Borobudur

Short Weekdays thread Jan 17 to Jan 19

48 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

That Grace Randolph keeps saying that 'A knock at the Cabin' is going to take most of A2's PLF screens, and that releases on Feb 3rd.

If true i'd say JW is the realistic target, not TGM.😒

I have read that ‘A Knock at the Cabin’ is taking all of the Dolby Screens anyway as it is in their contract with universal. Not sure about other PLF formats though. 

37 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I do feel JW is pretty much locked at this point, but i was thinking 700mil was still well in play as i was thinking AntMan was going to be the first film to take most of the PLF screens (i know Titanic is before but no one seems to know if its a wide release or a more limited release).

Box Office Mojo, for whatever it’s worth, is saying it will be wide.

That said, 20th Century Studios/Disney/Lightstorm’s Avatar: The Way of Water is expected to remain strong with at least $20M in weekend 6. Avatar 2 ends week 5 with a running total of $578.2M. This weekend will get the James Cameron directed sequel to $598M+. The next pic it needs to pass on the all-time list of the highest grossing movies at the domestic box office is The Incredibles 2 ($608.5M), which is currently ranked the 12th highest.

Universal/Atomic Monster/Blumhouse’s M3GAN ends week 2 with an estimated $63.4M running total, second week of $25M. The third weekend of Gerard Johnstone directed PG-13 genre title is expected to remain robust with $15M.

Sony’s A Man Called Otto ends its third week (first in wide release at 3,802) with $20.1M, a running total of $26.3M. Weekend 4 is expected to be around $10M.

Mezzo-mezzo day for A2. It increased opposed to JW's 12% drop. Still lower 35th day. Should recover over the weekend, but this is ain't a done deal yet.

JURAWATER SHOWDOWN  - AVATAR 2 VS JURASSIC WORLD

DAY 35: (THURSDAY) AVATAR 1.9m

DAY 35: (THURSDAY) JURASSIC WORLD 1.94m

WATER TEMP: COLD (-0.4m)

CUME: AVATAR 578.22m  VS  JW 599.77m

SEA LEVEL: MINUS 21.55m

WATER FLOW: 645m

• Disbelief 1

17 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Better actual 

1 (1) Avatar: The Way of Water 20th Century… $1,959,746 +5% -34% 4,045 $484 $578,276,353 35

- (3) M3GAN Universal $989,465 +12% -41% 3,605 $274 $63,487,510 14
- (4) Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Universal $972,370 +14% -10% 3,687 $264 $114,960,470 30

PiB was so close to overtaking M3GAN again

I apparently haven't logged into the forums in well over a year.

Anyway, I actually went to see a movie in theaters this week, Avatar 2: Electric Boogaloo. And it's the first film that's interested me in box office numbers in a long time, because, well, I don't bet against Cameron. This was the first film I'd seen in IMAX since... honestly, I don't know what the previous one was. Probably Aquaman. 

Long time members may remember that I'd occasionally do a simple stupid weekly box office predictor. Like, the most basic spreadsheet analysis of what sort of weekly drops from here on out a film would need to hit certain benchmarks. And even if the final totals aren't really important (it's massively successful and we're probably going to see All The Sequels), it's interesting to see where it will end up.

So... in week 5 The Way of Water earned a cool $46,475,005, bringing its total to $578,276,353, down just 22.6% from the previous week. That's elevated because of the MLK holiday, but a pretty keen hold regardless. 

Currently A2 stands at 13th all time. Next up is The Incredibles 2's 608m. This is basically impossible to miss, as 60% weekly drops will get there. 11th is The Last Jedi's 620.2 and 10th is the Avengers' 623.4. It can get there with 52% and 50% drops, respectively. Again, basically impossible.

38% drops is enough to beat Jurassic World's 653.4, but to get past Cameron's own Titanic, it'll need 36% drops. This is still likely. Cameron's known for staying power.

Climbing higher than Titanic is harder, though. Avengers: Infinity War probably needs 31% drops, and the Septuple Century mark (along with Black Panther) is at the 27% mark. To break into the top 5 all time will require beating Top Gun: Maverick's 718.7, which is also the mark to become the biggest film of 2022. Either way, 25% drops are in order.

The original Avatar (including re-releases) is at 785.2. And that's looking at sub 20% drops, which only happened during the second week, so we're probably not going to see it. The legs on A2 are good, but not that good.

No Way Home and Endgame are looking at sub 15% drops, and The Force Awakens is in the minuscule single digit territory, which I didn't even set up my spreadsheet for.

If I was going to guess, I'd say something in the 670-720m range is likely. Where it falls relatively to IW, BP, and Maverick will remain to be seen.

Might update again next week. See ya!

-cass!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2