Eric Furiosa

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

“I saw the first one when it was out, and that’s going back some time. And the second Avatar, the one that’s coming out, I shot I think four years ago,” she said on the ABC talk show. “And then I’ve been busy doing stuff and somebody mentioned Avatar and I thought, ‘Oh, I guess it came out and didn’t do very well.’ Because I hadn’t heard anything. I thought, ‘Oh, well it happens!'”

Falco continued, “And then someone recently said, ‘Oh, Avatar is coming out!’ I said, ‘It hasn’t come out yet?!'”

LMAO

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Gonna be a boring run if this movie pretty much follows Rogue One’s daily grosses. But it’s early. Still time to develop strong legs. 

Yep. Time for some patience, especially when its drop this weekend will be impacted by a subdued Saturday (movie theaters are starting their last shows for everything by 7:30 at the latest due to Christmas Eve).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yep. Time for some patience, especially when its drop this weekend will be impacted by a subdued Saturday (movie theaters are starting their last shows for everything by 7:30 at the latest due to Christmas Eve).

7:30 seems way too late considering the whole avatar package might take 4 hours 

would guess 6 at the latest

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Idk while the second weekend'll be subdued we'll be able to tell the general projection of things by then. We can only hold off for so long.

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

7:30 seems way too late considering the whole avatar package might take 4 hours 

would guess 6 at the latest

Plenty of theaters are starting it and Babylon (which is just as long as Avatar) at around 7 Saturday around me. Gotta get in those Saturday evening shows since the night will be nonexistent.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Idk while the second weekend'll be subdued we'll be able to tell the general projection of things by then. We can only hold off for so long.

no harm in waiting till the 26th

that'll be the make or break day

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 2

Just now, Mulder said:

Rogue One is a pretty good comparison point. Exact same release date and similar daily grosses from Saturday to Monday. If it continues tracking pretty similar to Rogue One by end of 2nd weekend, I think we at least know it’s not going to pull a Titanic or Avatar 2009 and break the domestic record.

With this being a Cameron movie, I don’t bet against him pulling off the unthinkable. But we’ll have a decent idea after the 2nd Sunday of where it’s going. 

• Like 3

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Rogue One is a pretty good comparison point. Exact same release date and similar daily grosses from Saturday to Monday. If it continues tracking pretty similar to Rogue One by end of 2nd weekend, I think we at least know it’s not going to pull a Titanic or Avatar 2009 and break the domestic record.

With this being a Cameron movie, I don’t bet against him pulling off the unthinkable. But we’ll have a decent idea after the 2nd Sunday of where it’s going. 

Yeah I agree that 2nd Sunday'll be the defining day.

• Like 1

FWIW I'm close to securing tickets to see I Wanna Dance with Somebody on Christmas Day and the Avatar shows for the afternoon are already filling up like crazy. Whatever the weekdays for the rest of this week look like that's destined to be a really massive day for it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW I'm close to securing tickets to see I Wanna Dance with Somebody on Christmas Day and the Avatar shows for the afternoon are already filling up like crazy. Whatever the weekdays for the rest of this week look like that's destined to be a really massive day for it.

All screens or just the premium/3D?

Looking at the detailed box office of China, now I'm not sure how covid is the definitive reason why Avatar 2 is doing poorly.

People are gathering around in the premium screens, they're packed, this is the opposite of avoiding a crowd because of covid. Just look at the IMAX screen and the normal 3D screen that comes just before or after it, if people really are afraid of covid that much, they could easily pick those 3D screens where there is basically no one in them.

I'm not dismissing the impact of covid has, but I think there is more nuance as to why Avatar 2 is doing bad there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Looking at the detailed box office of China, now I'm not sure how covid is the definitive reason why Avatar 2 is doing poorly.

People are gathering around in the premium screens, they're packed, this is the opposite of avoiding a crowd because of covid. Just look at the IMAX screen and the normal 3D screen that comes just before or after it, if people really are afraid of covid that much, they could easily pick those 3D screens where there is basically no one in them.

I'm not dismissing the impact of covid has, but I think there is more nuance as to why Avatar 2 is doing bad there.

The folks going to a movie theater are probably less concerned about COVID in general. If someone is truly worried about it, they won’t show up to a movie theater at all.