Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Avatar 19.7, Puss 11.5, M3GAN 9.8, Missing 9.3, Otto 9

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

One of the huge advantages of theatrical releases is that - no matter if the movie in question is good or bad - you as a viewer have to invest time to see it and thus more likely than not remember the experience and the movie itself for quite some time. Watching movies on streaming plattforms often has the opposite effect. No matter if its good or bad, its more likely that you wont remember it a week later because its just another film you watched on Netflix/Amazon Prime etc.

Getting a theatrical release in many (ofc not all) cases is a guarantee for movies to not be forgotten in a few weeks/months time und thus the filmmakers involved have a higher chance that their vision for making a movie gets attention and awareness in the wider public.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The number of movies I've seen in theaters is easily in the hundreds, and I've only walked out of a like 1 or 2 ... they certainly weren't all good! I can probably tell you more about the bad ones than some that were just OK. Yet I've given up on countless movies after 20-60 minutes at home, because they just weren't doing it for me

I know one of the big sells of streaming is the convenience, but when you make it too easy for people to consume, it makes the content more disposable, less memorable. Even dropping all episodes at once and allowing binge watching has a dampening effect, rather than making viewers have to wait a week and becoming appointment TV (like Disney and HBO still do), with then people discussing it between episodes

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Hmm, going to have to disagree with this pretty strongly. I agree that Disney's distribution has been hurtful the brand some at the BO, but Puss has been available at home for weeks. Quality is the key to being an event regardless of release mode. I mean heck, in Encanto's case it was a non-event in theaters and only became an event when they put it on svod.

Puss in Boots is only available on PVOD, which again requires an active commitment, this time just cost. Soul was high quality and made only a ripple when forced to be released to streaming

Encanto was basically the animated version of cult classic, catching a second wind on home viewing (though its a reasonable question whether in non-pandemic times it could have caught that wave while still in theaters). The only straight to streaming movie I can think of that became an "event" was Bird Box (sure, Glass Onion, but that was piggybacking off a theatrical success of Knives Out). Oh, and maybe Don't Look Up.

24 minutes ago, M37 said:

Puss in Boots is only available on PVOD, which again requires an active commitment, this time just cost. Soul was high quality and made only a ripple when forced to be released to streaming

Encanto was basically the animated version of cult classic, catching a second wind on home viewing (though its a reasonable question whether in non-pandemic times it could have caught that wave while still in theaters). The only straight to streaming movie I can think of that became an "event" was Bird Box (sure, Glass Onion, but that was piggybacking off a theatrical success of Knives Out). Oh, and maybe Don't Look Up.

7500 (2019) was one of my favorite digital only releases.  Of course, b/c it predates Covid and was an early spend by Amazon for making a movie, that's not a surprise.

I also liked Glass Onion, but you're right - that has an unfair advantage of being a sequel/series continuer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, M37 said:

PVOD is different than SVOD to be sure, just saying it complicates a “cinema exclusive ->event potential, available at home -> no event potential” narrative.  The sort of availability matters — cost, timing, subscriber base size, etc,

In fact I suspect that the digital availability has helped puss at the box office some by letting positive wom spread more, especially on social media with more clips and gifs available to discuss and praise.

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion

50 minutes ago, M37 said:

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The number of movies I've seen in theaters is easily in the hundreds, and I've only walked out of a like 1 or 2 ... they certainly weren't all good! I can probably tell you more about the bad ones than some that were just OK. Yet I've given up on countless movies after 20-60 minutes at home, because they just weren't doing it for me

I know one of the big sells of streaming is the convenience, but when you make it too easy for people to consume, it makes the content more disposable, less memorable. Even dropping all episodes at once and allowing binge watching has a dampening effect, rather than making viewers have to wait a week and becoming appointment TV (like Disney and HBO still do), with then people discussing it between episodes

Agreed. If I’m just watching a movie on tv/streaming for the first time and I get bored, I just change it to something else. I have never walked out of a movie at the theater due to the quality of the film. If I’ve made the commitment to drive 50+ miles to see it, I’m sticking with it until it’s over. 

Full disclosure: I did leave a movie early one time, but it was due to a family emergency and not the film. I made a second trip to the cinema to finish that film…

• Like 1

I mean the flip side to the point about not bailing on a theater (or PVOD) movie midway because of upfront costs/commitment is — often times the alternatives to “watch a movie on svod” is not “watch it in theater” but instead “never start that movie at all.”

3 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Hmm, going to have to disagree with this pretty strongly. I agree that Disney's distribution has been hurtful the brand some at the BO, but Puss has been available at home for weeks. Quality is the key to being an event regardless of release mode. I mean heck, in Encanto's case it was a non-event in theaters and only became an event when they put it on svod.

only due to the mixture of people fleeing from omicron and/or knowing it was coming free on tv on Xmas Eve.  

PVOD a month after theatrical is a whole different thing to straight up free on streaming. That’s why Puss hasn’t really been effected. Just like Bad Guys wasn’t. Hell, I’d rather they put PVOD further out at minimum six weeks, but it definitely doesn’t have anywhere near the detrimental effect that ‘free’ does. 

• Like 1

Numbers starting to roll in:

PiB = $2.75 (+183%) —> $11M

M3G = $2.62 (+165%) —> $9.5M 

Whale = $360K —> $1.2M

Does look like popcorn day Thur bump lowered the Fri increases 

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Whale = $360K —> $1.2M

At the same point, (though no Popcorn Thursday impact)

Scream - $2.06M / $56.9M

Annabelle Creation - $2.53M / $73.1M

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

Whale = $360K —> $1.2M

But ... but Deadline told me that Megan would gross 15M this weekend!

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Whale = $360K —> $1.2M

Kinda low on PiB wouldn't you say? Replacing the popcorn day Thursday and using Fri/Wed bump, Puss is outpacing J:WTTJ (+224% vs +196%). Would think close to 12M for that. 

• Like 1