CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

Not to derail too much, but I really do think Mario takes the 2023 WW crown. While there’s a lot of blockbusters this year, there’s almost nothing else that has a great shot at much over $1b WW.

Fast has definitely peaked, can’t see it getting too much over $1b. $1b would already be breaking the ceiling significantly for Guardians, so can’t see much higher. Aquabro has the death of the current DCEU and Heard controversy to deal with, so I doubt it goes above the first. All that leaves is Mermaid, which I think could go as high as 1.5b but only if it delivers in a huge way. No TLK drivel or it’s not getting anywhere near that number. 

Japan and DOM alone will get Mario already knocking at $1b I’d be willing to bet, so yeah I’m locking in the 2023 crown for it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

I'd love to explain it but the math is so advanced that simply reading it would cause a singularity in your mind that turns your body into a blackhole. I don't wanna do that to you. 

You are very consideate to avoid us living a nightmare like Mcconnaughey did in Interstellar

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not to derail too much, but I really do think Mario takes the 2023 WW crown. While there’s a lot of blockbusters this year, there’s almost nothing else that has a great shot at much over $1b WW.

Still need to be convinced that Mario is a 600+ million grosser, nothing i've seen makes me think theres a quality movie in there, I also dont think the mario characters outside of games means anything to the GA

Unless Indie is an A+ cinemasocre-tier movie, the only thing I can see doing over a billion is MI7 and that probably needs a china release

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Japan and DOM alone will get Mario already knocking at $1b I’d be willing to bet, so yeah I’m locking in the 2023 crown for it. 

Japan didn't do much for Detective PIkachu, idk why Mario would be massively different.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Still need to be convinced that Mario is a 600+ million grosser, im really not sure that the quality is there for it, I also dont think the mario characters outside of games means anything to the GA

Unless Indie is an A+ cinemasocre-tier movie, the only thing I can see doing over a billion is MI7 and that probably needs a china release

WW?!? It’s more likely to clear 600 DOM then miss that WW lol. All signs are there for huge huge breakout. The TLDR being that Mario is a massive pop culture icon around the world, has a really great release slot for minimal competition for a solid month, reception for what’s been shown so far is through the roof among fans, and Illumination knows how to appeal en masse to kids. 

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

, nothing i've seen makes me think theres a quality movie in there

and I say that as a big minions 2 fan

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

And yet for all that, it legged better from its OD than Halloween Ends :Venom:

This tends to happen when you release a “final chapter” that probably 3/4 of the fan base hates, plus release it in Peacock day and date…

10 minutes ago, cookie said:

Japan didn't do much for Detective PIkachu, idk why Mario would be massively different.

Detective Pikachu wasn’t an animated film in the true spirit of the games. Pikachu being this “gruff” rough and tumble portrayal was probably particularly off putting to the Japanese audience. But animated all on its own changes everything. I would also argue Pikachu is not as big of a Japanese icon as Mario, big as Pikachu may be. There are actually several Pokémon alone that have higher popularity in Japan over Pikachu. 

Nintendo is also heavily involved in this movie, so unlike DP, it has an actual Japanese touch from Japanese creators working on it. 

The boxoffice is returning to normalcy. The first regular boxoffice year since 2019.

Still, when you look at the films in the #5-10 spot on a given weekend, there are still way more sub-$1M grosses than what we saw pre-2020. Before 2020, the #10 movie on any weekend was around $3M (that's been the case since the 1990s actually)

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

WW?!? It’s more likely to clear 600 DOM then miss that WW lol. All signs are there for huge huge breakout. The TLDR being that Mario is a massive pop culture icon around the world, has a really great release slot for minimal competition for a solid month, reception for what’s been shown so far is through the roof among fans, and Illumination knows how to appeal en masse to kids. 

what does detective pikachu have to do with anything?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Keep seeing people mentioning about Mario possibly taking the 2023 crown. It honestly looks like one of those 500-700mil WW grossers to me.

1 bln for Mario looks like utter nonsense to me, nothing implies that unless I missed some huge social media numbers, but Detective Picachoo had huge social media numbers and it was a big miss in normal times. But I could be wrong, stranger things happened.

James Cameron returns to the King of the World throne. How does he do it?? LOL

Avatar: The Way of Water (Domestic)

From Boxoffice Pro:

Weekend #

Gross

All-time ranking

$134.1M

$63.3M

$67.4M

$45.0M

#2 (American Sniper went wide in its 4th wknd, not counting it)

Edited by lilmac
  • Heart 1

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fast has definitely peaked, can’t see it getting too much over $1b. $1b would already be breaking the ceiling significantly for Guardians, so can’t see much higher. Aquabro has the death of the current DCEU and Heard controversy to deal with, so I doubt it goes above the first. All that leaves is Mermaid, which I think could go as high as 1.5b but only if it delivers in a huge way. No TLK drivel or it’s not getting anywhere near that number. 

Uh...what japan numbers are you expecting from Mario, exactly?

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Seeing that Minions 2 almost made a billion dollars, I don't understand this mindset.

Well i'd argue Minions is a bigger name, at least in the movie space.

I'll honestly be blown away if Mario grosses a billion.

9 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Seeing that Minions 2 almost made a billion dollars, I don't understand this mindset.

minions are this generation's star wars

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1