Eric is Anxious

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm really curious how Hollywood is going to react to this snowstorm, because it's utterly destroying these numbers. Some of them might be moving away from the December corridor methinks.

No impact because the openers this Christmas (besides Avatar obviously) don't have much buzz in the first place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm really curious how Hollywood is going to react to this snowstorm, because it's utterly destroying these numbers. Some of them might be moving away from the December corridor methinks.

You're almost guaranteed 3.5 legs and some of the biggest films of the 21st century were released in December.

No way Hollywood gives up on December.

• Like 2

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There are only so many weekends in the year. And schedules have already been set. Moreover; this is literally a perfect storm scenario of unusual weather pattern affects ENTIRE country + XMas Eve on Sat and X Mas on Sun. So bad calendar and bad weather. 

There’s no reason to really course correct.

If I was Disney, what I’d really be worried about is am I losing my window of interest? In this era of instant gratification, how long are people gonna wait for the PLFs and weather to clear up before they just say “eh, I will wait for Disney+”

• Like 7

Just now, Cap said:

There are only so many weekends in the year. And schedules have already been set. Moreover; this is literally a perfect storm scenario of unusual weather pattern affects ENTIRE country + XMas Eve on Sat and X Mas on Sun. So bad calendar and bad weather. 

If I was Disney, what I’d really be worried about is am I losing my window of interest? In this era of instant gratification, how long are people gonna wait for the PLFs and weather to clear up before they just say “eh, I will wait for Disney+”

Luckily it's gonna have PLFs until Knock at the Cabin so plenty of time for it to take advantage of an empty schedule (between Christmas releases that are looking to underwhelm and a January made up entirely of dumps besides M3GAN).

• Like 2

20th Century Studios/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water made $14.3Myesterday at 4,202 theaters, ranking it as the second best Wednesday of 2022 after Top Gun: Maverick‘s $14.8M on June 1. Avatar 2‘s first Wednesday also outstripped that of Minions: Rise of Gru ($13.5M, July 6) and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’s first and second Wednesdays ($8.1M Nov 16 and $10M on Nov. 23).

What’s interesting here is that from Sunday through midweek, Avatar 2 is playing like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story; yesterday not that far from the Lucasfilm prequel’s $14.96M Wednesday. That said, Avatar: The Way of Water at $183M through six days is pacing 11% behind Rogue One in its domestic running total. Avatar 2 hopes to make $90M-$95M in its second 4-day weekend which has Christmas falling on Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-wednesday-puss-in-boots-the-last-wish-1235205092/

Spoiler

Wakanda Forever and Rogue One over A2 DOM lives :Venom:

I joke, I joke. Or Am I? :qotd:

Edited by ZattMurdock

Between PIB2 and A2, the theaterical business outlook does look grim to me. It is not like PIB2 surprise while A2 disappoint, it is the two biggest movie of season going soft.

Don't tell me about the weather, sometime when a business lost, they are gone. Latter means never with the short amount of theatrical window, 

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

Imo a lot of people were waiting for Christmas week, with most people off work, going with their familes etc.

I just hope the cold snap ends by the end of the weekend to get a true picture of that being true or not.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cap said:

The Last of Us will reign supreme in January as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-wednesday-puss-in-boots-the-last-wish-1235205092/

Hide contents

Wakanda Forever and Rogue One over A2 lives :Venom:

I joke, I joke. Or Am I? :qotd:

Interesting that Wakanda and Violent Night both had miniscule drops and are both higher than Monday.

• Like 1

Third place yesterday belonged to Wakanda Forever with $902K for a running total of $421.7M at 3,200 in the midst of week 6.

I really want Wakanda Forever to reach $450m but it’s starting to look hard. Hopefully Oscars awards nom and February might push it further.

17 minutes ago, Cap said:

The Office Thank You GIF

My thoughts ex-fucking-actly.

• Thanks 1

If A2 doesn't recover from the snowstorm domestically, we could see something ridiculous like a 20/80 Dom/OS split.

I propose we banish America to Disney+ for Avatar 3 as they're not worthy

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 2