Eric Loves Rey

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

27 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Something else I haven't seen mentioned much and I have no data to back this up, but have the amount of individual IMAX locations decreased a lot? I know mine shut down back in 2015 and the screen was moved to the AMC in the same location and I'm curious if that happened elsewhere. Reason I ask is that might hurt legs a lot since I know a lot of Avatar's late legs came from those individual IMAX locations keeping it around.

There are not fewer IMAX screens in 2022 than late 2009 or early 2010. The recent Black Panther sequel played on 405 IMAX screens in the domestic market. Avatar 2009 played on about 180 IMAX screens in the domestic market. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

And I feel like the very idea that people will just ‘not see it’ on anything but imax or plf sort of ridiculous. Literally 95% of the moviegoing people likely never went to an IMAX neither they care so much to go out of their way for it. I did watch in Brazil’s half full ‘IMAX’ screen but it’s not like people are waiting for them. The idea is nerdy as fuck. I can’t be convinced regular people would care for that.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

People really overpredicted Avatar 2 for some reason and I don’t get it. The first one was a VFX movie and wowed people because of its visuals and immersion, not its story and characters. In 2022 that stuff doesn’t stand out as much as it did in 2009

Ant-Man objectively has a bigger cultural impact than Avatar 

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

People really overpredicted Avatar 2 for some reason and I don’t get it. The first one was a VFX movie and wowed people because of its visuals and immersion, not its story and characters. In 2022 that stuff doesn’t stand out as much as it did in 2009

I do think the length and the relatively unfocused/meandering story this time around is gonna hurt its legs.  You can say what you want about Avatar 1's story(lord knows I have) but it was the perfect VFX vehicle with a fish out of water lead character kinda like NEO which definitely had a lot to do with its legs.

Edited by Ozymandias

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

And I feel like the very idea that people will just ‘not see it’ on anything but imax or plf sort of ridiculous. Literally 95% of the moviegoing people likely never went to an IMAX neither they care so much to go out of their way for it. I did watch in Brazil’s half full ‘IMAX’ screen but it’s not like people are waiting for them. The idea is nerdy as fuck. I can’t be convinced regular people would care for that.

It matches pretty wlle with what we are seeing on the more trackable markets. KR has stupid high hella spread out PS into terrible walkups which does indicate people are actually in that "I want the best screen and seats I can get" mode. Japan is basically selling next to nothing out of premiums.

But since walkups are terrible, it's hard to have great days. Mostly just solid and consistent for now.

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

It matches pretty wlle with what we are seeing on the more trackable markets. KR has stupid high hella spread out PS into terrible walkups which does indicate people are actually in that "I want the best screen and seats I can get" mode. Japan is basically selling next to nothing out of premiums.

But since walkups are terrible, it's hard to have great days. Mostly just solid and consistent for now.

Idk. This doesn’t seem actually sustainable. And also seem very hardcore moviegoing based. 

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Idk. This doesn’t seem actually sustainable. And also seem very hardcore moviegoing based. 

Hard to tell right now. Could be walkups get better as demand for biggest screens fizzles out. Could be it just goes like this the whole run. Could be it just dies suddenly at some point.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

"Oh no Lois we can’t watch avatar at this screen, we need to travel 150 miles so we can watch it in IMAX" is the sort of talk I imagine only hardcore nerds like us would be able to prefer.

No, but there is something to the idea that it was marketed as a PLF/3D speciality

Instead of premium formats being something extra you could pay for/upgrade to, those shows became the base level and that the standard 2D shows were somehow lesser

• Like 4

Just now, M37 said:

No, but there is something to the idea that it was marketed as a PLF/3D speciality

Instead of premium formats being something extra you could pay for/upgrade to, those shows became the base level and that the standard 2D shows were somehow lesser

Am I the only one seeing how this can bite this film incredibly hard in the end? 

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Am I the only one seeing how this can bite this film incredibly hard in the end? 

Most of us see it now and that's why some predictions are now below $500M DOM which would have been unthinkable a month ago. @M37 gets credit though for beating the drum from the jump. He's our canary in the proverbial coal mine. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

No, @Porthos (among others) was pointing out very early on how this upscaling sales push could backfire 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, XXR 4x OW or Bust said:

Most of us see it now and that's why some predictions are now below $500M DOM which would have been unthinkable a month ago. @M37 gets credit though for beating the drum from the jump. He's our canary in the proverbial coal mine. 

Ummm, hello - he had a sidekick right from the beginning:)...who always had faith in him and told him to keep that faith.

Which is exactly what a good sidekick does, b/c they sure don't fight the big fights:)...

• Thanks 1