Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

Just now, Flopped said:

None of the Marvel or Star Wars movies (the ones after 1983) come close to Titanic. If you want to, you can avoid a Marvel movie, no matter how huge. You could run, you could hide, but you could not avoid Titanic for a good 4-6 months. 

I agree with this. I was pretty young when Titanic came out but I remember it being an absolute phenomenon and being everywhere. This was before the internet and social media. It's success is totally organic and the true definition of WOM. 

I think Titanic Is the last big blockbuster that reached a very diverse wide audience. Not everyone likes superheros or LOTRs. Everyone I know has either heard or seen the film multiple times. I can't say the same for other blockbusters I like like The Avengers or Star Wars prequels & sequels.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Likely candidates:

GOTG Vol 3

The Little Mermaid
Indy 5
Mission Impossible 7
Aquaman 2

I personally think there wont be a movie next year that wins it by a really huge margin. Of those here (i know, i apologize for the Dune and Meg disrespect), i would say it seems safer to bet on Marvel i. e. GOTG 3, but after this year, im not so sure anymore and if Indiana Jones 5 is of exceptional quality, that movie could be HUGE. Also Mission Impossible 7 has a whole mountain of goodwill behind it, i woundt underestimate it and Little Mermaid - on paper - should also have a shot looking at past movies like Lion King or Aladdin.

I think it will be Indy 5, only because i have a feeling that it will be a great movie and if it connects with global audiences, theres massive potential there since it is still one of the most iconic franchises.

I'm right there with you. 100%. My faith in Marvel is pretty shook at this point. They definitely have the highest floor, or one of the highest floors, in cinema right now and they're pretty much the most dependable products, but they've really come down to Earth as they lost a big chunk of the GA.

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning is also my official darkhorse for #1 worldwide, though not necessarily my prediction. After Top Gun I think worldwide audiences may feel that big Tom Cruise productions come with a promise of quality and that could drive up attendance further than any of us thought possible for an MI movie. That vibe of quality is THE thing right now, I believe. In conjunction with IP. I think people are starting to see past standard, factory made, assembly line fare now. There has to be a sense of quality (trying to think of another way to put it but can't find the words right now) or maybe "prestige" is the word.

Indy 5 is also a very safe bet. I believe in James Mangold. He's got the crowd pleasing aspect down.

• Like 1

Puss in Boots is....GREAT!

Best animated movie of the year.

Top 5 for movies I've seen this year in theaters.

I give it an A-/B+.  All 4 kids gave it A-s to B+ to "it's great" (my 2nd teen now only grades by words:).

Such a great villain...such a fun spin on some fairy tale characters not seen.  Love the story and the pacing and the set up.

No need to see original Puss, since my kids haven't.  A great standalone movie that understood how to be a great standalone even when it's a part of a series.

Credits well spent.  I think my spouse regrets not going.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Flopped said:

None of the Marvel or Star Wars movies (the ones after 1983) come close to Titanic. If you want to, you can avoid a Marvel movie, no matter how huge. You could run, you could hide, but you could not avoid Titanic for a good 4-6 months. 

Titanic was a living breathing entity. It was a force of nature that could not be stopped.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

MI7 has an actual shot of being the biggest of the next year if it gets enough from domestic like 350m

After the fail that was my TG2 prediction (UNDER 100M :stretcher:) i will not put a number on MI7, BUT i don't think the success of one movie can rise the numbers for the successor that much. MI6 did 220M and it was very well received. I hope MI7 can increase, but i don't know if that much more

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

The legs are sexy. I think this weekend it could really explode with over 60M Three day

That's the hope. 

For all my Puss in Boots ranting I really love the new Avatar and wish it lots of success. 

Saw A2 twice btw, both times in PLF. Once in 3D and the other in 2D. I prefer the 3D.