filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like clockwork. The Disney Animation brand is like catnip for the Academy voters. Spider-Verse got lucky both Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 were polarizing. Turning Red is universally loved, so it'll unfortunately get the automatic win. It is what it is.

you think? I think Pinocchio might win it personally. Turning Red was great though. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Next year's Actor race already feels like a foregone conclusion since the first images of BCoop in Maestro are serving DDL in Lincoln "congrats a year in advance" vibes.

people say this every year for cooper and it never pans out

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

people say this every year for cooper and it never pans out

I dunno, looking at the contenders a year out it feels like everything is paving the way for his moment? Not to mention the "transformation" of it all. I know there's been whispers Leo might go Supporting for Flower Moon but we shall see. Cillian Murphy feels like the only other good bet right now for that category based on materials released since Oppenheimer is looking to be Nolan's first movie that can be qualified as an actual "actor" vehicle in a while and he's clearly the lead.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I dunno, looking at the contenders a year out it feels like everything is paving the way for him? I know there's been whispers Leo might go Supporting for Flower Moon but we shall see. Cillian Murphy feels like the only other good bet right now for that category based on materials released since Oppenheimer is looking to be Nolan's first movie that can be qualified as an actual "actor" vehicle in a while and he's clearly the lead.

tenet.gif

The Oscar bait I'm most excited for next year is Jeff Nichols' The Bikeriders, because it promises us Tom Hardy and Austin Butler in a motorcycle gang, which could be leading to some of the most hysterical and mindblowing accent work ever.

• Haha 1

Im afraid of All Quiet on the Western Front winning anything. People outside Germany could come to the bafflingly wrong conclusion that we germans can actually make good movies. While All Quiet is indeed a very good movie, it is in no way a true representation of german film culture. Understand please, that we SUCK at making movies despite All Quiet.

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The streamers (Western Front aside) pretty much shut out in comparison to last year. Another shot in the arm for theatrical and where films should be set up. 

Inevitable Netflix and co will open up windows for theatrical for their prestige efforts.  

The successful one week run for Glass Onion probably made people even more frustrated by how much Netflix hates movie theaters. Maestro will almost certainly get a few weeks in theaters only due to all the names involved (BCoop is also a producer on it alongside Spielberg/Scorsese/Todd Phillips) but it's unlikely it'll go beyond that Cinemark exclusive deal + lesser chains. But if they are bound and determined to limit the shelf life of their product (that sizzle reel the other week was proof we can expect more junk than treasure from them this year) then hey, that's up to them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Im afraid of All Quiet on the Western Front winning anything. People outside Germany could come to the bafflingly wrong conclusion that we germans can actually make good movies. While All Quiet is indeed a very good movie, it is in no way a true representation of german film culture. Understand please, that we SUCK at making movies despite All Quiet.

I concur. The last time you guys had a great filmmaker, she got my ancestors sent to Bergen Belsen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like clockwork. The Disney Animation brand is like catnip for the Academy voters. Spider-Verse got lucky both Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 were polarizing. Turning Red is universally loved, so it'll unfortunately get the automatic win. It is what it is.

Thing is, Turning Red isn’t getting the award win traction it needs much like the other two. I wouldn’t be surprised if Pinocchio got a surprise win, especially as the Academy loves GDT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I have seen 2 German movies. All Quiet on the Western Front and Downfall and one TV series Dark so you are 3 out of 3 for me so far 😀

• Like 2

Just now, Jonan23 said:

I have seen 2 German movies. All Quiet on the Western Front and Downfall and one TV series Dark so you are 3 out of 3 for me so far 😀

Thats like picking the rare golden marbles out of the pacific ocean-sized sea of darkness (namely: Bad Comedies).