Eric Lasagna

Live-Action How To Train Your Dragon | June 13, 2025 | Universal | Dean Deblois to return as director

https://deadline.com/2023/02/how-to-train-your-dragon-live-action-movie-dean-deblois-1235261148/

Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s How to Trian Your Dragon will return to the big screen, but as a live-action feature adaptation with the franchise’s 3x Oscar nominated and Golden Globe winning filmmaker Dean DeBlois returning to write, direct and produce the newest entry.

A theatrical release date of March 14, 2025 has been set. At this point, there are no other wide releases on that date.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

> newest entry

> adaption

So is it a remake of #1 or did Hiccup, Astrid, and their children jump to live action for a 4th adventure.

Out of all the Dreamworks movies, these are probably the ones I revisit the least. I still haven't seen 3 -- but I love the soundtrack to 2. They're not bad, I just forget about 'em.

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

> newest entry

> adaption

So is it a remake of #1 or did Hiccup, Astrid, and their children jump to live action for a 4th adventure.

Out of all the Dreamworks movies, these are probably the ones I revisit the least. I still haven't seen 3 -- but I love the soundtrack to 2. They're not bad, I just forget about 'em.

Remake of 1, got to make that nostalgia $$$.

They ain’t even waiting the twenty years to fester. We’re totally getting live action Shrek and Despicable Me next too. Think live action Tangled and Pixar this decade.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

They ain’t even waiting the twenty years to fester. We’re totally getting live action Shrek and Despicable Me next too. Think live action Tangled and Pixar this decade.

I'd watch Live Action Shrek

:ph34r:

23 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tangled and brave i could see. Nothing else.

6 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Tangled and brave i could see. Nothing else.

Elle Fanning (dont know if her previous disney pricess roles would disquality her or not) and Sadie Sink I guess?

I wouldn't be surprise if Disney greenlight remakes for Tangled and Princess and the Frog if this become a hit since this is kinda the test for 2010s nostalgia (at least animated) I mean they would do them anyway but this could be the definitive factor (normally it takes 20 years+ for a remake)

1 hour ago, YM! said:

I think Despicable Me is unlikely to become a live action film as it's a bit too cartoony but Shrek is inevitable, the success of Puss in Boots and the fact Disney has made loads of money from remaking their back catalogue makes it ripe for live action. 

2 hours ago, AJG said:

I’d take a live action Prince of Egypt at this point…

They did a live action Prince of Egypt (without songs) before Prince of Egypt was released, It was called The Ten Commandments. They lifted so many secnes directly from the De Mille film.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Surprised it has taken this long for some studio to think 'Hey Disney is makiing a mint out of live action reamkes of animated films,so why can't we get into the action?'"

If true, it will be the first live action remake of a Computer animated film, though.

I still have no interest in this genre whatsover.

Literally let an evil laugh out loud over this news, both because we're finally seeing other studios dip into the "let's remake our animated hits but in live-action" pool and because Hollywood is already turning to remakes of movies from 2010.

I wonder if they'll bring over any of the actors from the animated movies. Gerard Butler reprising Stoick would be the most obvious one since he's still sort of in demand.