GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

Ironic as if you cut out all the context like mediocre WOM, international box office looking to underwhelm and the fact that people are saying it be in trouble rather than it’ll die immediately, then yeah everyone is totally saying the MCU is forever dead. Would expect a bit more brainpower from the guy who sent out threats to the mods.

Threats to mods?! He got that bad?

Also, good opening for Ant Man 3! Let's see if it has legs.

Empire not wrong. MCU will still be the dominant franchise going forward. We got use to ever increasing box office from them. Now they are leveling off some. Most movies are heavily down from pre-pandemic anyway.

I also wonder if the short release windows to streaming has impacted numbers. I've definitely opted for home watch on a couple of their films knowing that it's now just 2 month wait instead of 6+.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Let’s not forget that without taking the Avengers films into the equation Phase 4 has the #1 (NWH), #3 (BP:WF) and #5 (MOM) highest grossing MCU films domestically.

With Love and Thunder outgrossing Ragnarok and Shang Chi being a great success.

The thing is domestically those films are still very very healthy no matter how bad/average they are, but the same thing can’t be said OS where I get the feeling that audiences are really starting to not really care anymore, especially China that boosted a lot of those films globally.

You are going to get away with it (box office wise) once, twice, three times. Eventually will catch up to you. You can't expect to serve a mediocre meal and expect the customers to come back and eat it again and again because you used to be great in the past.

• Like 2

Enough with drama, how about some numbers?

PiB Fri = $1.21M (-8%), which seems more reasonable. Don’t think Deadline was adjusting for holiday Friday matinee bump 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nikostar said:

The problem with Marvel is that they are to silly. There is a reason why Black Panther 1 and 2 was successfully embraced by audience and the awards industry. You can tell a heartfelt story with great acting and still be fun. Hopefully they let coogler do Secrets Wars.

As a none comic reader, and not really a Marvel fan, i actually liked the first Black Panther film the best (literally watched all the Marvel films over 3 weeks from Iron Man to Endgame).

But yeah i agree about the sillyness. And dont get me started on the 'banter' between the characters (awful).

I think its the reason why i have always preferred the DC films, even though they are usually reviewed worse on the whole. The DC films just feel more adult, more darker in tone, more grounded.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 4

The main issue with the MCU right now is that most of the project being put out there are heavily divisive. The only real crowdpleasers they've had since Endgame are Shang-Chi and No Way Home as well as the Loki series. Another big issue is their test screening being limited to friends and employees, thus resulting in a sample far too small and biased to be reliable. Marvel's spoilerphobia might be their downfall. They need to start doing test screenings with average Joes like everyone else in Hollywood.

1 hour ago, Nikostar said:

The problem with Marvel is that they are to silly. There is a reason why Black Panther 1 and 2 was successfully embraced by audience and the awards industry. You can tell a heartfelt story with great acting and still be fun. Hopefully they let coogler do Secrets Wars.

Yeah, the humor has kind of gotten out of hand, I'd argue since 2016....

That being said, I hope Marvel starts releasing more serious movies like Wakanda Forever. I really liked that film.

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Ultron while a step down still was generally well received. It  got a A CS score and 75% score which is ok. That movie was generally well received it just was a step down from the first one. Marvel movies were on a great run in Phase 3 and yes Phase 1-3 had some duds, but most of them were generally good. Now we have movies consistently getting B or B+. Feige is def being spread thin. That doesn´t mean that every movie going forward is going to be perfect if they correct that. But there´s a difference to a Thor Dark world here and there to the movies being consistently being of that quality. They made 18 projects for 2021-22.  From 2016-2019 they made 11. 7 more projects in half the time. If they had made roughly the same amount over the same time period then I doubt it would have gotten so bad.

Agree about the first two points

Ultron was received better than that: you need to pull archive.org for non verified scores to separate new from old reviews. It had ~85% positive on Rotten tomatoes and ~79% of reviews on IMDB were 7/10 or above (baseline rotten tomatoes audience score uses is 3.5 or above). Similarly (re: other discussions) waybackmache-ing stuff like Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and even Incredible Hulk show significantly higher audience scores that we see today.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151115073237/https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avengers_age_of_ultron

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 2

- (6) Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Universal $1,210,000 +286% -8% 3,012 $402 $162,026,100 59
- (4) Knock at the Cabin Universal $1,010,000 +129% -41% 2,601 $388 $27,482,270 15
- (2) 80 for Brady Paramount Pi… $990,000 +52% -46% 3,119 $317 $29,637,811 15
- (5) Titanic (25th Anniversary) Paramount Pi… $620,000 +59% -77% 2,132 $291 $670,106,135 9,192
- (8) Marlowe Open Road $540,000 +157%   2,281 $237 $1,300,000 3
- (10) M3GAN Universal $330,000 +183% -49% 1,389 $238 $92,436,015 43
- (-) Winnie-The-Pooh: Blood an… Fathom Events $202,476 +159%   445 $455 $1,041,734 3
- N Of an Age Focus Features $195,000     289 $675 $195,000 1
- (-) TÁR Focus Features $11,000 +17% -33% 254 $43 $6,515,930 134
- (-) The Fabelmans Universal $10,000 -35% -76% 329 $30 $17,066,290 99
- (-) Violent Night Universal $1,000 -44% -76% 48 $21 $49,793,705 78
  • Like 3

Anyways Phase 4 was moreso leveling off and ultimately most did very well. A $103m/$119m/$235m/$550m performance is solid enough for Quantumania (although it can be of concern if the international box office doesn’t stabilize and goes under AM1). The thing to be concerned of is if WOM for Quantumania and a majority of phase 4 movies continues to be mediocrely received by audiences especially if an Avengers movie got similar reception.

Guardians will more or less be unaffected as Gunn always cooks and the release date change for The Marvels means it’ll likely do better than it did in late July, and with stuff like Deadpool 3 and New World Order being a psuedo Avengers movie, the MCU should still have a heavy amount of hits this phase, with the only question marks being Thunderbolts and Blade. 

Edited by YM!

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The main issue with the MCU right now is that most of the project being put out there are heavily divisive. The only real crowdpleasers they've had since Endgame are Shang-Chi and No Way Home as well as the Loki series. Another big issue is their test screening being limited to friends and employees, thus resulting in a sample far too small and biased to be reliable. Marvel's spoilerphobia might be their downfall. They need to start doing test screenings with average Joes like everyone else in Hollywood.

I’m sorry in what way wasn’t Wakanda well recieved?

9 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

You are going to get away with it (box office wise) once, twice, three times. Eventually will catch up to you. You can't expect to serve a mediocre meal and expect the customers to come back and eat it again and again because you used to be great in the past.

Let’s see what happens with The Marvels and the first Cap without Evans.

Those two will be the true test bench of the MCU going forward.

7 minutes ago, YM! said:

I’m sorry in what way wasn’t Wakanda well recieved?

Exactly. Audience scores are high across the board and it's the only MCU movie to do great at the Oscar. Not Being a crowd pleaser does not mean it was not well received. The film is more serious.

Edited by Nikostar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The bleak and dreary tone no doubt turned a lot of people off. That movie should have reached a billion with ease.

I think with Chadwick gone, it’s possible to say this was the best case scenario.

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Internationally it was more a mixed bag. Plus while I loved the movie, I wouldn't call it a crowdpleaser -- by necessity it had a much different tone.  

Didn’t the first one also have poor WOM in Asia too? And a similar DOM/OS split?