kayumanggi

HELLBOY: THE CROOKED MAN | 2024 | Brian Taylor directs | Jack Kesy stars

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So this got a distributor: Ketchup Entertainment, the same behind Robert Rodriguez' Hypnotic, starring Ben Affleck. Shooting already wrapped back in May.

Wait, this was quick, wasn't it? Woah, they're really making another one without Del Toro, what a shame.

Don't they realize a third one with Del Toro could be huge if well marketed? A lot of nostalgia angles to it, and Del Toro is so big these days.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:29 AM, Arlborn said:

Wait, this was quick, wasn't it? Woah, they're really making another one without Del Toro, what a shame.

Don't they realize a third one with Del Toro could be huge if well marketed? A lot of nostalgia angles to it, and Del Toro is so big these days.

Problem is the Del Toro Hellboy films, though I loved them both personally, did not do all that well at the box office, barely breakig even. I doubt a thitd would be huge.

Del Toro has always been spotty as far as box office goes, he seems unable to put to hits together. His version of 'Nightmare Alley was, despite a stellar cast, a box office failure.

And the last two non Del Toro films are beneath contempt.

I would be there openng night for a thrid Del Toro Hellboy movie, but I would not expect it to be a hit.

The Golden Army opened above expectations. Then TDK opening the weekend after smashed its legs into smithereens. I need to revisit TGA. I remember to have personally found it to be a snoozefest apart from GDT's trademark spectacular creature designs but haven't watched it since it came out and people are claiming it has aged well.

The Crooked Man is a genuinely eerie character and if faithful to the comic, the movie will be the closest to true horror out of all the installments so far. The funny thing is Hellboy's presence is what might sink BO prospects. Like the film would have done better if this was just a straight up horror film with the Crooked Man terrorizing regular folk with no Hellboy association 😛

Edited by Spidey Freak

On 9/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, Spidey Freak said:

The Golden Army opened above expectations. Then TDK opening the weekend after smashed its legs into smithereens. I need to revisit TGA. I remember to have personally found it to be a snoozefest apart from GDT's trademark spectacular creature designs but haven't watched it since it came out and people are claiming it has aged well.

The Crooked Man is a genuinely eerie character and if faithful to the comic, the movie will be the closest to true horror out of all the installments so far. The funny thing is Hellboy's presence is what might sink BO prospects. Like the film would have done better if this was just a straight up horror film with the Crooked Man terrorizing regular folk with no Hellboy association 😛

I really liked both the Del Toro films, but figures don;t lie; Golden Army might have done a little better then expected, but it still lost money.

21 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

How hard could it fucking have been to just hire Del Toro he'd probably say yes 

Del Toro would have asked for a much bigger budget then the producers could afford.

I loved the first two Hellboy movies, but they did not suceed at the box office.

7 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

It would be worth every penny.

Not if you were a stocholdre in the studio making the movie.

You don't seem to get something; Studios exist to make money for stockholders not to make fanboys happy.

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Jeez, the makeup is so cheap and fake looking here.

Looks about what I expected for a low-budget and low-effort rights retainer. Then again, I won't be too hard on them for the former since I imagine finding investors to fund this must have been a nightmare given how badly the last reboot (and Hellboy on film in general) bombed in its day. I just wish they didn't just make a generic haunted horror with a rather tame-looking Hellboy hastily dropped in. I also still think the property should have rested for at least another 5 years, and that they should've tried a TV reboot instead.

• Like 1