Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I take it you have evidence backing up this point which you will have no issue whatsoever putting forward

The first mention of the MCU in the thread is Charlie using it to trash A2.

I have UK data, but I'm not at liberty to share. The reaction for PLF screens are amazing, it will continue to fill out those seats for a month. Folks, however not so keen on 2D. You'll see evidence in its legs.

Charlie and in fact every MCU fan has the right to trash A2 as Cameron started the dig.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

18 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Dude, if you can't accept facts, that's sad. It's not getting great reception, that's crystal clear. PLF shows, yes, WoM is amazing, but there are standard shows where reaction is obviously mixed. 

What are those facts that show that the audience reception and WoM in standard shows is noticably worse than PLF shows ?. And even if it is worse to some degree (which isnt surprising) , what are those facts that i should accept which show that the GA reception is anything close to mediocre in those showings instead of very good ? And even more so that the reception regarding story/writting is mediocre let alone anything remotely close to your own? 

You cant bring up "you have to accept the facts" and all you give me is your vibes or 2d occupancy numbers in the most underperforming market in Europe (unless you have audience surveys and cinemascores comparing plf and 2d screenings) . Or are the "facts" that show all that the fact that it wont to 2 billion dollars worldwide (with China being as it is) and that Monday came in 500k less than what would be considered "solid" 

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I definitely feel like they are pushing us back to those days when 2D showings were given crappy attention. I still remember films like the first Avengers movie in 2012 being shown on tiny 2D screens, while 3D got the biggest screens. It sucks for the folks like myself who want to see the movie on the biggest 2D screen possible.

My local Regal theater (brand new place) seems to have Avatar on some pretty small 2D screens. I saw Knives Out sequel there very recently and they had it on a much bigger screen in 2D. It was a very nice, big ass screen with a ton of seats in the auditorium. I assume this particular screen is only showing Avatar in 3D, based on the fact all the Avatar 2D showings have a much smaller number of total seats compared to that Knives Out auditorium. 

Yeah. Same. I'd have much rather seen A2 in Dolby 2D than the Dolby 3D I saw it in. Didn't have an option. I don't like the effect 3D has in that makes the giant screen somewhat smaller but pop out like a pop up book but obviously far more detailed. I prefer the giant the screen without the 3D effect. It actually makes it more difficult to become immersed as the 3D, while absolutely magnificent for A2 when compared against other 3D movies I've seen (was around in '09 during that bullshit post A1 fad so A LOT of them unfortunately) but actually takes me out of the movie more than pulls me in. Dolby or IMAX sans 3D I find far more immersive, especially for films shot in IMAX with the IMAX cameras.

• Like 1

Just now, The Dark Alfred said:

I have UK data, but I'm not at liberty to share. The reaction for PLF screens are amazing, it will continue to fill out those seats for a month. Folks, howevern not so keen on 2D. You'll see evidence in its legs.

AKA: trust me bro I suppose.

Charlie and in fact every MCU fan has the right to trash A2 as Cameron started the dig.

I haven't seen (nor do I care to see) the interview where he even does that (if it is even true), but even if he did, it is a rather petty way to live to hold onto comments from years ago of someone not liking your toy and starting shit over them. Grow up and move on.

• Like 1

My consensus about A2 is that it's a great theater experience, but I don't think it's a great film, just an average film with a really long straw. Pointless showcase of CGI, boring character tropes that didn't actually excuse well enough for me to care. Almost bad score.

The perfect counter example of A2 I can think of is Arcane. It needs worldbuilding just like A2 but it was done so by pushing multiple storylines. Its characters are classic tropes but they're done well, each and every decision from these characters matters and have understandable reasons and consequences, not only because of their character flaws but also their immediate interaction with the world itself (something A2 doesn't do well, it relies inner character flaws to push the story forward too much). Let's not talk about the disappointing score A2 has compares to Arcane.

Avatar 2 is a perfect experience, it has great wom because of it, but I don't think anyone can convince me it is a great film. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Iron Man, Iron Man 3, Ragnarok, The Winter Solider, Civil War, Endgame, Homecoming, No Way Home, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther.

Those 23 movies made the MCU the most profitable franchise ever. Consistent money earners, a merchandising powerhouse, and something that has been able to make Disney+ viable. I say this as someone who isn't exactly a fan of most of their output.

Congratulations on ending your own argument by putting Iron Man 3 there. 

You can put forth arguments for 3 Avengers movies, 1 each from CA, Thor, IM, GOTG and it doesn't makes 10.

Also we're seeing the so called quality output since Endgame.

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

ROGUE ONE is the best among the recent SW movies.

It would have been a good film if it had bothered to write its main character. it's like she went through a dozen rewrites and ended up as a nothing-burger.

R1's more interesting as a proof of concept for all the tv shows, which seemed to follow its look and tone much more than the other films.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Anyways all this doom posting will be even better when it have a 2nd weekend that will be affected by Christmas.

At the end of the day everyone is going shocked pikachu face when this so called average movie will end up as biggest grossing movie of 2022.

I think the thread's been pretty even-handed. The trouble is the more, ah, passionate Cameron loonies bugger off when numbers aren't great so there's no schadenfreude to be had.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Anyways all this doom posting will be even better when it have a 2nd weekend that will be affected by Christmas.

At the end of the day everyone is going shocked pikachu face when this so called average movie will end up as biggest grossing movie of 2022.

Are you coming from the future? Let people doom posting when they see a bad number, at least it's based on numbers. What you said could be true but at least wait until you have a number, then you can hype posting all you like.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The first mention of the MCU in the thread is Charlie using it to trash A2.

not trashing A2, which tbh I would do just not in a mood.

I was countering the usual statement made that EG was able to do what it did because it took them 23 movies.

when in reality its a huge feat to deliver those 23 individual movies, A) keeping their own quality up B.) maintaining the big picture universe quality and storyline.

I think story wise A2 is pathetic, doesn't do enough to build universe, most of the time is just a rehash of first one with update visuals.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think the thread's been pretty even-handed. The trouble is the Cameron loonies bugger off when numbers aren't great so there's no schadenfreude to be had.

I don't know why people leave when certain movies don't work as well as they could've.

I mean Jurassic World Dominion tanked critically and tanked at opening weekend, i was disappointed but i stuck through and at the end of the day got the bare minimum of 1 Billion milestone. Not something to celebrate, but satisfactory considering the state of movies in 2022.

Avatar 2 is still most probably going to have the 2022 crown, and imagine being fan of King Cameron and running away.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Cameron has a huge ego problem. That's not news obviously. I can sort of understand it as well given the success he had. I don't like to nitpick plot holes and mistakes in films, because I tend to focus on the entertainment and the good stuff. Hey, even TDK has flaws. However, the level of bad writing, laziness and inconsistencies that are present in WAY OF WATER is just mind-blowing. I get why some folks get defensive pointing out the incredible visual experience it offers in 3D IMAX, but that's not all when it comes to filmmaking. Its like having an MVP player in a bad basketball team where the other 4 can't shoot, rebound or defend. Maybe you could have won like that a decade ago. Not anymore.

I will actually say I feel like his comments negatively affected interest in the film. I remember during Top Gun's press tour the focus was on hying up Cruise's long awaited return and the cool stunts. The media attention felt hype. Whereas with A2 I couldn't go a day on my news feed without seeing some sort of arrogant comment from Cameron. That doesn't make people want to go see a film, in fact I have friends who said those articles made them actively lose interest in seeing it

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

not trashing A2, which tbh I would do just not in a mood.

I was countering the usual statement made that EG was able to do what it did because it took them 23 movies.

when in reality its a huge feat to deliver those 23 individual movies, A) keeping their own quality up B.) maintaining the big picture universe quality and storyline.

I think story wise A2 is pathetic, doesn't do enough to build universe, most of the time is just a rehash of first one with update visuals.

What MCU did from Iron Man to Endgame is one if the greatest overall story ever told in cinematic history.

But saying that all 23 movies in Infinity Saga were solid is pushing it lol. What MCU did well was deliver good content time to time so that it hide the wrak one's, even public ignored them and focused on the larger story.

You saying Cameron is not being able to deliver 2nd solid Avatar is senseless if you consider likes of Hulk, IM2, CM, IM3, TDW solid.

It it easily better than more than half of MCU content of Infinity Saga so no, you saying Avatar 2 isn't solid while you say those movies as solid isn't valid argument.