GA reception being anything close to "23 MCU movies have more solid of a story than Avatar 2" and "script is embarrassing, written by a 2-year old, so the experience can't be saved in 2D" is a bit too much. Especially when it seems influenced in big part by their personal opinion on Cameron and by being "totally not mad" about what probably was clickbait headlines and misreadings of "Cameron HATES on the MCU" . Seems more annoying  than the "delusional" Cameron fans at this point

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

People using an 16.5m instead of 17.5m monday in the US to doom-project their own biases and experiences with the movie into the GA reception being anything close to "23 MCU movies have more solid of a story than Avatar 2" and "script is embarrassing, written by a 2-year old, so the experience can't be saved in 2D" is a bit too much. Especially when it seems influenced in part by being "totally not mad" about what probably was clickbait headlines and misreadings of "Cameron HATES on the MCU" . Seems more annoying than the "delusional" Cameron fans at this point

Only one guy said that. No need to exaggerate 

1 minute ago, Gkalaitza said:

People using an 16.5m instead of 17.5m monday in the US to doom-project their own biases and experiences with the movie into the GA reception being anything close to "23 MCU movies have more solid of a story than Avatar 2" and "script is embarrassing, written by a 2-year old, so the experience can't be saved in 2D" is a bit too much. Especially when it seems influenced in part by being "totally not mad" about what probably was clickbait headlines and misreadings of "Cameron HATES on the MCU" . Seems more annoying than the "delusional" Cameron fans at this point

Both are annoying, I mean we are on a movie forum, this is just part of the experience of it all. What fun we could have if we all just be reasonable and speak cold hard truth? As long as it's not name calling, I find it harmless. In the end, it's none of our business how much money they can make.

• Like 1

I mean, it's probably true that GA prefers story of first 23 MCU movies to A2. And they've probbaly got 10 individual ones that I better. But I can't really say more because i haven't even see a2 and it doesn't seem very relevant either way.

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Only one guy said that. No need to exaggerate 

I wrote this comment in response to the 2-3 comments i saw back to back along those lines and i quoted the specific takes. "People" in this context doesnt mean "most people on this thread" so im not trying to mislead anyone or exaggerate. Anyone can see what comments im refering to just before my own .

20 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Kind of nonsense marvel fans say amuse me.

There won't be 10 Marvel movies that you could name over Avatar 2.

And what did that 23 movies do exactly, box office Crown is still with Cameron.

Iron Man, Iron Man 3, Ragnarok, The Winter Solider, Civil War, Endgame, Homecoming, No Way Home, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther.

Those 23 movies made the MCU the most profitable franchise ever. Consistent money earners, a merchandising powerhouse, and something that has been able to make Disney+ viable. I say this as someone who isn't exactly a fan of most of their output.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

I mean, it's probably true that GA prefers story of first 23 MCU movies to A2. And they've probbaly got 10 individual ones that I better. But I can't really say more because i haven't even see a2 and it doesn't seem very relevant either way.

The overall story and characters of the MCU being seen in their entirety (and being able to remember and pick the great parts) compared to the Avatar movies ? Sure. But i dont see any reason to believe that a noticably higher % of the GA thought the writting/strory was great coming out of the theater after seeing most individual MCU movies compared to Avatar 2. And i dont see any reason for people to claim that as anything close to a fact other than them disliking the movie (or even Cameron) and gleefuly projecting the reason for any underperformance being that the GA agrees with them about the writting/story

Edited by Gkalaitza

The movie I watched had a tremendously well written family of characters that I thought JC did a remarkable job of us getting to know and care about within everything else the film had to do. 

not going to argue that the film borrows well worn tropes from tons of other films, but so did the last one. So what? I was so surprised at how strong the Sully kids were in it. 

The fact that somehow the film got solid/strong reception just about everywhere yet we are still somehow arguing over reception because some people need that confirmation bias that if someone hates a film everyone hated it is such a BOT moment

It'd be the equivalent of me going on a rant about how endgame was secretly poorly received because I didn't like it, yet you don't see me do that because it would be dumb as fuck

Why did an MCU v A2 argument even start to begin with?

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

Dude, if you can't accept facts, that's sad. It's not getting great reception, that's crystal clear. PLF shows, yes, WoM is amazing, but there are standard shows where reaction is obviously mixed. The MCU arguments started by Avatar folks.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The fact that somehow the film got solid/strong reception just about everywhere yet we are still somehow arguing over reception because some people need that confirmation bias that if someone hates a film everyone hated it is such a BOT moment

It'd be the equivalent of me going on a rant about how endgame was secretly poorly received because I didn't like it, yet you don't see me do that because it would be dumb as fuck

Why did an MCU v A2 argument even start to begin with?

Exactly. 

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Dude, if you can't accept facts, that's sad. It's not getting great reception, that's crystal clear. PLF shows, yes, WoM is amazing, but there are standard shows where reaction is obviously mixed.

I take it you have evidence backing up this point which you will have no issue whatsoever putting forward

The MCU arguments started by Avatar folks.

The first mention of the MCU in the thread is Charlie using it to trash A2.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1