Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

Just now, Eric in Boots said:

I mean almost every Timothee movie has made money when you think about it. People bought tickets to even see The King and Don't Look Up. So that's a lie. They all made money. I bought tickets for many of them. Therefore, money was made.

Your constant mentioning of Timothee when he has nothing to do with the convo seems as if he you think he is Josh Hartnett Henry Cavill or something dude. 

• Haha 2

I don't see Babylon getting a Best Picture nomination or anything above the tech line at this point. Too floppy and tepidly reviewed, and unlike something with an equally cold reception such as Don't Look Up, doesn't have the convenience of being disguised as a streaming hit to save face.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Your constant mentioning of Timothee when he has nothing to do with the convo seems as if he you think he is Josh Hartnett Henry Cavill or something dude. 

Except he was mentioned by someone else and Eric just responded to that. 

20 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Yes, Lucy was a real movie star moment for Scarlett, but she didn't have a big box office success outside Marvel in a long time, 2014 was a long while ago, at the time Movie Star wasn't dead yet.

Actually, Jojo Rabbit (2019) made 90 m. WW on a 14 m. budget, and she was the main draw there, as the most important adult actor (alongside Watiti's Hitler).  

She is privileged because she became famous at the highest commercial point of movie theatres (the 2002-2005 era) with the whole Woody Allen, Sofia Coppola etc... arthouse movies and many commercial successes; then she was smart enough to build on that popularity with Marvel, aka the biggest franchise ever.

Keira Knightley also got a great start with Pirates+Love actually+ Pride and Prejudice, but fell off after Anna Karenina and her pregnancies, and is now a B-lister in terms of star power, but could easily go back to super stardom with the right role in more commercial movies. Jennifer Lawrence also enjoyed a popularity peak (though it was always more domestic fame than international success, unlike Scarlett and Keira), but her star has now faded.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

6 minutes ago, XXR It's 2 Damn Cold Out said:

Except he was mentioned by someone else and Eric just responded to that. 

Weak and nonsensical defense, Chalamet isn't mentioned previously probably 95% of the time that Eric brings him up, randomly adds him to thread titles, etc. TC is a great, exciting young talent so no problem with him being brought it, but it's certainly noticeable. :popcorn:

Lets see Chalamet cast as young Lex Luthor please.

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Margot Robbie is Cameron Diaz in the 2020s. She's absolutely a draw in the right role, but that's about it. Robbie was 100% part of the reason Suicide Squad blew up in 2016 despite pathetic reviews. The character is a bit played out at this point, though. Anyone think BARBIE has the buzz it has if CAREY MULLIGAN was cast in the lead? Everyone knows Robbie should have been cast as Daisy Buchanon in GATSBY 2013 too. 

I also think, frankly, she struggles from being perfect looking. Many moviegoers have a hard time taking the truly perfect-looking people seriously. She is hardly the first person to struggle with this. Many actresses in the past struggled with this, and actors too. Some overcome it, and some don't. 

There is such a difference between being "good looking & dolled up for Hollywood" ala Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, Ben Affleck, Tom Cruise etc and then legit. having a super-model type of face ala Margot Robbie, Megan Fox, Henry Cavill, Josh Hartnett, Rob Lowe. Brad Pitt is one of the only people to truly overcome this and it took him forever to do so. 

You guys need to stop throwing shade at Cameron Diaz in that way. Her box office record actually is next to impeccable, and she actually used to be a draw at the box office. Margot Robbie is sinking even superhero franchises. On a probably way more controversial note, Cameron Diaz is actually a captivating actress while Margot Robbie is not 

• Like 2

The snowstorm didn't help matters, but I think a lot of the results we're seeing have different explanations. 

Babylon: Middling reviews, vague trailers that never told you what the movie was about, and adult dramas still struggling in a post covid world.

I Wannna Dance with Somebody: The idea of a Whitney Houston movie no longer seems special years after we've had numerous specials and made for TV movies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Any way you slice it, A2 is a big box office disappointment. We can say "but wait for, just wait till" all day but anything short of highest grossing movie of all time is a disappointment. That seems unfair but that's the standard Cameron set for himself. 

There are time I really want to give up and say "No point waiting, latter means never" but looking at how all movies perform on Friday, most of them weirdly dropped from Thursday unlike the same Friday in 2016, where all movies gain 30%-40% from already growing Thursday.  In fact, A2 gain the most for all movies in release right now. 

I just wish the storm quickly gone and let us finalize this once and for all....Any weather outlook report? 

2 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

You guys need to stop throwing shade at Cameron Diaz in that way. Her box office record actually is next to impeccable, and she actually used to be a draw at the box office. Margot Robbie is sinking even superhero franchises. On a probably way more controversial note, Cameron Diaz is actually a captivating actress while Margot Robbie is not 

1) What films did Cameron Diaz herself carry to success? Love her but you think she is the reason her hit films were hits...?

2) Robbie is the reason the DC films sank? GTFO with that BS :lol:

Edited by excel1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Weak and nonsensical defense, Chalamet isn't mentioned previously probably 95% of the time that Eric brings him up. TC is a great, exciting young talent so no problem with him being brought it, but it's certainly noticeable. :popcorn:

Weak/nonsensical defenses + bringing up unrelated pretty boy talent should definitely be something you're fine with given your modus operandi. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XXR It's 2 Damn Cold Out said:

Weak/nonsensical defenses + bringing up unrelated pretty boy talent should definitely be something you're fine with given your modus operandi. 

QFT if its related to DC films

9 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

I mean almost every Timothee movie has made money when you think about it. People bought tickets to even see The King and Don't Look Up. So that's a lie. They all made money. I bought tickets for many of them. Therefore, money was made.

hysterical-laughter.gif

One thing I will say for a bit of tiny optimism - usually in South Florida at least we tend to have the week leading up to Christmas and the week leading up to New Year's off. When I was in school, for example, we would have had off from the 16th through the 2nd of January. But this year, kids are off from the 23rd (yesterday) until January 9th instead. Wondering if this is a thing elsewhere and if so whether it could extend holiday legs an extra week longer. 

Controversial take but I just don't think Whitney Houston had the star power later in her career to leave a large fanbase hungry for a film for her. She had an insanely high career peak in the early 90s, but that was about it, and then torpedoed downwards as everyone knows.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Firepower said:

"Prestige" doesn't mean every single contender has to be boring generic Oscar bait people forget about forever as soon as awards season ends, if not earlier. Oscars is a middle ground between Cannes and People's Choice Awards, not former and never was.

The Fabelmans, Babylon, Banshees, and Tar are exactly that 

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

1) What films did Cameron Diaz herself carry to success?

2) Robbie is the reason the DC films sank? GTFO with that BS :lol:

Since you said “herself”: The Other Woman and Bad Teacher.

It’s not often people are the sole draw when they tend to rom coms. After all,it wouldn’t be very romantic with just one actor lol.

She did the heavy lifting on Knight & Day too, but Tom Cruise was too busy being a certified weirdo at that time, so it flopped. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

Someone here is delusional!

Let's remember the LONG list of Timothee's flops as a leading actor:

- Beautiful boy

- A rainy day in New York

- The King

- The French dispatch (he wasn't the main lead there, but arguably the face of the promotional tour).

- Bones and all

That's worse than Margot Robbie's list.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire