Borobudur

Short Weekdays thread Jan 17 to Jan 19

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

outside of avatar sequels and avengers 5 and 6, any other possible $2 billy grossers you guys think are possible in the next couple years?

Nope. Nothing currently announced/expected can hit $2B except A3-5 and A5-6 :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

outside of avatar sequels and avengers 5 and 6, any other possible $2 billy grossers you guys think are possible in the next couple years?

Specific movies confirmed for theaters? No. But hypothetically I would say Harry Potter 9 or a Star Wars movie (but not in the next few years). And...well...I wouldn't rule out a live-action Frozen remake. But none of these seem to happen in the next couple of years so...

I don’t think Incredibles or Frozen 3 quite have the juice, but you would expect a decent chance of an animated movie over 2B in the next few years just going by really brute highest grossing animation trends.

6 hours ago, druv10 said:

Honestly, reading the weekday threads for Avatar's becoming ridiculously tedious. Same song and dance regarding doom on Monday through Thursday followed by great jumps (Recovery) on Friday/Saturday. 

And we wonder why new members just lurk. LOL

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I don’t think Incredibles or Frozen 3 quite have the juice, but you would expect a decent chance of an animated movie over 2B in the next few years just going by really brute highest grossing animation trends.

Frozen 2 will bigger than shrek 5 WW

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

I dream of an original surprise hit that grosses $2B+ or even $3B

Even the original surprise $1B grossers of the entire 2010s were from established franchises and brands like superheroes and Disney Princesses (except for Zootopia)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Royce said:

Even the original surprise $1B grossers of the entire 2010s were from established franchises and brands like superheroes and Disney Princesses (except for Zootopia)

Zootopia was a great run (Inside Out and SLOP did great as well, in the same era), not even that many years later, an original animated film doing $1B worldwide feels implausible now. 

3 hours ago, Royce said:

it's hard to imagine what could do it

If you look at the past decades, you need either a franchise movie or a big budget production by a proven hit maker. Avatar, Titanic and Jurassic Park weren't really surprises in that sense.

I think you have to go back almost half a century to see that kind of big surprise hit, and that would be Star Wars. And it was at a time when you could still wow audiences with just a bit of technical ingenuity and didn't necessarily need a massive budget.

Another problem is we have yet to find the next Spielberg or Cameron. We have directors that can do big spectacle like Nolan or Villeneuve, but they don't have the same kind of pull with the GA.

I believe it could happen, but still it's very unlikely that something will come out of left field and make 3 billion dollars

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

National Treasure 3 with Nic Cage

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Shrek 5 if Puss does 200m domestic, could have a strong enough domestic performance, not enough for 2B but maybe 1.5B

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

This weekend should be something like 10.5-11.5x Thursday.

So I looked over some historical January data, and the most definitive conclusion I can make is that January is frickin hard, in that there are so many outside variables - the calendar, NFL playoffs, random winter storms - that its difficult to find the signal amongst the noise. (February too!)

Generally, we see bigger Fri and Sat jumps for this weekend, and even without the holiday effect, the Th/Wknd ratio is slightly higher than for MLK weekend. Last week Avatwo had an 11.0x for the 3-Day (higher than I would have expected), so maybe pencil that in as the approximate floor? But it also had an atypically strong MLK Sunday, so losing that bump could push a bit below that I suppose? Also, for some years with a later MLK holiday, this weekend was the off-week for the NFL playoffs, so that likely skews the ratios higher.

Don't see any reason why Thursday should be more than -5% worse than Wed, so whatever number we get today for Wed, I'm putting down 11x as the expected weekend, though I think the range above seems about right overall. A $1.9-$2.0M Wed (similar w/w drop as Tue) is a $19-$22M weekend.

• Like 2