CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Yeah for sure.

Its just a shame for me as Spielberg pretty much created the 'summer blockbuster'. And there was a time where his name was a bigger pull than even grade A actors.

These days its more like 'Spielberg?, is he still making movies?'.

I wouldnt like to say its a waste of talent and a career, as he has had an amazing career overall. Just a bit of a lame last 20 years for me, and a bit of a waste of a man that has an amazing imagination and knack of what the audience likes.

Cameron has basically overtaken him now, in that sense.

He's made some of his greatest films in the last 20 years, though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He's made some of his greatest films in the last 20 years, though

Well i wont deny that, and that wsnt my intention anyway, i was talking more from a 'summer blockbuster' angle.

Its like when a amazing sports star retires in his prime, and you feel its a bit of a waste as he has so much left in the tank, so to speak.

29 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Man Called Otto doing over 3.5m in 600 theaters is impressive, no?

I thought it was going to be a Hanks flop, but this indicates real draw power. Mediocre reviews, no awards heat, the marketplace has been unkind to this type of film but it outperformed Fabelman's wide expansion in roughly same amount of theaters

I said it before that Hanks playing a grouch who makes snarky, middlebrow one-liners is catnip to boomers, even if it may arguably be miscast. Still weird to me that Hanks is being asked to play what is basically the Hallmark version of Clint Eastwood's character from Gran Torino lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not arguing audiences connected with characters, arguing that it wasnt bc of any kind of high quality character building. It was very nostalgia driven. Right down to using Kilmer’s real life unfortunate circumstances as the pivotal heart wrenching scene. It rode on so many nostalgia waves that wouldn’t have been there for a movie with the same script that was a new IP. 

I also don’t think the action was as incredible to watch as many hyped it to be. I think what’s incredible is that most of the actors actually did their own stunts and that is very commendable, but it doesn’t make it anymore awe inspiring to watch unless you’re telling yourself in your head the whole time “omg they actually did this”, which I think is what happened with most people. And that magnified the spectacle in people’s mind. But in sheer unbiased what’s more jaw dropping on the screen terms, I can’t see how it compares w A2s greatest spectacle whatsoever. 

it kicked my ass way more than A2 did. And I loved A2. 
As a spectacle thrill ride that really put you in it, the third act of TGM is on its own. 

My jaw dropped in A2, but it was on the floor for most of TGM. I could not believe how perfect the film was. A definitive perfect blockbuster event movie that we haven’t really seen the likes of in years.  As for the MI films, largely love all of them. Not even Fallout was as good as TGM imo.  

What A2 has that TGM didn’t is the wonder of its second act. There’s no doubt going underwater and the design and feel of the thing was utterly phenomenal. Other than that though, I found TGM the much better movie. 

I do think it has an outside shot at Best Picture too. It’s right there with Elvis to steal it from Fabelmans or EEAAO in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Legion in Boots said:

There are also plenty of higher grossing titles that leg poorly. Plenty of higher grossing titles that leg alright. But that corner of “high opener, super good legs” is a fucking ghost town — because it’s harder/borderline impossible to retain excellently when your volume is high.

You said what you said, and it’s time to reconsider and back down — because for almost any specific numerical claim it can be reasonably translated to, it’s not going to shake out without cherry picking 😘

Movies of any size legging out to 4x their 4th week is rarified air - how many others even exist? 

We’ll agree to disagree on which path is “harder” or “more impressive”, but any way you slice the numbers, saying that Showman legged out on par with OG Avatar is an accurate statement 

18 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Yeah for sure.

Its just a shame for me as Spielberg pretty much created the 'summer blockbuster'. And there was a time where his name was a bigger pull than even grade A actors.

These days its more like 'Spielberg?, is he still making movies?'.

I wouldnt like to say its a waste of talent and a career, as he has had an amazing career overall. Just a bit of a lame last 20 years for me, and a bit of a waste of a man that has an amazing imagination and knack of what the audience likes.

Cameron has basically overtaken him now, in that sense.

There isn’t one James Cameron film that would get in a top ten of Spielberg. He has never and will never take over him, and JC I think is a genius filmmaker. 

• ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

There isn’t one James Cameron film that would get in a top ten of Spielberg. He has never and will never take over him, and JC I think is a genius filmmaker. 

1. Jaws

2. Raiders of the Lost Arc

3. T2

4. E.T.

5 Aliens

6 Saving Private Ryan

7. Jurassic Park

8. T1

9. Schindlers List

10. Titanic 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Spielberg's dramas, I agree 100%, as a blockbuster filmmaker though I think Cameron wins that one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well i wont deny that, and that wsnt my intention anyway, i was talking more from a 'summer blockbuster' angle.

Its like when a amazing sports star retires in his prime, and you feel its a bit of a waste as he has so much left in the tank, so to speak.

I don't agree with this at all lol. Did you not see the camera flexing he was doing in West Side Story?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do wonder what JC's more Aliens-like Jurassic Park would have looked like if Spielberg hadn't been him to the book rights. Ultimately I think SS was the right man for the job; you need that childlike sense of wonder in the movie. 

1.55M for Otto is a big surprise to me. I was expecting like 2M for the entire weekend. We might be looking at a 4M+. I think next weekend the expansion can go really well if positive WOM continues to spread. Definitly hoping for 15M+ for the 4 day weekend now.

Avatar looking good for a 40M 4th weekend. It should have a really strong hold next weekend with the holiday. Fully expecting a 35M+ 4-day weekend.

M3gan with a strong start at 27M+. It feels like in 2019 it would have easily done 35M but this is the new market and this movie only cost 12M. Hopefully legs will be strong until the end of January.

Not much to say about Puss in Boots. Legs have been fantastic starting on Christmas day. Hopefully it can carry itself to a 400M global total.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

I said it before that Hanks playing a grouch who makes snarky, middlebrow one-liners is catnip to boomers, even if it may arguably be miscast. Still weird to me that Hanks is being asked to play what is basically the Hallmark version of Clint Eastwood's character from Gran Torino lol

He's SO miscast. 

Even more shocking is that his real life non-Chet and non-Colin son is playing a younger version of him and is even MORE miscast??

But good for Hanks. He's still got juice left in the tank. And it's been mentioned before, the big moneymakers that lack a huge genre concept ala M3GAN, Smile, etc usually have a star in the lead role (Lost City, Bullet Train..). Looking at Banshees, Fabelmans, Armageddon Time, TAR.. Colin Farrell, Anne Hathaway, Cate Blanchett are stars but never true mainstream draws. Rogen is probably the biggest name in Fabelmans but that's unlike what he usually makes and his last few theatrical releases have been very floppy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

At least we can all agree Avatar and its sequel wouldn’t get in a Spielberg Top 20, right?

Avatar would certainly not be top tier Spielberg, but 20 movies are a lot. If you make a combined top 20 it could probably miss, though.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1