Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

Just now, Dragoncaine said:

Never thought I'd say this, but it feels like Avatar 2 dropped at one of the worst times imaginable lmao

Preeeeeeety sure I can think of a worse year it could have been scheduled to be released.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, AJG said:

That was in 2009.

Before streaming, before Game Pass, before widespread smartphone adoption, before cheap as fuck 65 inch 4K televisions. Im not getting a cold over a movie in 2022.

Kind of feels like Last Jedi. Sequel to the biggest domestic movie ever. Perfect release date. But not able to recapture the magic of the earlier movie’s box office run. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Preeeeeeety sure I can think of a worse year it could have been scheduled to be released.

One of the *unexpectedly* worst times lol. Massive national blizzard followed by Christmas Eve and Day eating into weekend grosses, in tandem with arguably the largest COVID panic in China yet, is unexpectedly brutal. Obviously 2020 is on a whole other level.

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

One of the *unexpectedly* worst times lol. Massive national blizzard followed by Christmas Eve and Day eating into weekend grosses, in tandem with arguably the largest COVID panic in China yet, is unexpectedly brutal. Obviously 2020 is on a whole other level.

Wasn't Shazam moved away though? I mean there is not a lot of competition and its still not doing well.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Even with cold weather, it’s still a better release date than other times of year. 

You are right. I don’t know about the TLJ comparison, but I do agree that in theory, it’s a perfect release date for a major blockbuster. In fact, it should be a more coveted date for other blockbuster films. What No Way Home did last year was absolutely insane. The particular circumstances of Avatar 2 being a sequel of a film released 13 years ago and the bad weather doesn’t change the fact that in theory, the thinking behind the release date was sound. 

Just now, Mojoguy said:

If people can't see A2 this week, they'll see it next week. Lower numbers the next few days doesn't mean it is doomed.

Exactly. If people want to see it, they will check it out. Weather is going to be warmer next week and many people will be on vacation from their job or school. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Exactly. If people want to see it, they will check it out. Weather is going to be warmer next week and many people will be on vacation from their job or school. 

While I am inclined to believe that it will bounce back in the coming weeks, I'ma enjoy the meltdowns while they last

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You are right. I don’t know about the TLJ comparison, but I do agree that in theory, it’s a perfect release date for a major blockbuster. In fact, it should be a more coveted date for other blockbuster films. What No Way Home did last year was absolutely insane. The particular circumstances of Avatar 2 being a sequel of a film released 13 years ago and the bad weather doesn’t change the fact that in theory, the thinking behind the release date was sound. 

I just remember with TLJ, everyone hoped the later Holiday calendar would help. But it really didn’t matter. The WOM wasn’t strong enough to take full advantage. Still very early with Avatar 2, but I don’t think the Monday number was that great of a sign. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

ok, so what 2023 movie do you think is going to have the best soundtrack? (not counting Mario since that's basically cheating)

My 3 Favourites:

01. Dune Part Two - first Dune soundtrack was awesome, Hans Zimmer i trust

02. Indiana Jones 5 - the last ever John Williams soundtrack and i think he will deliver

03. Guardians 3 - ofc, will be a mix of original soundtrack and pop songs, but the first 2 mixes were great and i think this one will follow suit